It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greek Mythology? why mythology?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Who said its a mythology or myths?? the 12 gods are not gods but highly advanced humanoid beings who created some people (The Prometheus did who was a great genetist), in my opinion they are mentally and physically more advanced than us, and for info they are coming back, whether some people want it or not.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

A myth is a traditional story, usually with no factual basis, that is accepted as history. The Greeks tried to explain things that they couldn't understand through stories that they could understand. For instance, if you don't understand the mechanics behind rain, you try to explain it through a story of god crying.

--airspoon

[edit on 6-9-2010 by airspoon]

This is what they used to tell us at school,but i totally disagree.Civilazations like the ancient Greeks or Egyptians,with all the knowledge and science they couldn't explain natural phenomena?I don't think so,
My opinion is that the ancient religions (as well as the modern ones) are either a good way to control the masses or the "gods" are real ,they are just more advanced beings than the humans.
All myths apart from the teaching that they contain,they have truth behind them altered and enriched with fiction.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I actually got kicked out of Catholic school for arguing that same point as the OP. They had no real defense and in their frustration decided to kick me out for questioning the facts.

Probably has something to do with why I am now Agnostic.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by VAPatriot
I actually got kicked out of Catholic school for arguing that same point as the OP. They had no real defense and in their frustration decided to kick me out for questioning the facts.

You must have attended the worst Catholic school on Earth if they couldn't defend against the claims of the OP -- a first year seminary student can provide a reasonable defense. More's likely that you indicated no interest in their point of view, and they realized that you weren't going to be making the most of your parochial education, or you were disruptive to others, and gave you the boot for those or other reasons.

Which is fine, conviction of one's ideals is an important first step to self realization and maturity, and I'm glad that you're in a place of belief that you're comfortable with, but don't believe for a second that the Church has no good answer to "why is Christianity different than any ancient mythology?"

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Their answers provoked more questions from me. Their answers all were based in theory not fact. So, yes I do suppose that I was difficult child that was just causing too much trouble.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
A better answer is that a mythos is a collection of beliefs of people, places, and events held by a particular people. Mythology then, is a study of different mythos'........Trying to bring falsehood/truth into it turns the discussion into a religious debate.

By the teacher's definition, you could argue any modern religion as a "myth". I doubt he wants to open that can of worms....

And, you can always remind him/her about the discovery of Ancient Troy...

What does the instructor object to? The idea of a god having a half-mortal son, who is then tasked with deeds, and....hey, which religion were we saying was a myth again? (ahh....)

edit on 17-9-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join