It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dispelling Myths About Muslims

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Many views regarding Islam are the product of myths about Muslims. While this statement may meet with some controversy, I believe it is common sense to the majority. The purpose of this thread is to dispel some popular myths about Muslims and what they believe, support, and do.

1. The majority of Muslims support attacks against unarmed civilians in the name of Islam

The truth of the matter is that the majority of Muslims do not attacks against unarmed civilians. I believe the root of this myth has to do with polls which ask Muslims if they support suicide bombings in the name of Islam. It is important to understand the question being asked in these polls, which has nothing to do with attacking unarmed civilians. It has to do with dying as a consequence of attacking, often literally by strapping a bomb to oneself, but not solely. This speaks more to the Islamic standpoint on suicide than it does homicide, as the context of the query says nothing about who is being attacked. The question is, essentially, "is it moral to commit suicide in order to level an assault against a force that is considered an enemy to Islam."

So, not only are the polls used to support this notion not asking the question that believers of this myth believe is being asked; they also show that the majority of Muslims do not support dying in an attack to defend ones religion. Having said that, the overwhelming view of Palestinian respondents in particular is that suicide bombing is at least sometimes justified. In polls where the question being asked does specify civilian targets, Muslims are overwhelmingly against it. [1], [2], [3]

2. The Koran (or Qu'ran) endorses the murder of infidels - non-Muslims - as a holy task

The most extreme group of fundamentalist Muslims to achieve recognition for their particular take on the Qu'ran and the Hadiths are surely the Wahhabis, also known as the Salafis. Still, a major group of Islamic fundamentalists in Saudi Arabia reviewed acts of "Islamic terrorism" and found that them to be clearly in violation of Shariah, the code of Islamic law. [4] Further, numerous Fatwas (official interpretations of Islamic law by Muslim clerics) have condemned terrorism and even declared that according to Sharia, attacks against non-combatants are a capital offense, deserving of the highest punishment. [5] The popular and orthodox interpretation of Islamic ideology heavily condemns this sort of action.

3. Islam is an enemy to Women's Rights

This is the most complicated myth to dispel because, to put it frankly, there is more truth to this than the above assertions by far. Islam is used as a primary support for the notion of degraded Women's Rights in Saudi Arabia and in many parts of the so-called "Muslim World". I would argue, however, that Islam is the convenient excuse and not the true rationale behind these policies and atrocities. Historically, women in Islam enjoyed more property rights than were available in many parts of Christiandom, but today this is not at all the case. Statistically, Women's Rights in majority Muslim countries are heavily curtailed; there is no denying this fact. The question then becomes this: is the reason for this writ in Islam? Saudi Arabian feminists argue that Islam gives some traditionally male authorities great latitude of interpretation, somewhat analogous to the pope. Laws and rules not written anywhere in the Qu'ran or Hadiths can be cast into stone by the people in these positions. Moreover, they argue that the sexism expressed in these laws is largely a function of tribal custom being expressed as interpretation of Shariah, not a function of Islam itself. These women are themselves devout Muslims. They see no conflict between their faith and their pursuit of equal rights. [5] Saudi Arabia is the gold standard for mistreatment of women with Islam as an excuse. It is important to note that many majority Muslim countries rate well above Saudi Arabia in terms of Women's Rights. [6] Saudi Arabia -- the source of many impressions regarding the treatment of women in Muslim culture -- is the exception, not the rule. The practices of limited female movement (driving, et al), female circumcision, the testimony of women in court being less worthy than that of men, the enforcement of veil-wearing, and many others are not rooted in Islam. [7] They are instead rooted in the attitudes of powerful men who will employ any excuse to support their desire to maintain the status quo in their society, which is most beneficial to them. This is the view of Muslim feminists, who are the true heroes on the front lines of the battle against sexism in the Muslim world.

In summary, I would like to suggest to the audience -- the judges -- that the "problems of Islam" are not rooted in the Qu'ran or the Hadiths. They do take support from the words and policies of some powerful Muslims today; this is undeniable. They are not, however, rooted in the discourse of Islam, any more than the actions of IRA and the persecution of the Crusades were rooted in the discourse of Christianity. They are not rooted in Islam any more than the actions and aggressive foreign policies pursued under certain United States regimes are rooted in the Constitution of the United States, or a belief in self-determination and freedom. They are not rooted in Islam any more than the psychotic cult of personality which is North Korea's current government is the fruit of Buddhism or Confucianism. They are, as always, rooted in the problems of human nature, in the maintenance of the status quo. And they prop themselves up as they have in every culture using every symbol of unification, be it national, religious, or personal, at their disposal.

[1] pewglobal.org...

[2] www.reuters.com...

[3] www.salafipublications.com...

[4] www.salafipublications.com...

[5] www.independent.co.uk...

[6] www.islamfortoday.com...

[7] www.newstilt.com...

[8] www.arabinsight.org...

[edit on 6-9-2010 by JohnnyElohim]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread. Even though I know you trying to show how Islam is really and that all Muslims are not bad. Just wait for everyone to attack you for being an apologist. Thanks again for the thread. Keep up the faith. See the beauty in all!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
[9] www.submission.org...

Deny ignorance. The true evils of the world exist in each of us. Let's work together to be better people instead of focusing on our differences, instead of allowing them to tear us apart. If there is truly a malicious conspiracy out there in the ether, surely this division is it's primary weapon.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Thank you for your reply. I have no doubt that some will think this is all about apologizing for the mistakes made by some Muslims. In reality, this is about separating the mistakes and transgressions of some Muslims from the countless followers of that faith who tirelessly seek to align it with the modern world as it is. Thank you again for your words of support.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyElohim

Good thread.

I too believe a lot of the mis-conceptions arise from the 'Pre-islamic Tribal Traditions'. Muhammad (pbuh) did a lot to get rid of these, some traditions returned and others were held onto.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
for every big group, you can find a subgroup of individuals that will be bad

that happens not only on islam, but in every other religion or aspect of the society

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Nice thread and I have read the book...

I blame the idiots that write these book, including the Bible...

Why are they always written in a way that leaves them open to interpretation??

Also, the majority of muslims can't read it because its not allowed to be translated in many places...

Therefore they belive what they are told it says, not always the truth..

S&F

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

It is not that it is not allowed, the reasoning is much, much worse.

Most muslims know that they should read the Quran, but they instead think that just reading it in the arabic is okay. Now most muslims know how to read (and say the words) in arabic, they just don't know what they are saying. To them it is like reciting gibberish. A couple of people take the time to learn a few arabic phrases and words, but nothing that would be majorly useful in understanding what they are saying.

The reasoning is pure laziness, coupled with a tradition of silliness.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

Most muslims know that they should read the Quran, but they instead think that just reading it in the arabic is okay. Now most muslims know how to read (and say the words) in arabic, they just don't know what they are saying. To them it is like reciting gibberish. A couple of people take the time to learn a few arabic phrases and words, but nothing that would be majorly useful in understanding what they are saying.

so what are you saying? most muslims are idiots and not know what the quaran says?

and those that do are wackjob bombers?

or is it the other way round?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   

I realize that the vast majority of Muslims are not terrorists but I would like to ask you this.

Would any other religion cut off the ears and nose of a young and beautiful and defenseless woman?

Would any other religion do the other unspeakable things they do - like cutting off hands?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

I've spent a lot of time im muslim countries, mainly Malaysia.
I also know a few bussiness assosciates over there and one of them had the quran translated and was ready to have it published but the Goverment stopped them..So I know first hand.

Many of my muslim friends have also told me it's against their religion to speak from the quran in a language other than arabic...

Stupid really, because it does say, as does the bible, to share the word around...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

No. What I am saying is that most who call themselves muslims are just like that because they were born that way (this is why I have TREMENDOUS respect for most converts...whatever they chose, they made an actual, active decision about the direction of their lives). They believe in God, generally try to do good deeds, live their lives, and occasionally put more trust into their scripture teachers than there should be.
Much like most Christians.

Originally posted by CynicalM
I also know a few bussiness assosciates over there and one of them had the quran translated and was ready to have it published but the Goverment stopped them..So I know first hand.

This may possibly have to do with needing the translation to be "Officially Recognised" or "Authorised". Someone I knew in Egypt had to go through a lot of hoops to get the stamp of recognition for their translation (in that case it was required by the Al-Azhar Institute), although in the end theirs was accepted.

Originally posted by CynicalM
Many of my muslim friends have also told me it's against their religion to speak from the quran in a language other than arabic...

Now this part seems really crazy....I'm pretty sure I've seen authorised malay and malaysian translations of the Quran. I wonder where they got that idea from?

reply to post by catwhoknows

Originally posted by catwhoknows
Would any other religion cut off the ears and nose of a young and beautiful and defenseless woman?

But that isn't advocated or allowed by Islam either

[edit on 7-9-2010 by babloyi]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Christians have set people on fire for looking at them funny (evil eye).

Hindus used to burn widows on their husbands' funeral pyres.

Buddhists in Tibet used to chop off body parts for transgressions against Lama Law.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by SmedleyBurlap]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

You know you are half right...

I ran a company in Malaysia..I hired a muslim manager, all the workers are muslims also...

I had many a debate with him centred around me asking how he could pray so many times a day and not have a clue what he was saying..

It is trully blind faith..

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

I think you need to look back at your own religions past deeds,
then remember these people are not as far advanced as us..

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

The same is true in Christianity.

Having settled MANY an argument between Christians, I can tell you that most have no idea what was actually written in the original documents (since the public school system doesn't make you learn Latin and Greek any longer) and many know how to parrot the phrases, but darn few can actually go through there and read the original or at least read with the concordance in hand.

I can. Maybe you can. I've read the Bible (cover to cover) more than four times and looked at samples many different translations (from Vulgate to some of the newest versions)

And so they treat the King James Version in the same way as you accuse the Muslims of doing with the Koran. Your sentence would apply to these Christians: "the reasoning is pure laziness, coupled with a tradition of silliness."

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
come on people,

gotta be the same between islam and christianity.

1.5 bill people each.

equal number of ignorance. equal number of people who have an agenda.

can't say who is more violent. in the reality of NOW!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I really want to know this... I want to see the answers from ATS members..
My cousin docked in Baharain on USS Rosevelt.. His Officer told him to take toilet paper with him. He was told they wipe with their hand... I could google this... But without googling it .. I would like to see what other people have heard..

Also ... Whats the deal with Muhamad being a kid toucher?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I agree that majority of muslims may not support sharia, discrimination of women and violoence against infidels. But why we dont see any public protests against them in the muslim world? To me, there are only two options:
1. moderate muslims just dont care that their religion is being constantly misused for justifying evil actions
2. they silently support the evils done in the name of their religion

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
And before anyone throw up a lot of 'bad' translation and out of context Quran's passages, may I remind that Quran's passages was passed according to condition and time around Muhammad. It was never passed in whole form but instead part by part. Some of the passages where pass down during past wartime thus the significant of those passages are only applied to those condition. Imagine, 'Sun Tzu Art of War'. You could use it as corporate strategy, no?

Furthermore, trying to interpret Quran without reference to hadith and history is like trying to read Jesus words without Peter, Paul, Mark, Luke etc.. narrative. A pure chaos and confusion.

Lastly, make sure your source of Quran's translation isn't published by those who are anti-Islam. You know what they're saying. It's too good to be true.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by EasternShadow]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join