It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guys called Dick... good lord why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 04:14 AM
link   
THis is probably a most unusual rant but I can't help it.... I just can't fathom why a guy would want to be called Dick... doesn't he know what Dick means... doesn't he know that other people know what a dick is. Is it some manly testosterone double dose.. when he hears his name... does he get some sort of perverse pleasure out of it?

Sure it has fallen more and more out of use.. but there are still some Dicks out there and I need an answer!!!!

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Maybe Richard's just like the way it sounds.

Compare the two:

Richard says Palestinian conflicts call for difficult decisions...

vesus

Rep. Dick Armey Calls for Ethnic Cleansing of Palestinians

See what Richard has done here? Now he's got an entire group scared of an impending Dick Army.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Haha, it's hilarious because I've been laughing about something similar for about a week now, and I'm pretty mature. There is a guy on T.V. who's name in pronounced "Dick Buttkiss". It's spelled "Dick Butkus", but even he says butkiss. Hilarious.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Worst. Name. Ever.

I love NASCAR, especially when he's running.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
heh.

i love the expression

"SHUT UP RICHARD!"

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
There is this commercial for a personal alarm geared towards older people, who could fall.

There Doctor Spokes man is.

Dr. Schitman... now WHY I tell you WHY would they use a doctor with that last name...

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
... not as bad as people called "Wayne Kerr" or the derivitives thereof...

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I worked with an old man once named Dick Bush. He refused to let anyone call him Richard and appeared deaf to all the muffled giggles behind his back

There was also a newsguy some years back named Peter Debris.

By the way, I totally agree with the usage of the name "Dick" I always stifle giggles (ala Beavis and Butthead style) whenever I hear someone introduced as "Dick".

Any parents that would name their son "Dick" are Dickheads

[Edited on 23-6-2004 by KayEm]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm
Any parents that would name their son "Dick" are Dickheads

It's still better then calling your kid Penis.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It's not why people named their kids Dick it should be why and How ever did the name Dick come to represent the penis? I believe the name Dick was around before the word "dick" started to be used in a derogative way.

and then there is the word gay....how did homosexuals get to claim the word "gay"? Gay used to mean happy, now...... poor kids can't even sing those old songs with the word "gay" in it, without snickering.

and the damn rainbow....how did gay people manage to steal the rainbow from everyone? rainbows were always so innocent to me...now you see a rainbow bumper sticker and you know what you think...

oops...i find myself ranting in your rant...sorry bout that...carry on

[Edited on 6-23-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

It's still better then calling your kid Penis.

or just not name them richard. look up names online. the bible has tons of common names also.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
History

Use of the rainbow flag by the gay community began in 1978 when it first appeared in the San Francisco Gay and Lesbian Freedom Day Parade. Borrowing symbolism from the hippie movement and black civil rights groups, San Francisco artist Gilbert Baker designed the rainbow flag in response to a need for a symbol that could be used year after year. Baker and thirty volunteers hand-stitched and hand-dyed two huge prototype flags for the parade.

The flags had eight stripes, each color representing a component of the community:
1. Hot Pink for Sex
2. Red for Life
3. Orange for Healing
4. Yellow for Sun
5. Green for Nature
6. Turquoise for Art
7. Indigo for Harmony
8. Violet for Spirit.

The next year Baker approached San Francisco Paramount Flag Company to mass-produce rainbow flags for the 1979 parade. Due to production constraints the hot pink and turquoise were removed and blue replaced the indigo.

This six-color version spread from San Francisco to other cities, and soon became the widely-known symbol of gay pride and diversity it is today

new topics

top topics

join