It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the essence of Consciousness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I was reading the works of stephen hawking the other day and a most bizzare thought occured.

I am making two rather bold assumptions in this theory:

1: that the existance of the human concious cannot exist within the universe without being tied to a body

2 that it may be possible for the human concious to re enter the universe upon its exit

according to the currently accepted theories time had a beggining at the big bang,

if so then before or outside the universe time does not exist.

draw a bubble of the universe, within it contained is a line of time. you are born at a point on the time line, you will die at a point on the time line. years later, your concious may re-enter the universe in some other life, you will be born again, and die again, but some time appart. the amazing thing is that upon ur death and exit of the universe time will cease. not pause. the present is an aspect of time. a still picture, this too will disapear as time does, for without time nothin can exist, because if anything, even a spec existed it could be used to as a frame of reference for somthing else to be measured against and in doing so create time.

taking this into account, it seems there is no good reason you cant re enter the universe before you died, you have no frame of reference with time removed completely. it is therefore possible for you to re enter at the same time as you are currently living. expanding this idea its possible that you, or indeed i are every1 at the same time. living out lives, dying and re entering in one enourmous chain of singlular existance. for example i live now, i will die. i may come back as you, you wil under go the same process, come back as joe. joe will do the same become barrack obama etc etc. until every soul is accounted for over all of time

this idea has merit, i think as it seems more logical than a world with multiple concious, because then the question of why any number of concious is solved. why 40435 rather than 454454 souls?. being part of a singular system seems more logical.

it also solves the predicament of why your mothers soul would get to exist 20 odd years ( for most ) longer than your own forever ( if you beleive your soul is created upon ur conception or birth )

before you religeous extremist squeel at the violation of countless beliefs may i advise that this is a theory purly for the sake of exploring ideas, for if god did not want us to be curious he would not have made us so would he not.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by C1OUD]

[edit on 6-9-2010 by C1OUD]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by C1OUD

I'll let my favorite Civil Rights Leader Glenn Beck, pass on some words of wisdom about this:

"Empathy leads to very bad decisions"
- Glenn Beck

if i have to be reincarnated, preincarnated, or postencarnated as bin laden or some other characters on this rock, i won't be too happy about it.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
indeed i did suspect this would be the imediate thoughts of many, of evil people in the past present or future, but i personall beleive that

1: good or bad is a matter of perspective, weather we like it or not, ( not that i condone acts of evil i do own my own perspective )

and

2: that which makes each individual unique is formed entirely from aspects which are described in our universe such as genes and experiances.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
If both of your assumptions are given, then where exactly is the mind going when it dies, if no longer in the universe? I think this "outside" area is a pretty glaring hole that probably can't be solved without an ad hoc conjecture. Despite Hawking's wacky ideas about the universe spawning from higher-dimensional branes, physics is usually a very down-to-earth place where untethered speculation is highly frowned upon.

I personally think the only real way to link spirituality with classical physics is through quantum mechanics. Spiritually speaking, many cultures consider our waking moment-to-moment experience as a secondary reality, or illusion. Quantum mechanics seems to suggest that the separation between physical objects is likewise an illusion. There are many uncanny parallels to be found between the two, that's just one basic example.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by C1OUD

I am making two rather bold assumptions in this theory:

1: that the existance of the human concious cannot exist within the universe without being tied to a body

2 that it may be possible for the human concious to re enter the universe upon its exit

according to the currently accepted theories time had a beggining at the big bang,

if so then before or outside the universe time does not exist.

Does`nt assumption 2 - contradict assumption 1 ?????

Is consciousness not the product of the mind ..... and `the mind`- what the brain `does` ?.

And the physical brain being a most perishable of things .

[edit on 6-9-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
We are all energy, we cant be created or destroyed. We will live in some form or another forever.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
We are all energy, we cant be created or destroyed. We will live in some form or another forever.

top topics

join