It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You A Lukewarm Christian ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Are You A Lukewarm Christian ?

1. Lukewarm people attend church fairly regularly. It is what is expected of them, what they believe “good Christians” do, so they go. Isaiah 29:13 2. Lukewarm people give money to charity and to the church as long as it doesn’t impinge on their standard of living. If they have a little extra and it is easy and safe to give, they do so, After all, God loves a cheerful giver, right? 1 Chronicles 21:24, Luke 21:1-4 3. Lukewarm people tend to choose what is popular over what is right when they are in conflict. They desire to fit in both at church and outside of church; they care more about what people think of their actions (like church attendance and giving) than what God thinks of their hearts and lives. Luke 6:26, Revelation 3:1, Matthew 23:5-7 4.

www.simplymissional.com...

There's more at the link provided and please do chime in .

Would have to agree with this list but i'm sure not every christian is like this , but there are lots that are and don't even know it .

If this is in the wrong forum then please move but it has to do with religion so i figured this would be a good place for it .

[edit on 6-9-2010 by PS3Geek]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PS3Geek

My thoughts are that lukewarm Christianity is becoming more common today because 'fast food' churches seem to be commonplace. People just want 30 minute 'pep me up' sermons, so they can pat themselves on the back for doing something for God. I really think it is a sign of the times we are in. It's a fast food world, and its even that way outside the churches.

I think because churches have accomodated this thinking, the quality of the 'chair warmers' is only as good as the quality of the church. If there is no conviction, there is no change. IF it's only about numbers, then that church is not going to be very effective, and if it is only 'canned sermons' (talking about the same 52 sermons year after year, written by software companies) than you are going to have a 'sleeping audience'.

One last point, these evangelistic crusades......these are not complete deliverance meetings. The heads that are counted are probably the same ones counted every year at the same event.

With all this going on, people living out their old life thinking they are saved, people sitting through church services that could give the same message verbatim (because they've heard the same thing for 5 years, 5 times, complete with same examples) and churches are being led by pastors that were never called by God to teach, accommodating childrens ministries with 'Harry Potter' material to teach, its no wonder there are a lot of lukewarm people walking around out there. They probably have no clue.

I think it begins with the churches. They have left 'relationship with God' out of it, by not addressing anything spiritual. If the head is sick, so becomes the rest of the body.

Oh well, thats my .02 on it. Excellent topic OP.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Wow! Excellent Post OP thank you for the link as well. Talk about convicting!

I just think as fellow believers, we need to be careful not to judge too quickly. Personally, I would be lost if Christ was not whom I depended on daily for everything. Unfortunately, too many Christians fall into the categories listed.

Worse yet is what is being taught in these churches today. You know, "All roads lead to God" and a "good and loving God would never send someone to a place like hell."

Those are the ones who are truly lost. I think we learn by experience. I will say if one is living their life depending on themselves to keep it under control, God will certainly present a situation where their eyes will be on Him and Him alone. Its happened many times to me. I call this process sanctification.

For it is only through our suffering we learn and grow in our compassion and faith.

May God Bless you for bringing this to the attention of many.

Pax

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Excellent topic.

Obligatory second line.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
At least it keeps them away from hanging around on streetcorners on soapboxes.

Neither is there so much brimstone or fundamentalistic blodshedding these days.

Suits me fine.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PS3Geek

I used to be a churchgoer, as a child I never questioned what I was told and taught there, as a young teenager I didn't pay attention. As a young adult I saw that the church is a sham. I know now that God exsists, he is in my life and works miracles for me and the world around me. He is awesome, but he is not found in church. He is found in your heart.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by PS3Geek

Here is what a Christian is not.

Attending a church that is called "Christian" but is not.

I am a Christian, and I am angry that so-called Christian churches are named after Him.

There is no such thing as a luke-warm Christian. And there is no such thing as the "Christian" church.

Christ was not about fronting up to church and being hypocritical.

Christ was about loving your fellowman.

Having said that, there are a lot of Christian vicars who are doing their best, and I salute them - but Christ has no church - He is there for believers.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Amen Catwhoknows! That is what I think too. I do my 'tithing' in the streets, within my family and friends, those in need. If I can ease their worries even for a minute, that is what I do, and I feel good about the results. I am not placing a crown on my own head, I am just doing what I think god would have me to do.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The 'lukewarm' do not have a personal relationship with the Lord.

They neither understand the power, language and message of Love, nor the force of passionate denial.

For or against, they are simply not 'engaged'.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I agree pretty much with what has been said so far...

Let me tell you a little story..... Last year i felt God placing a message in my heart. I spoke out in church at the appropriate time.. not disrespectful, but because it dealt with the morals of our country and where it was going....

I got a call later that afternoon. The preacher had gotten some calls that thought my remarks were inappropriate, and made some uncomfortable. He said we don't want to do that, that we don't want to "mess up a good thing." I promised him, and my wife( who said she was embarrssed) that I would not make any such comments there again.

I just finished my term as a deacon, as a sunday school teacher, and any other connection as the new calender year for the church has begun...

Now that my commitments to that church are done, I shall keep my promise and never say anything in that place ever again...

Comfortable Christians are in a most dangerous setting.... I don't want to be comfortable, I want to be helping people and telling the truth through my actions. Not waste 10 minutes of a church assembly wondering if we will have fried chicken or BBQ at the next social...

I will always be with Jesus and He with me...but not in an organized church setting anymore.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
These days everybody is a lukewarm christian, the bible standard is just too high for modern times. I'll give you an example: premarital sex, everybody does it and consider it okay, but it is of course fornication, which is forbidden by the bible.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Not me, I was a christian but now i denounce all religious activity for pure spirituality. Religion has been stifling our spiritual growth for millennia, it needs to end.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by nlouise

Yes i agree that most of these people who are like that just go to church cause they're comfortable going and don't have to worry about god turning his back on them but you hit the head on the nail spot on . This is why i don't go to church it's all the same everytime you go . Thanks for your input .

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Totally agree with that they're taught what the church owners want them to know they should talk about the end times and revelations but then these people wouldn't go back there .

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I went to church when i was younger too but never liked it but i know that the most churches are just about themselves and having the most people visit them and collect money .

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Agreed but these lukewarm christian's do exist i mean you see them all the time trying to show off that they go to church as if anyone really gives a dang which i don't but still agree on your premise .

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by teapot

More like they pretend to as to make other people think that they're all good and whatnot but if you didn't agree with these people they would think you're the devil .

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

They just wanna hear the good stuff and never the bad partly because it scares the crap out of people and would rather live in ignorance and denial .

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Yeah agreed like premarital sex people do it all the time , swearing , etc etc people don't care really .

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by theuhstuf

I despise religion .

Off-topic but is there a way to multi-quote ? Thanks for your replies everyone .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join