It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AV referendum bill clears first Commons hurdle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

AV referendum bill clears first Commons hurdle

www.bbc.co.uk

Plans to change the way MPs are elected have cleared the first Commons hurdle.

A bill introducing a referendum on changing the voting system, changes to constituency boundaries and fewer MPs, were backed by 328 votes to 269.

Labour says the changes would hit affect Labour-supporting areas and said the bill was "political skulduggery".

Tory opponents of the referendum said it could cost £100m but deputy PM Nick Clegg said it would restore "people's faith in the way they elect their MPs".

Despite criticism, the bill passed with a majority of 59 and a Labour bid to kill it off w
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well, it's beginning.

The biggest change to British democracy in decades, possibly centuries. Our fake governmental system is now going to become much more of an open shooting match, with coalitions being the norm in government.

The main outcome? Extremely rich individuals will no longer be able to buy a government in the UK if AV passes. As has been seen recently, a single billionaire donor to a campaign can swing votes in favour of a party through the power of PR and good marketing. Unless they wish to buy a coalition, which doubles the cost, it's going to get a whole let better.

I can't wait for this bill to pass - finally the country bumpkins with too much money will no longer have their way all the time.

Thoughts anyone?

Parallex

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Interesting news. I can see why this would make voting fairer, because each constituency will have about the same amount of voters in it for once.

I'm not quite getting why you think it's gonna be this big a deal though. I don't see how this will stop billionaires from influencing elections. Not saying your wrong I just don't see it

join