It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS 2010 Updates Thread - #(UPDATE Nov. 10)#

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

A fantastic job by all.
Everything is rockin here
BUT
(May I request the option buttons be enlarged in the reply page)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Bring back the Foe feature ATS and stop pretending this is magic candy-cane land where everybody loves each other and always gets along while we ride pink unicorns around like a bunch of mindless idiots!

I could be wrong, but I think SO is more than a bit leary of criticism (perhaps not believing in the constructive variety); to a degree that goes beyond concern for decorum and friendly relations. Sure, there is a need to dampen the ease with which one can be negative on a site like this where some people seem not to have any self control. But preventing it all together is going too far IMHO.

We should have the option of "foeing" someone, perhaps with a requirement for it to be explained or something, and we also should have some sort of negative flag or star system -- we just have to! There are some posts or threads that are just so wrong in so many ways that not being able to express that is torture.

It could go beyond just a thumbs down type of symbol. Some posts or threads deserve a laugh emoticon because either they are so rediculous, or maybe even funny. Some deserve the bewilderment label.

We can apply these to our own comments, why not others? I don't think we should be so afraid of feedback; even if its critical. Some threads and posts just beg for it.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Sorry if this was already covered but this is a 51 page thread so bare with me.

I noticed there is no way to subscribe to a thread now unless you post in it.
Am I doing something wrong??
My subscriptions list is where I keep all my favourite threads and is kind of like my archives of useful information and just the stuff i really like.

When the full update is done will we still have this feature??
Some threads I don't post in but subscribe to it for easy access at a later date.

Also forgot to mention that my top button doesn't work.

edit on 15-10-2010 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
We should have the option of "foeing" someone, perhaps with a requirement for it to be explained or something, and we also should have some sort of negative flag or star system -- we just have to! There are some posts or threads that are just so wrong in so many ways that not being able to express that is torture.

The "negative star" method was already used and abandoned.

While a positive classification of a post or thread cannot be abused, a negative classification can, and it was used by groups of members that would negatively classified any post from some members even before it had any answer, so those posts/threads were always seen as bad when in fact most of them were at most regular posts/threads, just made by someone that was not popular to some members.

That's why I am against negative classification of a post/thread.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

There is a "Subscribe" button just below the Flag counter. I've had times where the text wasn't visible, though the button still functioned.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
New Update and Significant Change

The "foe" list was never intended to be a listing of people you don't like. So the core concept has been revised to that of "rivals," or, the ATS members who often disagree with you, but challenge you to think harder and push yourself to learn more in your quest to deny ignorance.

Your profile also now contains a link to list threads started by your rivals. So... if there's anyone on that list you really don't like (for some reason, possibly abusing the core idea of the "foe" concept), you'd be well-advised to review and revise your list of rivals (which contains all your previous foes.)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I like the name change.

Though, I've never really used the Foe feature myself.
edit on 15-10-2010 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Slight problem with the list of recent threads by our rivals. I don't have any, never have, yet if I click the 'rivals' button to see their recent threads posts by SimonGray and William show up. Shouldn't that page be blank since I don't have any rivals?
edit on 15-10-2010 by Jenna because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Good point.

I just checked and have Mirthful Me, nyeff, xaos & Skyfloating' threads listed. Yet to my knowledge I have NEVER used the FOE feature and the current Rival list is blank.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
New Update and Significant Change

The "foe" list was never intended to be a listing of people you don't like. So the core concept has been revised to that of "rivals," or, the ATS members who often disagree with you, but challenge you to think harder and push yourself to learn more in your quest to deny ignorance.

Ok good, you brought them back but with a new name, I'm good with that. Are we going to get the green and red bars over our friends and rivals posts again?

Also, I would like to see the lists of people who have friended and rivaled me back on my profile.

And I still want my BTS smileys back.

You do know that now that you've started making changes, we'll never be satisfied, right?

Edit to add: I just checked in the member pull down menu, there is no option to add someone as a rival yet. It's not on the profile page either. How do I add someone to my rivals list and do they still get a u2u when I do it?
edit on 10/15/10 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Also, I would like to see the lists of prople who have friended and rivaled me back on my profile.

Yes, it was always very cheering to notice when the first list was gradually getting longer.
And without that, how do we know when to respond?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
Slight problem with the list of recent threads by our rivals.

Corrected.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I love the friends/rival most recent threads feature. Amazing!

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
And we're now showing you a "ONE OF YOUR FRIENDS" graphic in posts.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Hi SO - great work so far. Just curious, what does this graphic look like? I don't see anything in posts that are written by someone on my friends list... what cool stuff am I missing out on?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Hi SO - great work so far. Just curious, what does this graphic look like? I don't see anything in posts that are written by someone on my friends list... what cool stuff am I missing out on?

I don't see anything either?

Second line.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
I don't see anything in posts that are written by someone on my friends list

I don't see it either, and I checked several people just to be sure.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I just added a friend and don't see a tag graphic either.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Sorry... forgot to remove one of the testing parameters.

You should now see it in the background of the actual post, not in the mini-profile.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Well that's better.

Not so intrusive as the older way.

new topics

top topics

<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join