It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS 2010 Updates Thread - #(UPDATE Nov. 10)#

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I agree. I am one of those apparently very few people who used the Links on the right-hand side as one of the major ways I navigated around. Having them to the side of the thread allowed me to note if I had missed a new thread, what the top threads for the day were etc etc AND I USED THEM REGULARLY!

Now I'm going to have to rethink how I navigate this site completely.

Apart from that, I love the rest of the changes but PLEASE for the love of all things sane PLEASE put those links back.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Now I do miss the BTS Smileys though

Yes that is sad :shk:

Re: Emo's on BTS. They still work though. If you know the codes. Fort Anthem put them all somewhere on this very thread.

But I bet SO puts them back. And gives us back "your friend" banner over avatars. And makes Tools default to Profile Page. And makes our signatures larger. And orders us a pizza and makes us a blender of marguerita's.

SkepticOverlord Giveth, and SkepticOverlord taketh away.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The flagging bar at the bottom is gone, I get all the codes (posts flags stars) except 1 what is the last one with a "W" mean?

Anybody/ that knows for sure can answer this one.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

The W stands for WATS, or Way Above Top Secret. It's an index that reflects how many stars and flags we have and is used to generate the "Top 50 Members" list as a way (I think) of highlighting some of the best/most popular content the site has to offer.

Specifically, it's calculated as W = (flags * stars)/200000

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Um, might I suggest that SkepticOverlord add a little pop-up menu, when you hover the mouse cursor over the "W" and other statistics? Sort of like the help pop-ups at the top of the page.

Lots of people seem to be wondering what the numbers are all about.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
I can't surf ats with no new thread list on the right

Use the new topics link in the menu at the top.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Hmmm..My "P F S W" have no numbers next to them for some reason.
Any ideas?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

The numbers are there, but in light yellow type, and your background is light green.
Squint at the screen a little, and then consider changing the background colour.

edit on 30-9-2010 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by FortAnthem

I agree. I am one of those apparently very few people who used the Links on the right-hand side as one of the major ways I navigated around. Having them to the side of the thread allowed me to note if I had missed a new thread, what the top threads for the day were etc etc AND I USED THEM REGULARLY!

Now I'm going to have to rethink how I navigate this site completely.

You know what's crazy and upside down?

The site is now easier and more efficient to navigate whilst offline.
No massive avatars and signature spaces, the list of all the threads available on the side of the page as many of you desire, and all around greater amount of significant content on each page.

Sure one has to put up with an exorbitant amount of ads, but despite that, one still gets more concise content per page.

So that's what I've been doing ... browsing ATS logged off and logging on should I wish to contribute a post.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Most-likely a 240 pixel maximum height for the avatar, no height limit for backgrounds.

It appears that the width changed, too. What is the size for avatar width changed to now?

Looks like it's gonna be 170x240 ... I think?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Ahhhh thats where it went!!
Thanks,that helps alot.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Ah,cheers buddy.Ill change the colour.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I feel severely handicapped without that side-bar, as that was my main way to navigate the content. The 'new topics' button at the top seems to not be the same, not refreshing, or maybe a little of both? It doesn't seem to list the newest topics, as they are started. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

I used to come on this site and browse the brand new threads being started but now that this option is gone, I'm relegated to just checking the threads that I have already participated in and that's it. I used to either browse the new threads or start new threads, though I now have nowhere to go, thus my time here has been drastically reduced (which is probably better for my work and RL anyway
).

It's kind of funny that just a couple of months ago, I had said to someone that the two design features that separate ATS from other boards and most likely make it more successful, is the S&F system and the side bar with the newest/popular/flagged threads. Lol, I guess I was wrong.

SO said that there might be an added 'show/hide' option for ATS Live content but I'm not sure what that is, so for now, I guess I'll just occupy my time with what I should be doing anyway, RL. I will however continue to look for a way to compromise.

--airspoon

edit on 30-9-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
SO said that there might be an added 'show/hide' option for ATS Live content but I'm not sure what that is, so for now, I guess I'll just occupy my time with what I should be doing anyway, RL.

Look to your right.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Look to your right.

That's cool, but it says new topics are updated in realtime....Umm, you sure about that?

I just posted this new story:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And it's nowhere to be found on the list. And it's been over ten minutes I think, maybe more...

Scratch that. It's been almost an hour....

edit on Thu Sep 30th 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I like that

I think it could be a little bit bigger (maybe letters the size of the ones in blue navigation bar) to stand out more, but I think it's a pretty good solution for those of us who really missed the lists.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Oh wow, that's cool but as True American said, it doesn't seem to be updating. The newest post seems to be a couple of days old. Maybe just a kink in the code? Anyway, thanks for adding it.

--airspoon

edit on 30-9-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
And it's nowhere to be found on the list.

It's the third topic in the new topics list for me.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
And it's nowhere to be found on the list.

It's the third topic in the new topics list for me.

It is in the new topic FIREHOSE:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But not in the new topic LIST, which is what your sidebar opens up to...

EDIT: ok, now it is... You sneaky, sneaky...

edit on Thu Sep 30th 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The new topic, threads etc on the right sidebar is very cool, while reading a post and clicking on it you can see what is happening, doesn't interfere with the thread your reading, you also close it and continuer what you're doing..You can also scoll in the thrrad while it's up..

Thanks SO, love that feature, it gets better everyday.

new topics

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join