It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS 2010 Updates Thread - #(UPDATE Nov. 10)#

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I don't know....it looks like you've got them all. :bash:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Yeah but, they used to be just one click away when you posted in BTS, now they only have the boring ATS smileys off to the side.

Remembering all those smiley codes is hard on the brain and they're easy to mess up.

Free the BTS Smileys!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Don't think I've visited BTS since we've been "under construction", but I will miss them when I go.

Other:

Thanks for the option on myats to go to the OP, or to the last post. Really nice.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Let's do the 90's thing and put one of those signs up:

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Smilies !

Make this link a favorite et voilà.

You're welcome.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Not that I don't have willpower, because I most certainly do.

But would it be possible, at some point, to have the recent posts page NOT show a particular thread or threads you don't want to ever see again? Or must we get rid of the entire forum to hide one thread?

Wish list.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I am very dissapointed about new - pokemon style colorised discussion board layout. And I think many ATS visitors are. I was not registered member but I am active forum viewer many years.

Do we have skin for the old layout? It was much, much better - thought-out layout, more foreseeable topics, easier to navigate through pages, not space consuming etc.

Now we have have nothing of that. Just a childish garbage, big letters, big spaces between topics, multi colours and so on. Did you hire new designer or what? For smaller screen's (not everyone have 26" plus lcd's) it's very annoying.

And who's idi%$s brilliant idea was that by default, after clicking from main discussion board page to for example www.abovetopsecret.com... you are redirected to a crappy page, full of everything but Aliens_and_UFOs forum topics. Only after good search on that useless page you can find a small link www.abovetopsecret.com... that finnaly redirects you to the Aliens_and_UFOs topics page.

edit on 19-9-2010 by baltais because: grammar

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Please answer me this.

I've noticed in the forum thread lists that some of the threads have a vertical line up front. Just like you get with ex tags.

What is the purpose of this line ? Why ? How ? Glitch ?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

These are the threads with more than 200 replies.
I can tell you the exact figure, because I've just noticed it on one of mine (201 replies)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Not that I don't have willpower, because I most certainly do.

But would it be possible, at some point, to have the recent posts page NOT show a particular thread or threads you don't want to ever see again? Or must we get rid of the entire forum to hide one thread?

Wish list.

There is a little (-) sign next to the thread.
Clicky it

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yo.

Ah, but I read elsewhere that the minus sign removes the entire forum that particular thread is in. Has this changed?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Ahh you're right I thought it just removed that thread.
Very good eye that should be an option.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure that it still removes the entire forum.

I agree with you that it would be nice to be able to ignore certain individual threads -- there's usually one or two around here getting a lot of play that I know I'd be better off not even looking at but can't seem to stop myself.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Thanks.

But... Isn't that kind of useless ?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well, I removed a few choice forums, and now my Recent Posts page is a happier and calmer place.

But if that's the desired result, perhaps we should question if that's the best solution. Isn't it a philosophical extension of the "ignore poster" button, which was recently removed?

Perhaps we should be able to vote certain forums "off the island": if more than X% of active members in a given day have it removed from their recent posts page, away it goes...

edit on September 19th 2010 by Ian McLean because: To fix the "reply to" tag... sorry Sinter Klaas; that's what happens when I try to follow multiple interleaved threads of conversation before making coffee...

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

As far as I know you can decide which forums are available.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

edit on 20/9/10 by B.Morrison because: what I thought to be an offering of wisdom on re-read became foolishness....ain't that always the way...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I heard someone mention that the new layout was designed for those browsing the internet or surfing in from search engines and I don't know how true that is but it does make sense, after all this is a business.

and were these necessary changes to make in that context then? I could appreciate that..we all have to survive....I'm not saying you can't have to much of a good thing however...ala mc d's or walfart...

When it's all said and done, where the rubber hits the road, you adapt and overcome. What looks cheap to us, looks better to the next guy/gal. You can't please us all and all we can really do is roll with the punches and work with what we have. After all, it's not like we are trading that powerful engine for a cheaper one, right? The body style may be different but the members are the same dynamic and evolving bunch that powered the old site.

I think the cars computer chip would have to be the staff & owners then no? or the steering wheel? perhaps the ATS staff could answer that one best...

What I find interesting tho is that (i think) the engine preferred the old body and the new body is designed for drawing different broader crowds, in other words, people with not enough of an interest in the content to have participated in the website before...

do you see what I'm getting at here? I'm guessing the engine does not care more about the guest driver's lust for a shiny plastic body-kit, than its own interests - accessing & discussing openly these 'somewhat' taboo topics. And as this website becomes more mainstream...will the content also?
what about counter-intelligence efforts? would an oil spill event being discussed on future ATS for e.g. cause an oil company to be more inclined to flood ats with fake members posting pro-oil company propaganda or disinfo if ATS is drawing the membership of bookface? I suppose it would make for a more exciting environment....perhaps a more dangerous one in some ways...

what if the engine doesn't adapt well to the new installations...the engine could fails if it began to feel like a show pony so to speak, though I'm aware that's taking it to the extreme.....doesn't mean the extreme isn't a part of reality...

this is why ATS has become so popular and is so large and successful. As long as the mechanics stay the same (and a competitor doesn't emrge), this site could be pink with little fairies everywhere and it would still be better and more popular than most others, as it combines the benefits while nixing the draw-backs of the two dominant styles of information focused websites.

DESPITE these perhaps bitter and skeptical observations...
I ALSO accept the reality that there aren't any better alternatives to ATS, at least none that I've found, even if did go pink with little fairies...and I have no intention of leaving just yet...

I wish you all the best "collective ATSers", and I hope only for improvements to the 'user-generated content ecosystem' in the future for us all to enjoy....

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

edit on 20/9/10 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
This new lite greay is really obnoxious when you are used to the old grey.

How can I change it back?

Ugh Im going to go till this is worked out, I cant read this like this...

hurts my eyes.

edit on 20/9/2010 by badw0lf because: meh

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
RIght, I logged out, clicked on a link and it was normal. I copied the link, and logged back in and it was this white grey.

Somehow I've done something and I have no idea what.

Can someone tell me how to reset my ATS settings, please??

edit on 20/9/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join