It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who decides what sin is?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
It really does, that's just awesome.

Edit: as far as the scepticism and doubt, I know where you've been. I grew up in a Roman Catholic Parochial school and rebelled against their forceful ways. Abandoned faith for 20 years and found true faith some time ago. It's interesting to see how people come to faith in Christ.

[edit on 9/6/2010 by kinglizard]

I have faith in everyone, Christ, Buddha, Muhammed, you, me, Darwin, Everybody.

I love em all! Just more especially JIM!

Your Brother

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Oh I see, I wasn't really aware of your belief set.

Jim...yeah, he rules.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Oh I see, I wasn't really aware of your belief set.

Jim...yeah, he rules.

No worries Brother, it is completely compatible with your own.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

That about sums up my heathen ways.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM
No worries Brother, it is completely compatible with your own.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Hey brother, I respect your attitude. That's a great way to live and treat your neighbor. I wish I could do better on that one myself.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Hey brother, I respect your attitude. That's a great way to live and treat your neighbor. I wish I could do better on that one myself.

Here is how I do it Brother,

When someone pisses me off, I remember that they are new born babes entrusted to my care.

When I piss someone else off, I remember that I am a new born babe entrusted to their care.

Love em all, and hope they love me back!

With Love,

Your Brother

[edit on 6-9-2010 by IAMIAM]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xionmir
So me and my friend where talking about the comedy of Dante's Inferno and I asked that since the church has a history of lying who's to say that the sins they say are sins, are sins? How do we know what God thought of as as bad is actually different than our view on it? And how does the church know that the punishments in hell are separated depending on what you do?

So many questions but i feel they are important in understanding the world around us and learning to question the common knowledge. And to the mods please move this if this is the wrong spot.

God decides what sin is, since sin is rebellion of God.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

But then we must ask ourselfs what a rebellion is against God.

Is it being hateful to him? Denying he existed?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Xionmir

Yes and yes.

"And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself." Luke 10:27

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:"

Romans 1:18-20

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

reply to post by NOTurTypical

But then we must ask ourselfs what a rebellion is against God.

Is it being hateful to him? Denying he existed?

My Sister,

Too much concern has been placed in God's Judgement. In the beginning God created. At each step he judged everything he created as GOOD!

God does not judge. He created all things from him and he is all good. Man too is created from God. Man is Good! It is our judgements of each other and God which create the illusions which cause us to make each other suffer. Deep in our being we all know we are good. But, in the harsh world we live in we receive so many judgements from ourselves and others, we perceive ourselves to something other than good.

Judge not yourself, God, others. Love ALL always for it is good. To do otherwise is to Sin, for sin is a departure from the realisation of our goodness.

Be Blessed my Sister, and know that you are loved,

Your Brother

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM
When someone pisses me off, I remember that they are new born babes entrusted to my care.

When I piss someone else off, I remember that I am a new born babe entrusted to their care.

Love em all, and hope they love me back!

That's a great way to look at things. I'm a Christian but I'm far from perfect....but who is really. Not making excuses for myself, I need to do better.

I can have a temper at times. It's something I attempt to control in real life but still I have the ability to go from one to one hundred in a nanosecond.

It's good to analyze your life to see where you can do better.

[edit on 9/7/2010 by kinglizard]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

That's a great way to look at things. I'm a Christian but I'm so far from perfect....but who is really. Not making excuses for myself, I need to do better.

I can have a temper at times. It's something I attempt to control in real life but still I have the ability to go from one to one hundred in a nanosecond.

My Brother,

You have befriended me when I was a stranger. You have not judged me when our views were different. You have shown me your weaknesses with humility, you are good.

And as far as I AM concerned, you are just the way God made you, perfect.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

What a beautiful thing for a person to read. Thank you, it's really touching.

I say the same of you I AM.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

First its brother >.>

Second, very inspiring, but we aren't all good. We have the potential for purity is very real. When Adam and Eve took they bite of the fruit of knowledge they gained a sin that is passed down but can be "contained" and that, I would assume is knowledge and so we all start off more bad than good but can change the sin into a way to make good in the world.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

reply to post by IAMIAM

First its brother >.>

Second, very inspiring, but we aren't all good. We have the potential for purity is very real. When Adam and Eve took they bite of the fruit of knowledge they gained a sin that is passed down but can be "contained" and that, I would assume is knowledge and so we all start off more bad than good but can change the sin into a way to make good in the world.

My apologies Brother, Your avatar threw me.

I respect your view of Adam&Eve.

I have my own interpretation that views it bit more as a metaphor. The fall of man being our descent from Birth. At Birth we are pure. We are also perfectly good. As we grow from the womb, life throws at us either good, or evil, evil being the evils suffered by our aggressors which made them evil. I believe the cycle began with a parting from love, ie. the pains we receive through life. And, can be broken by Love, ie. we forgive our aggressors, cleansing ourselves of evil and returning to that pure love state.

I know it works because I have actually tried it with others. I have reformed people with love and they become perfectly loving beings. It isn't easy, it takes a lot of love, but it is possible.

This is further backed by modern psychology, which is in its infancy, but catching up.

So, thank you for sharing Brother. I understand your perspective, but I am happy to keep my own understanding of Adam & Eve.

I believe we are all good, just in a lot of pain.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

I never actually looked at it that way
Thanks for they additional view on this. Maybe now I can look at everything differently now.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

reply to post by IAMIAM

I never actually looked at it that way
Thanks for they additional view on this. Maybe now I can look at everything differently now.

I am glad my perspective added something to your own Brother. When I read the Bible I imagine it as the word of an infinitely loving Father. He wouldn't tell me nightmares to force me to be good. He would tell me loving stories to encourage me to be good on my own.

Either way, it is your journey. Read it, love it, live it. Everyone will tell you what the right interpretation is. I will tell you, interpret it yourself, with love, and you will not ere.

Good luck,

Your Brother

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

reply to post by spy66

Wow, i was just about to ask if thinking bad things where sins too.
But moving on....

I wrote this recently, but it applies to your question., especially the last part.

'I saw a video with several people who had had a near death experience.
Those I saw all mention that they go to the light, and a heavenlike place, the selfprofessed atheist said he experienced the same thing.
At this place they saw, what could be called the 'video-reel' of their lives. The interesting part of this is that not only did they experience what they themselves had said/thought/felt, but also what the other people in their lives thought/felt.

Now, if we argue that what they experienced, the NDE, only happened in their own consciousness, how could they get the inside info on what others thought/felt?

In an understanding of the universe from a modern physics PoV, everything is energy. If everything is energy, then so to is thoughts and emotions. If I experience the change from no emotion to an emotion, I experience an energyfluctuation. A feeling vibrates. This vibration will, like ripples in a pond, transmit this feeling. And the brain is able to subtly pickup on these frequencies.

According to the witnesses everything in their lives was there, like if the brain was a recording device. Maybe the brain picks up on all frequencies within range, and thus the witnesses could experience how their actions affected those people with whom they interacted with.

If I accept this then "Do unto others as you would have done unto you", gets an interesting twist, seeing that everyone get to experience how they affected others from their PoV, and will get to experience it as if it was themselves they did it to.'

So yes, thinking bad things can be considered a 'sin'

top topics

<< 1   >>

join