It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Keeps You Safe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

How about we spend some of that stimulus money on building more prisons? I hear you about defending themselves, but we have a huge problem in this country with criminals. The problem is that we are not locking these folks up for a long enough period and we treat 16 year olds like children.

We also spend too much on prison, with gyms, tv, school. Hard labor is the answer. Why don't they have these problems in China? Or Japan? Or Singapore? Or Saudi Arabia? Or Turkey?

They don't have the problems because people are scared to death to go to prison in those countrys and they should be.

These folks are anti-social criminals, not wayward youth and they should be locked up in a facility and made to turn big rocks into little rocks. If they knew that was what they faced for 10 years, perhaps they would stay in school and use their given talents to benefit society.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

We have tried the "more prisons" route.

In case you missed the memo, it doesn't work.

More prisons also does not address the fact that government can't protect, it can only punish.

Punishment after the fact does not protect the Asian kid from getting his face beat in, a gun would.

Its also a hell of a lot cheaper to just shoot the thug on the spot than to put him through the legal system, which the victim ultimately must pay for.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Prisons are privately run for the most part, subsidized fully by the government. Prison is a business. 3rd world labor, only with mostly American citizens. Just as cheap though.

Building more prisons defeats the cause, unless you are pro-shadow gub/umbrella corporations. If the real ambition were to eliminate crime, the victims would actually be in a better mindset to dictate punishment, as opposed to 'sentencing guidelines'. Prison is very exploitative. Crime college, if you will.

A good analogy would be how the gub explains terrorism and how terror breeds terror. Take these guys, show them a criminal lifestyle, see what happens. Its pretty basic.

If more people would be allowed to live in less fear of 'the law', we would once again have self-policing communities that would have little need for a badge and a gun.

Once the consequences are made too extreme for anyone to consider crime and violence, it will stop. Its just too bad that people get too lazy to take care of their own problems.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

How about we spend some of that stimulus money on building more prisons?

I roofed 5 new "Justice Centers" in the last 3 years. These are state-of-the-art complexes. This is also in my immediate area. They are almost built to Wal-Mart specs. That means that they are built like a fortress. Do they do any good other than reassure the public, like you? I don't know. Worth a shot though, huh? Multi Million Dollar investments are worth a hunch... If it doesn't work out? Back to the drawing board, right?

[edit on 6-9-2010 by dfens]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Or...

You can study Aikido and learn that even the smallest can be master of the biggest bad ass in town.

Of course that would actually take time and effort... Time and effort well spend IMO.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
[edit on 6-9-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

EST. TOTAL 48,231,700

All those guns used in WWII sure saved a whole lot of people!!!

The state and those guns did a fine job protecting folks

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

EST. TOTAL 48,231,700

All those guns used in WWII sure saved a whole lot of people!!!

The state and those guns did a fine job protecting folks

Or we could have simply stayed out of it like the Swiss and saved ourselves a half million American lives and an untold fortune in war costs.

Of course, that would be ridiculous.

As for Japan, we knew they were going to attack us and we intentionally provoked them into it. We could have avoided confrontation with the Japs entirely.

Of course, we also involved ourselves in WWI, which set the stage for WWII because of the massive reparations costs that were inflicted upon the Germans.

Hitler never would have came to power in the first place had we not involved ourselves in WWI.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

How is it a group of blacks can beat a group of asians half to death and it doesn't make the news? If two white kids hit a black kid, jesse jackson and "rev" sharpton would be there the same day..

Getting sick of the bs in this society.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

How is it a group of blacks can beat a group of asians half to death and it doesn't make the news? If two white kids hit a black kid, jesse jackson and "rev" sharpton would be there the same day..

Getting sick of the bs in this society.

Blacks are a protected racial class.

Of course, so are Asians, therefore nothing gets published.

There is only ONE unprotected class according to our government:

- White males below the age of 40.

John Stossel did a whole show on this nonsense:

www.youtube.com...

It goes without saying that such racial and sexist protections violate the equal protection clause of the US Constitution - but when has that ever mattered?

[edit on 6-9-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I've been reading comments from both sides regarding gun control. I found these videos that might add some insight to the issue.

John Stossel talking about gun control

A woman on Penn & Teller Bull S**T talking about gun free zones

So, according to these videos, gun free zones don't work, gun control doesn't work. Guns are a great equalizer.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."-- Thomas Jefferson

"Government does not quiet destructive human behavior - it amplifies it." -- Mark D. Valenti

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."-- Voltaire

"With all these blessings, what more is necessary to make us a happy and prosperous people? Still one thing more, fellow citizens -- a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities."-- Thomas Jefferson, from his First Inaugural Address

"The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty."-- John Adams, "Notes for an Oration at Braintree" (1772)

"Government cannot make man richer, but it can make him poorer."-- Ludwig von Mises

"There are many things the government can't do, many good purposes it must renounce. It must leave them to the enterprise of others. It cannot feed the people. It cannot enrich the people. It cannot teach the people. It cannot convert the people."-- Lord Acton "

There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible to live without breaking laws."-- Ayn Rand

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule."-- H.L. Mencken

"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error."-- Robert H. Jackson

"A little government involvement is just as dangerous as a lot -because the first leads inevitably to the second." -- Harry Browne

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."-- Thomas Jefferson, (1781)

"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."-- John Hay,(1872)

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."-- Ronald Reagan

"Here's your enemy for this week, the government says. And some gullible Americans click their heels and salute -- often without knowing who or even where the enemy of the week is."-- Charley Reese, (1998)

"Suppose your were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."-- Mark Twain

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."-- Lord Acton

"Any excuse will serve a tyrant."-- Aesop, The Wolf and the Lamb

"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."-- H.L. Mencken

"This country is a one-party country. Half of it is called Republican and half is called Democrat. It doesn't make any difference. All the really good ideas belong to the Libertarians."-- Hugh Downs

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."-- Thomas Reed, Speaker of the House of Representatives (1886)

"Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."-- Ronald Reagan

"If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law."-- Winston Churchill

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away."-- Barry Goldwater

And off course these two seem to be repeating today.

"The government is good at one thing...it knows how to break your legs, and then hand you a crutch and say 'see if it weren't for the government you wouldn't be able to walk.'" -- Harry Browne

"The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and ontrolled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced. If the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt, people must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC

So according to the past the government is a tool for power for those that can afford it.... So yes the answer lies in the ability to protect yourselves, should it come about ie guns and othere preventive pessures....Yes the answer also is a stronger community and ties in such a community ie independent families...And yes all this violence can be minimised by both teaching people how to protect themselves, and the community making things run more efficiently for all in the community...And yes prisons are for profit, its government run, which means it's privetly run by certain rich people to get cheap labor...like the whole prohibition thing...which was silly...alcohol creates crimes, # is ridiculous...sure there are bad drunks, but there are also happy drunks....Anyways it was all just a trick from those in government who would profit from cheap prison labor...Make it illegal for the sheeple to do what everybody in that time did especially the ones who implemented the law, which is get alcohol, and drink it....And bam you got a whole lot of criminals...and a whole lot of potential cheap labor.....This cycle was and is used on many things by those in power for many things as a way to get richer....from the fight for freedom thing, or war on teror...as a way to destabilize countries, so as to get more resources and eventually cheap labor, when those from former freed countries ask for a raise lol. To the war on drugs which so many people in america do, if they wanted to stop drugs getting into the country....it would be easy...so rinse and repeat, same old same old. Government is not your friend and it's not your enemy...it is the sum of the collective of human nature.

"The State is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else." -- Frederic Bastiat

edit on 10-9-2010 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

A gun is you final layer of protection from the government and other impediments. Buy, learn to use and carry.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Hi!

I'm a new member and I can not open new threads, so I post it here.

Top news in Croatia this morning: 'U.S. has forced us to change the law to import a sick pig meat'

Origina l link to Croatian news paper web page Jutarnji.hr

and translated page via Google translator

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
not all asian kids are nerdy punks. in some cities there are asian gangs that are just as bad as any other gang. just shorter i guess.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sivi01
Hi!

I'm a new member and I can not open new threads, so I post it here.

Top news in Croatia this morning: 'U.S. has forced us to change the law to import a sick pig meat'

Origina l link to Croatian news paper web page Jutarnji.hr

and translated page via Google translator

Congratulation looks like croatia is joining the modern world, looks like they are trying to push there products on you all....I dont think it's bad "meat" its most likely gmo processed foods...I know since a while ago I went with my parents while they visited romania....and since I was used to processed foods, there food didn't sit right with me,,,,spent a lot of time on the toilet, till my system got used to it. Then when I came back had to get used to processed foods again....you know mcdonald's and all that, the steroids and other chemicals they put in there animals to increase productivity. The human body is pretty good at adapting to different fuels, that it gets.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join