It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30's view on clothes in Y2K-some astute prdictions!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Howdy BTSers!

I thought this clip worthy of a mention-Its one of those old shows predicting what clothes and gadgets will be like in the year 2000.

Filmed in the 1930s,it accuratley predicts a few trends which were around in Y2K.
Unlike so many other "future prediction" clips from days gone by,this on has no mention of jet packs/flying cars/teleportation.

Instead it predicts a dress which looks like something Madonna used to wear:0.40seconds.

Air conditioning:1.00 minute.

Head torch!(to help her to find an honest man!!)1.19.

Then "as for him if he still matters at all..."1.23

"No shaving,collars or ties or POCKETS!"-OK maybe they got that bit wrong,but they do go on to correctly predict the utility belt,and mobile phone/radio device!

Just glad they got it wrong on the beards though-phew,no0o amish beard for me thanks.
Enjoy:

Man,wheres my electric belt to adapt the body to climactic changes???
Its 2010 already...get a move on!

Top notch predictions from the 1930s I say,ol bean.

[edit on 6/9/2010 by Silcone Synapse]

2nd edit.arrgh spelling malfunt10nz.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
And so,That first vid has led me to look for others which predict stuff well.
I found this from 1957,(Russian?)in Paris at the future fair!

They predict the Induction cooker-something you can buy now if you are rich.
And "TV shopping" which I think could be compared to internet shopping today(although It sort of seemed like they were hinting at TV teleportation shopping).

The ingredients machine in the film also resembles a machine made by some clever scientists of today,who claim they could revolutionalise the way we cook food:

www.theaustralian.com.au...

PDF link:

rassegnastampa.unipi.it...
That sort of food tech could one day turn into a sci fi food machine like we see on star trek or the like.
Some good predictions from 1957!

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Hmm.no replies in weeks on this one,
I thought it was pretty cool too.
Oh well.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Hey could one of the Mods please bump this thread into general Chit Chat,as it got lost in the old BTS and I think its worthy of a look by the folks at ATS.

Thanks.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Got into this thread through the link you provided in the one about Future appliances, very cool to see

Fashion wise, I wonder though why they thought people would go for practical clothing in the future though? (As in, one dress for multiple times of day/occasions)

Clothing is all about how it looks, no one goes for practical. Doubt that will ever change.

The induction and phone/radio etc was spot on though, awesome

Hah and the punch cards made me laugh. Funny (but understandable) how they thought we would still be using that concept in the future ^^

top topics

join