It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iran to Prosecute British Sailors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Eight British Navy sailors serving in Iraq will be prosecuted on charges of entering Iran's territorial waters, Iran's state-run television reported Tuesday.
The sailors, who were detained Monday and whose three boats were seized by Iranian Revolutionary Guards, had already "confessed" to having entered Iranian waters.

SkyNews
BBC News

Al-Alam television said the men had admitted breaching Iran's borders.

UK diplomats have been holding talks with Iran about what a spokesman described as an "unfortunate mistake".

British diplomatic staff in Tehran have requested immediate consular access to the men but there has been no response so far, nor have they been told where the men are or who is holding them.

Tuesday morning saw Foreign Secretary Jack Straw speak to Iranian Foreign Minister Kamal Kharazzi.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related News Story
Iran siezes 3 Royal Navy Vessels

[edit on 22-6-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

[edit on 6-24-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Full story now available.

www.sky.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Full story from BBC

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I have seen this story on local news services in Australia and the analysis they made of the situation was a interesting one. That this is a publicity stunt buy the government of Iran to warn the new governing body of Iraq about the boarder that runs down the middle of the river. After a lot of noise and accusations I bet the men will be released after the message that this was intended to be sent has been taken to understood by Iraq.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
dwh0,

Very interesting. The articles do say the Foreign Ministers of both Iran and the UK are meeting. Could deliver the message to Iraqi interim government that way.

Have the local analyst suggested any relationship between the UK's IAEA resolution and the relase of the British sailors?

Have the local stations been able to broadcast the video?

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   
With the U.S. and coalition forces right next door to Iran after just taking over two countries listed in the "Axis of Evil" in this war against terrorism, Iran has got to be spooked concerning themselves being the next target. Any type of illegal entry into Iranian territory probably scares the hell out of them at this point as it is most likely seen in terms of invasion. I can't say I blame them for going to these lengths right now considering how close they are to being attacked.

[edit on 22-6-2004 by heelstone]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
British Foreign Office is now demanding an explanation from the Iranians.

Your point regarding Iran's fears are indeed valid. However, Iran has been able to play politics very well with the United States. And they seem somewhat more stable than the other members of the "Axis."

IMHO their (Iran's) fear should be motivated more by Israel's ability to strike at their nuclear program.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Iran TV shows British troops, Update
From correspondents in Tehran
June 22, 2004
IRAN'S state-run television today broadcast images of eight members of Britain's Royal Navy blindfolded after their arrest for straying into Iranian waters near Iraq.
The troops, detained yesterday by Iran's Revolutionary Guards, were shown sitting on the ground in a small room with their eyes covered by cloth. Their hands and feet were not bound, and they were dressed in military fatigues.
news.com.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
UK sailors 'admit Iran incursion'
Iranian television has broadcast statements by detained British sailors apparently admitting entering Iranian territorial waters illegally.
news.bbc.co.uk...
Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I can understand them grabbing these guys. Any country would probably do the same, especially with war next door. They'd do well to handle the P.R. better, though. People get antsy when they get video of guys being held blindfolded. It usually doesn't end well.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Sanctum, the admission by the UK soldiers could have been induced, but it is strange that soldiers would admit this the same day they were taken prisoners, unless the Iranians made threats to kill them by behading or some other way, but there is no evidence for that. It is also possible that these were regular soldiers and somehow they entered into Iranian waters by mistake... Special forces are trained so they don't give any information related to the mission if they are captured for at least some time, so they won't spill their beans at all to their captors, at least not in the first day they were taken prisoners.

I would bet anything these soldiers are regular forces because they gave an accusing statement of their actions very fast to their captors.

[edit on 22-6-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Muaddib, i realise that. I was quoting links
Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
It appears that Iran's gov and military are taking rather different lines when it comes to the fate (I use the term loosely) of the 8 sailors.

Anther BBC News story

Iran power tussle over UK sailors
There have been conflicting signals from Iran about what it intends to do with the eight British navy personnel detained early on Monday after being accused of penetrating Iranian territory in the Shatt-al-Arab waterway between Iraq and Iran.

Looks like the old case of the lift arm and the right leg

[edit on 22/6/2004 by 300k]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Interesting how the Iranian state television has tapped "confessions" from the British sailors. Admiting you made a mistake in navigation or confessing you made a mistake in navigation: same thing only different.

www.sky.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I highly doubt that they will ber prosecuted. Iran doesn't need the trouble that this will bring and she is probably just making propaganda. I would expect the sailors to be released in a day or two after Iran have milked the situation.

As for the sailors. It will do them good to be held by the Iranians for a day or two. It'll make them realise what a bunch of rank amateurs they were by straying into Iranian waters and causing a diplomatic incident.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I am wondering, if this is a prelude to invasion of Iran. We need an excuse,. after all, legit or fabricated, before we go charging off in righteoius indignation.

because the Iranian thing is another invasion or bombing waiting to happen. So, i imagine, we need something to prempt it, lol.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
I am wondering, if this is a prelude to invasion of Iran. We need an excuse,. after all, legit or fabricated, before we go charging off in righteoius indignation.

Highly doubtful. It's not even the lead story on UK TV news.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This situation with Iran could blow out of control quickly. You would think that they would not want to get involved in this whole mess...but I think they have just been waiting for the opportunity to get something started. They know we have our military stretched thin...they are all over the world and they wer just waiting......
Another reason to "thank" Bush

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

because the Iranian thing is another invasion or bombing waiting to happen. So, i imagine, we need something to prempt it, lol.

It seems like Iran is on the path to democracy by itself. The hardliners in power do not have the support of the majority of the people, who want their MTV. Remember how scared the hardliners were during the last Iranian election? They almost got voted out of power, and had to clamp down on the budding democracy, which only leads to a stronger yearning for it. I think Iran will come become a free nation on it's own, unless we mess it up somehow, and give the Iranians an enemy to rally around. I say leave them alone and let freedom ring.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Kinda foolish for the Brits to get caught even it was an error in navagation.
How is the question, they must have been in row boats to let the Iranian Navy catch you. I think the average man could outswim anything they put to sea..

new topics

top topics

join