It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on this Earth Just Changed

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
According to this, and it's important to note that this researcher / scientist / author DOES think we are headed for another ice age, the collapsing of these currents have nothing to do with it. In fact, he claims that the loops collapsed three times in 1996 alone.

The fact is that the Gulf loop current collapse is not all that unusual. "There is a well- known history of the gulf loop current 'collapsing'," says reader Dennis Waggener. "This happened three times in 1996. It is a common event and not at all unusual."

Now let me ask you. How can this current possibly stop? It is caused by the rotation of the earth.

Simply explained, the earth rotates counter-clockwise, pushing the water of the South Atlantic westward against Central and South America where it splits into two streams - the Brazil Current, flowing south, and the Gulf Stream, flowing north, the Gulf Stream being greater of the two.

I see no way that that current will cease moving.

Source: www.iceagenow.com...

Although this article is 'answering' the question -- "Did the BP oil spill change our climate forever?", it still addresses the bottom-line question -- "Does this changing in the currents signal a coming ice age?"

Also, some additional information regarding the breakdown of these loops in 1996 can be found here:

Spin Cycles

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heyyo_yoyo
lol... OMG - did anybody read the bio of the blogsite owner?

I'm sorry, but this guy seems to me to be heavily involved in some sort of chemical intake for me to truly believe a word he says.

Yeessss...... My guess is that he thinks he can trace his ancestry back to those who once held what are now defunct titles and has therefore usurped them as his own, despite having no legal, moral or other right to the titles. I'm sure HM The Queen would be quite surprised to learn that he is her official representative in Canada, for example ......

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The North Atlantic Current (NAC)

The North Atlantic Current originates between the Grand Banks and Mid Atlantic Ridge near the Newfoundland Ridge at the branch point of the Gulf Stream.

...the Gulf Stream is located at 40°N 50°W and the Slope Water current at 41°N 50°W.

The North Atlantic Drift (NACD)

Aptly named, the North Atlantic Drift Current (NADC) is a slow-moving body of water located between about 50°-64°N and 10°-30°W. NADC is also considered to be an extension of the North Atlantic Current.

The North Atlantic drift as represented by the Mariano Global Surface Velocity Analysis (MGSVA).

North Atlantic Current (Wikipedia)

The North Atlantic Current (North Atlantic Drift and the North Atlantic Sea Movement) is a powerful warm ocean current that continues the Gulf Stream northeast.

The Wikipedia article is very... lacking. So I will reference the the university links which I believe show these are two different systems, measured in MGSVA.

A google crawl resulted in no sites that I could see which provide real time data about this, and recent data shows it's working roughly normal.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
This is just another end of the world prediction I am guessing.
Oh well,was fun while it lasted,over to the next depressing end of the world scenario :-)

what will be it. I bet £10 on death star meteor.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
global warming is just a big global lie, an ice age has been on its way for a while now, this news will just speed the process up, the powers that be are aware of this if you listen to whats being said by all media outlets in the last year its no longer global warming, its being called climate change instead, covering their bets extreme warming or cooling so they can say see we got it right .

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
i82.photobucket.com...

Now look at NOAA data!

polar.ncep.noaa.gov...

It is visible otthe eye!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
for years I hear debates on the currents that are natural temperature control mechanisms. If they stop, caused by several reasons, there will be less warmth in the northern oceans and so the local climate will change. If we will have another ice age, we'll see. It is just funny that people will blame BP for this again, haha. Ok probably the oildisaster, caused by many human flaws, it is just not a singularity, will have some influence on it, maybe even push it over the edge, but in general the currents are on the edge for a few decades.

If an ice age will come it will clean our crap, and because of the rapidly changing environment, we will have to be in a innovative structure to coop with new problems, we have to develop new "stuff" in a new way, not slowing it down for profit, but develop or die

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by EndGame951
i82.photobucket.com...

Now look at NOAA data!

polar.ncep.noaa.gov...

It is visible otthe eye!

is this bad i guess?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MrOrange82

I just got back from England, and where I was, I was told it was the warmest summer they've had in years... it was quite nice when I was there too... so... yeah... i dunno

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by EndGame951

I think it depends on what you're measuring. Are we only taking current into context? What other data sets and models do we have?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

WOW!

Good catch on that one...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Arrowmancer

I would guess that it could re-establish itself....as long as there is not a ton of oil in a consist pattern spread out far and wide even if that it might reform but in what pattern....

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aninonymous

I just got back from England, and where I was, I was told it was the warmest summer they've had in years... it was quite nice when I was there too... so... yeah... i dunno

The problem is i dunno too.

But if England had the warmest weather in years, doesnt that make it also step in line with this topic. (erratic weather)

Let the experts decide, meanwhile we'll start freezing.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by MrOrange82]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

IMO they are only conjecturing off models what would happen to the weather...it would be baaaad but who get cold and who gets Hot could be determined by more than the currents...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrOrange82

But if England had the warmest weather in years, doesnt that make it also step in line with this topic. (erratic weather)

I live int he UK to. Just today the weather has gone from freezing cold,to sunny as hell, then it started hailing large ice balls where I live in cheshire. and now, Its boiling hot again.

I have asthma and its unreal how many times ive had to use my inhaler,i am high as a kite lol

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by tspark

IMO they are only conjecturing off models what would happen to the weather...it would be baaaad but who get cold and who gets Hot could be determined by more than the currents...

I agree seems logical.

I think the moon, the sun, gravitational field, electromagnetic field, weight distribution(melting ice)tectonic plates should at least be counted in the models.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Well I just emailed Joe Bastardi (one of the leading weatherman/climatologists) at Accuweather who is not bought and paid off to just go with the flow of global climate change so hopefully I get a response soon.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by dotkix

Originally posted by MrOrange82

I live int he UK to. Just today the weather has gone from freezing cold,to sunny as hell, then it started hailing large ice balls where I live in cheshire. and now, Its boiling hot again.

I have asthma and its unreal how many times ive had to use my inhaler,i am high as a kite lol

In one day. Freezing cold-Sunny as hell. Large hail and followed up by boiling temperatures

Have a hard time believing it, maybe you should give your inhaler a better look.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by hawaiinguy12

thank you

This is the way I like treats to be running. professional Investigate .

You know some treats, slowly deteriorate quickly into. What do you know.
Ohw there comes this one again,thinking he knows best.
You are just a scaremonger.. etc

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by EndGame951

Which bit of

Originally posted by Essan
Incidently, it's worth noting that the surface velocity of any ocean current, including the Gulf Stream and NADC is determined in part by the weather. If there is a strong wind blowing counter to the direction of the current, then the surface water will move more slowly or even not at all.

It's possible, for example, that Hurricane Earl may have affected the speed of the Gulf Stream at the surface over recent days.

You're therefore often better off using the velocity at around 200m as a guide to whether a current is speeding up, slowing down or has stopped.

don't you understand

As for an imminent ice age, well changes in northern hemisphere insolation have meant we've been in a steady downward temp trend or the past ~4,000 years or so - and would have expected that to continue for a while yet, although due to other aspects of the Milankovitch Cycles there's no expectation of a full blown ice age. However recent events have changed that with the steadily growing Baffin ice caps having gone into major decline. We're currently as far from a new ice age as we were at the height of the Holocene Climatic Optimum ~8,000 years ago.

A prolonged solar minumum - such as the Maunder Minimum - would lead to colder N Hemisphere winters, but given the starting point they would not be as cold as those during the Maunder, which occurring during a general cold spell known as the Little Ice Age.

In short, no ice age in our lifetimes. Though cold winters can and will occur at any time over the next few millenia.

(It's worth bearing in mind that some of the coldest winters in Britain that we have any records of occurred during the Medieval Warm Period)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join