It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on this Earth Just Changed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Life on this Earth Just Changed

europebusines.blogspot.com

The latest satellite data establishes that the North Atlantic Current (also called the North Atlantic Drift) no longer exists and along with it the Norway Current. These two warm water currents are actually part of the same system that has several names depending on where in the Atlantic Ocean it is. The entire system is a key part of the planet's heat regulatory system; it is what keeps Ireland and the United Kingdom mostly ice free and the Scandinavia countries from being too cold; it is what keeps the entire world from another Ice Age. This Thermohaline Circulation System is now dead in pl
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Just came across this. Im not that good of an investigator, so how plausible is this?

If this is true, then life as we know it, will change forever(being dramatic)

There was nothing about this in the treat search area, so then its my duty to post it. No thanx

(story snip)
This 'river' of warm water that moves through the Atlantic Ocean is called, in various places, the South Atlantic Current, the North Brazil Current, the Caribbean Current, the Yucatan Current, the Loop Current, the Florida Current, the Gulf Stream, the North Atlantic Current (or North Atlantic Drift) and the Norway Current.

europebusines.blogspot.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Interesting. You know this will just give the climate change devotees something else to peg climate change to. Carbon oh the carbon, everyone hold their breath!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Early Snow in Russia
Russia has seen it’s first snow accumulation of the season. According to Rutgers Global Snow Lab, Russia doesn’t normally receive snow until the second week in September. More is forecast for the next week, as well as in Norway and Sweden. Southeast Greenland is expecting heavy snow. Much of The UK and Ireland are expecting cold weather during the next week, as is Moscow. Temperatures on the Greenland ice sheet will be dipping down to near -25C. Nice August weather!

Never before so much rain in Germany
31 Aug 10 – Germany received more rain in August than in any August since records began in 1881, the German Weather Service (DWD) announced Monday. “We have measured more than double the amount of rain as the long-term average for August,” said DWD spokesman Uwe Kirsche. About 157 litres per square metre had fallen on average across the nation, a new record. The previous record, set in August 1960, brought “only” 134 liter / sq m. That compares with the average over many years of just 77 litres / m.

Coldest South Australia August in 35 years
ADELAIDE has recorded its coldest August in more than 35 years. The city had an average temperature of 14.8C for the last month of winter. That compared with a usual average of 16.6C for August. Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Allan Beattie said the previous record for a cold August was in 1970 when the average temperature was 14.4C. But the coldest August was in 1951 when the average temperature was 14.1C. Adelaide’s winter this year also had a below-average temperature of 15.5C, compared with the usual average of 16C.

Snow in the Alps a month earlier than normal
30 Aug 10 – Snow in Voralberg, a month earlier than “normal”. Many farmers still had their cattle in the fields! Global warming seems far removed from these regions. It’s in Dutch, but you can use an online translator to get the gist of it. click here!

Half a meter of snow in Norway
I live in Norway. Here is what was in the news today! The winter just arrived, with a half a meter of snow. It snowed several places in the mountains in eastern Norway, although it is still only August. “This was totally unexpected,” says Anne Wangen to Nettavisen.
…..
“There have been large amounts of snow, between 40 and 50 centimeters,” says Wangen. It is many years since there has been snow so early in Juvasshytta, located 1840 meters above sea level.
“It has happened that there has been so much snow in August, but it is many years since the last time. It is not normal anyway, and there was no indication of a time,” says Wangen.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Well, it's pouring with rain here in Dublin as I type. But, then again, that isn't really unusual - it is summer, after all.

No glaciers clogging up the Liffey as yet. Will report as and when.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The weather has indeed been absolutely crazy here in Germany. A few cases of bad flooding in parts of the country and a lot of schizophrenic weather recently.

Sun -> Rain -> Sun -> Heavy Rain -> Sun -> Hail

Ask anyone and they'll say the weather is highly unusual this year.

I can't find anything regarding the currents of late. Though it's something to keep an eye on. I'm sure someone with more information will drop by this thread later.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beamish
Well, it's pouring with rain here in Dublin as I type. But, then again, that isn't really unusual - it is summer, after all.

No glaciers clogging up the Liffey as yet. Will report as and when.

Well, it's blowing heavy cold wind here in Geleen(Netherlands). But then again, that has become usual - it is the effect, after all.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tarrok
The weather has indeed been absolutely crazy here in Germany. A few cases of bad flooding in parts of the country and a lot of schizophrenic weather recently.

Sun -> Rain -> Sun -> Heavy Rain -> Sun -> Hail

Ask anyone and they'll say the weather is highly unusual this year.

I can't find anything regarding the currents of late. Though it's something to keep an eye on. I'm sure someone with more information will drop by this thread later.

For the Netherlands the same. Seen lots of damage, from several storms.
Is it really happening? Starting to think it, hope the debunkers come quickly??

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Reminds me of "Day After Tomorrow"
I had a quick look around this blog seems to the original source

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Norway current ?
makes sence then, they said on the News in June I believe it was : MiniIce age within 5 yeard..

Hmm, doesnt add up with the huge Ice shelf that fell off of Greenland.

Edit : I see Dr. Deagle had some words in here..I know John Moore keeps talking about the current has stalled etc. This is a blog..

[edit on 6/9/2010 by ChemBreather]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I know people hate it when we defer to Phage, but when threads went up claiming the Gulf "Loop" current was destroyed by the oil spill, Phage was able to pull data from the same month the last couple of years and prove that it was a seasonal occurence and nothing to worry about.

I would guess that this North Atlantic Current thing changes at this time each year as well, but I don't know. We need someone that can pull the same data for the same months for each of the last few years and decide.

If the current is indeed changed, and it is not a seasonal thing, then get ready for Earth-altering weather!! Could be a HUGE development.....or could be nothing at all.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MrOrange82

Scientists were are saying that the North atlantic drift is "slowing"rather than "has stopped" back in 1999:

Dr Turrell found that in each of the past two decades the salinity of the deep water flowing south has dropped by 0.01g of salt per kg of seawater. So its density has probably also decreased.
"This is the largest change we have seen in the outflow in the last 100 years," says Dr Turrell.
"It is consistent with models showing the stopping of the pump and the conveyor belt."
This contrasts with the situation in the 1950s when the salinity of the outflow was so stable it was used to calibrate equipment.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I hope the OP link is speculation rather than fact,and I can't seem to find anywhere else who says the drift has stopped-just sites which talk of "fluctuating salinity" over the years.

If the drift stopped-wouldn't that shut down the gulf steam as well,as they are part of the same "machine?"

Weren't the Russian heatwave and Pakistan floods attributed to the Gulf steam weakening/slowing this summer?

So maybe we are seeing the beginning of a serious situation.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I know people hate it when we defer to Phage, but when threads went up claiming the Gulf "Loop" current was destroyed by the oil spill, Phage was able to pull data from the same month the last couple of years and prove that it was a seasonal occurence and nothing to worry about.

I would guess that this North Atlantic Current thing changes at this time each year as well, but I don't know. We need someone that can pull the same data for the same months for each of the last few years and decide.

If the current is indeed changed, and it is not a seasonal thing, then get ready for Earth-altering weather!! Could be a HUGE development.....or could be nothing at all.

I hope its a seasonal change.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Well, we've had unseasonal wetaher, too. This from a few day ago:

Unusual weather activity is being blamed for water shortages at homes across the county this weekend. The warm weather coupled with high wind speeds are causing low water levels in the River Corrib.

[urlwww.galwaynews.ie...[/url]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Scientists were are saying that the North atlantic drift is "slowing"rather than "has stopped" back in 1999:

Dr Turrell found that in each of the past two decades the salinity of the deep water flowing south has dropped by 0.01g of salt per kg of seawater. So its density has probably also decreased.
"This is the largest change we have seen in the outflow in the last 100 years," says Dr Turrell.
"It is consistent with models showing the stopping of the pump and the conveyor belt."
This contrasts with the situation in the 1950s when the salinity of the outflow was so stable it was used to calibrate equipment.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I hope the OP link is speculation rather than fact,and I can't seem to find anywhere else who says the drift has stopped-just sites which talk of "fluctuating salinity" over the years.

If the drift stopped-wouldn't that shut down the gulf steam as well,as they are part of the same "machine?"

Weren't the Russian heatwave and Pakistan floods attributed to the Gulf steam weakening/slowing this summer?

So maybe we are seeing the beginning of a serious situation.

I still believe that someone will post a comment that takes away our concern.
If not.
What exactly does this mean for me as a person? What are the effects on my daily life?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I was a weather geek in the military and if the those currents actually had stopped, none of would be typing right now. That is life ending event. Since the earth is shaped the way it is, there is uneven heating. That is what causes weather and currents. Its to redistribute heat.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by wardk28
I was a weather geek in the military and if the those currents actually had stopped, none of would be typing right now. That is life ending event. Since the earth is shaped the way it is, there is uneven heating. That is what causes weather and currents. Its to redistribute heat.

Hey.

What do you mean with:

I was a weather geek in the military and if the those currents actually had stopped, none of would be typing right now.

Especially the part: ,none of would be typing right now.

Im from the Netherlands, just want to make sure what im reading.

You perhaps mean that your fellow military weather geeks, wont be typing right now?

Greetz

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

sorry, suppose to be none of us would be typing right now cause we would not be alive right now.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I find blogs to be dubious sources of information at best............

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by wardk28

sorry, suppose to be none of us would be typing right now cause we would not be alive right now.

I am glad that i asked

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join