It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick and Need Antibiotics? Cockroach Brains May Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Sick and Need Antibiotics? Cockroach Brains May Help

articles.latimes.com

Tissues from cockroach and locust brains and nervous systems killed off 90% of E. coli and MRSA bacteria without harming the human cells they were attacking, according to researchers from the University of Nottingham.

The research gives credence to the idea that scientists will be able to discover new treatments in the natural world for these increasingly antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
sify.com
www.guide2nottingham.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.belowtopsecret.com...
Cockroaches Share 'Recommendations' of Best Food Sources, Research Finds
Robot: structure like a cockroach. New development. (video included)

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Turns out cockroach brains have natural antibiotics that can kill the worst antibiotic resistant bacteria we have today. Researchers in Nottingham just made the "discovery" - but natural Chinese medicine has used cockroaches in herbal remedies for thousands of years.

I once fed my daughter a "medicine tea" made with cockroach exoskeletons, amongst other things. It was prescribed by her 'new' Chinese doctor. She had had recurrent tonsilitis for years, and I was getting ready to bite the bullet and let her Western doctor operate.

After drinking her "bug tea," my daughter's tonsillitis never came back. I was relieved all over again when I read recently that ALL forms of general surgery are linked to CJD ("Mad Cow" disease), and manifest 10 to 20 years after having an operation.

We might, therefore, ask ourselves if other types of motor neuron diseases can be transmitted through surgery and be latent for decades, such as those where risk factors, particularly physical professions and activities or certain sporting activities, for example, which are more likely to lead to surgery, have already been indicated.

"Suggesting that a disease could have been acquired during health care is a very delicate affirmation, as some relatives of patients with sporadic CJD may be tempted to seek compensation from health authorities for the alleged intraoperational transmission years previously, which would be impossible to prove in individual cases," he reasons.

This knowledge -and medical treatment with cockroaches- has been around for thousands of years. So I'm led to wonder:

What else do we miss when we dismiss "old wives tales"?

What miracle drugs are we destroying when we burn rainforests to raise mad cows?

And the real poser...

How will Big Pharma corner the market on cockroaches?

articles.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I get the implications, but I can't help but shudder at the thought of ingesting cockroaches.

Ewwwwwwww

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Well hell, I'm going to have to call up ol' Uncle Cleev and let him know that he can run a clinic out of his home!

That's great but yeah...a cockroach....ewwwww. I shudder to even think of having to eat one....but if it helps, it helps.

Interesting also that those buggers will survive anything. Maybe that's why. Their brains are medicinal!

[edit on 6-9-2010 by MeSoCorny]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
When there would be cold or flu going around my moms friend and her family would shock themselves with a car battery so they don't get sick or elimintate the virus from the body.

They were really old school people, no electricity no running water. I wonder if that actually works? I just don't have the nerve to try it.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
No need to be distressed - we eat them everyday anyway.
The worse culprit? Peanut Butter.

The U. S. Department of Agriculture has increased the amount of insect parts and rodent hairs allowed in food from the previous 30 parts or one hair per gram or 100 parts or three hairs per gram, but the increases are allowed only every seventh and eighth year.

Allowable insect parts include heads, antennae, legs, eggs, and maggots. Rodent hairs may come from any rodent, including rats, mice, and squirrels. In the industry, such matter is referred to, euphemistically, as “animal byproducts,” despite the fact that, scientifically, insects are not animals. “It sounds better,” Mike Johannes, Secretary of Agriculture suggested at a recent press conference concerning the increase in allowances.

The allowance of vermin in American foodstuff reflects the “impracticality,” Johannes said, of “growing, harvesting, and processing bug-free raw products.”

“Americans are just going to have to accept a cockroach in their bread, a worm in their apple, or a maggot in their gravy mix once in a while,” the secretary added

Source: Wikia.com

Bolding mine. However, I do believe this occurs more than "once in a while".

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Great thread topic. I flagged you but I'm not sure how to give stars - by subscribing? I read a great book on CJD and prions 10 years ago and the implications of it are shocking, but for the life of me I can't remember the title of the book or the author.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Well come to South Carolina the cockroaches "Palmetto Bugs" are large enough to ride to Charleston! They are abundant year round, and it doesn't matter how clean your family home is. They are everywhere!
Might as well name them. They are three to four inches long and an inch or more wide! They run around outside as soon as it is dark. My dog treats them like mice!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
GREAT post ladyinwaiting! ...and thanks everyone for your input.

But no one answered the big question:

...This is a conspiracy in the making, trust me.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
GREAT post ladyinwaiting! ...and thanks everyone for your input.

But no one answered the big question:

...This is a conspiracy in the making, trust me.

Creating the ultimate cockroach killer so homes no longer have roaches? Good luck with the German one's though. Those are without a doubt the hardest pests to kill besides bedbugs. I've thankfully never had to deal with bedbugs though. I moved into an apartment and whoever lived there before me had a roach problem that I didn't spot until a few weeks after My husband and I moved in. Talk about a fight...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

In the industry, such matter is referred to, euphemistically, as “animal byproducts,” despite the fact that, scientifically, insects are not animals. “It sounds better,” Mike Johannes, Secretary of Agriculture suggested at a recent press conference concerning the increase in allowances.

Actually, insects are considered animals, as they fall under the animal kingdom in taxonomy.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Thank you, I was going to mention that.
Also, not all insects are "bugs", bugs (hemiptera) are but one order of insects that superficially resemble beetles.

I've had a mild earache all weekend, I WANT THE TEA!!!

Where can you find it?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Well those things seem immortal anyway so it's good to see that they have medical benefits. Well big pharma will now offer free bug services to kill their competition.
Roaches multiply worse than rabbits so good luck with that.

I am way creeped out by them but if I had to eat them, pureed of course, then I would. I have heard that certain animals or bugs are good for you.

It really does make you think about those "old" remedies you were told about when you were younger by your grandparents and now it's considered just a tale.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I've had a mild earache all weekend, I WANT THE TEA!!!

Where can you find it?

Ahh. That's the BEST thing about Chinese medicine - it's always personalized. Seems Chinese doctors have always known that every individual has a unique response to infection and disease, and that disease progression and regression is quite individual too - so every treatment is specially prepared - not just for the individual, but for the stage or phase of infection/disease. Meaning you don't keep taking the same treatment all through your "bout" - the treatment changes as the disease 'changes.' [Makes complete sense to me.]

So sorry - no tea, no one-size-fits-all magic pill. Get thee to a real Chinese doctor and let them diagnose and prescribe according to their wisdom.

...The tea I gave my daughter was made from 2 paper lunch-bags packed full with bundles of various twigs, leaves, rhizomes and ??? ...Funny thing was I unpacked one bag, lifting each bundle into the pot, then decided my daughter should 'participate' and see what her treatment looked like before it became 'tea.' So she watched, and when I lifted the first layer from the 2nd bag -a bundle of stems- we saw the 'bugs.' ...I choked, convinced she'd NEVER drink the stuff, but covered it up - she was just intrigued. Her "bug tea" has been a family story for years...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I think who ever wrote your quote needs to know that yes insects are animals. Scientifically speaking.......

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Thanks for your reply but I doubt I can find a Chinese doctor where I now live - a small, conservative town in central virginia.
I've been using homeopathic and natural medicines for over 20 years now so perhaps I will experiment on myself a bit.
First, the roach hunt!

new topics

top topics

join