It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bomb at my nephew's school this morning!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Primary school evacuated in alert

A primary school has been closed in Antrim after a suspicious device was found by one of the pupils.

Children were moved from St Comgall's Primary School on the Ballymena Road on Monday morning. They were moved in a nearby church.

The alert at the school began shortly before 0830 BST, when the child found a suspicious object and carried it into the classroom.

Army bomb officers are at the scene of the alert.

Meanwhile, police said there was another security alert at a school in the Greystone Road area of Antrim.

The search of the second school began shortly after 1030 BST.

Visit link for full article;

www.bbc.co.uk...

So I got a message from my brother about an hour ago, there had been a bomb planted at his son's school, and apparently a child had picked it up. It was a pipe bomb which had been left outside the playground apparently. We had a few security alerts when I was at school but we always knew they were just alerts. Surely no one would be psychotic enough to actually plant a bomb in a primary school?

This was a Catholic primary school, and the bomb was apparently planted by a Loyalist splinter group, I don't really no what else to say. I can't really tell you how angry I am on here.

I am just glad my nephew is OK and so is everyone else involved. You know what kids are like this stuff bounces off them at this age, it will just be a story to tell their friends. This is what I hope.

Edit to change the psychopathic organisation involved.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Dissident Republicans? Wouldent that be counter productive to their goals?

Then again, they always had a tendency to target their own. Half the bombs they set off killed more Catholic civilians then government officials. Goes to show that they are nothing more then a band of thugs, they claim to use a goal for a "free united Ireland" to justify their actions ... and then turn around and bomb a city center filled with innocent civilians who have nothing to do with government policy. Cowardly pussies

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

Dissident Republicans? Wouldent that be counter productive to their goals?

I'm honestly not sure what their goals are. I don't even think they know.

Just caught an article on PressTv today discussing the dissident threat too. At it's highest level since the Omagh bombing. It's only a matter of time before something like this happens again.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Crazy bastards out there let me tell you.

Im just glad nobody got hurt.

One question though...

How do you know "the bomb was most likely planted by dissident Republicans" ?

Just a hunch or something?

Couldnt it have been just a psycho?

Why couldnt it have been a democrat?

Why bring politics into this? Nobody know who did it, so its kind of unwise to make calls like that.

That said, Im just glad these kids are safe. Some really sick bastards out there.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Just heard this story on the news, I was struck by what the little boy who found it had to say "I touched it to see if it was ok", I'm glad it wasn't booby trapped.

For millenia the little boy who was curious around the area his parents had carefully placed him was the lucky kid who found some food or a potentially useful stick now some other adult has placed a bomb, tricking his evolutionary traits, for him to find that could rip him and his friends to bits, disgusting.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Unfortunately not just a hunch but recent experience. It could certainly have been just some random psychopath. There was also another security alert in the Greystone estate.

Meanwhile, police said there is another security alert at a school in the Greystone Road area of Antrim.

The search of the second school began shortly after 1030 BST.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Why bring politics into this?

I think you are misunderstanding the problem by using American politics as a reference. Dissident Republicans are terrorists, who apparently are interested in a united Ireland. In the form of a United Irish Republic.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good

How do you know "the bomb was most likely planted by dissident Republicans" ?

Just a hunch or something?

Why bring politics into this? Nobody know who did it, so its kind of unwise to make calls like that.

That said, Im just glad these kids are safe. Some really sick bastards out there.

Sort of amusing mistake, though not given the circumstances, the republicans in question are Irish republicans on their erstwhile quest for a united Ireland, not the GOP variety.

Though I'm intrigued by the thought that you thought the two party rivalry in the US had got so bad that such a claim was even conceivable, worth a thought or two.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Apparently the second security alert is at another primary school St. Joseph's which is just off the Greystone road. Not in Greystone estate as I mentioned earlier.

Two primary schools within 2 miles of each other. Still no official statement on who is responsible. But apparently the police have made a statement that the first bomb was a viable device. Truly sickening. Hopefully the second alert is just panic induced by the first. Better to be over cautious than have an accident.

Have to say the teachers in both schools have handled the situation brilliantly. I suspect now they will have the police come in to do presentations about what to do if you spot a suspicious device.

In what kind of society should children have to be taught something like this?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Thanks for the explanation .
Yea, I might have been. I just think that lately EVERYTHING is being turned into some sort of political game. Especially here in the states.
Someone chops someones head off, it has to be political. Someone steals another mans wallet, political. Anything that goes wrong in this country these days is always being portrayed as political motives. Thats why I jumped the gun on your response, and for that, Im sorry.

reply to post by Thepreye

"Though I'm intrigued by the thought that you thought the two party rivalry in the US had got so bad that such a claim was even conceivable, worth a thought or two."

Sad isnt it? But if you ask me, and I am just one guy, I see it going on all the time. Democrats and republicans here go after each other like cats and dogs over some of the most stupid crap. Whos to blame, whos not to blame, whos the bad guys, whos the good guys. They are both the bad guys, they just dont realize it.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
So I have spoken to my brother and it was not dissident Republicans, it was apparently a Loyalist splinter group who have been behind a series of security alerts. So in light of this new information I will change the OP. Still no official word, but this makes much more sense than my original estimation.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Keep us updated. Does normally happen in the U.K? I know all the bad stuff the U.K Has done before to other Christian religions in the past.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Thanks for the reply!

In Northern Ireland it is becoming increasingly regular, after a relatively quiet period of around 10 years. The sectarian violence has been on the rise.
This has been predominantly dissident Republicans such as the Continuity IRA, and the Real IRA. If this recent series of security alerts is actually as a result of Loyalist paramilitaries, then it means they are responding to the increase in activity by Republican dissidents.

It is not representative of the UK though, just Northern Ireland.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Just trying to learn are the dissident terrorists similar to the IRA? Attacking children is an outrage. If the catch who did it they should have to spend some time with the fathers of the children. Glad your nephew and the other children are safe. Good luck to you over there op.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner

Thanks for the reply!

In Northern Ireland it is becoming increasingly regular, after a relatively quiet period of around 10 years. The sectarian violence has been on the rise.
This has been predominantly dissident Republicans such as the Continuity IRA, and the Real IRA. If this recent series of security alerts is actually as a result of Loyalist paramilitaries, then it means they are responding to the increase in activity by Republican dissidents.

It is not representative of the UK though, just Northern Ireland.

So what was the reason for the pipe bomb? Was it another child? I know kids in the U.S. always pack heat. That is why they beefed up security and have metal detectors.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I have no idea what the motive was, but these are primary school children which is like elementary school in the US, it's unlikely it was anyone who attended the school. It is possible that some teenager who likes taking apart fireworks made it and dropped it by mistake.

To rakkasansct; the dissidents are former members of the Provisional IRA and the Irish Nationalist Liberation Army, who were unhappy with the official party move into politics. They believe that an armed struggle is the only method to obtain a united Ireland.

If it was a Loyalist group responsible for the attack today, which apparently is the general concensus among the parents. These groups are similar in structure to dissident Republicans, basically former members of the UFF and UVF.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

The Belfast Telegraph article sheds some light on the timing of events. Looks like the two events are most likely connected.

Brendan gave the device to one of the teachers, Marie Hannigan. Around the same there was a telephone warning of another device at a second primary school in the town, St Joseph's.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye
Just heard this story on the news, I was struck by what the little boy who found it had to say "I touched it to see if it was ok", I'm glad it wasn't booby trapped.

Yeah it really made me cringe when he said that. Obviously there's no proof that it was dissident Republicans, maybe we planted it who knows, and for reasons that someone else mentioned I doubt anyone would take responsibility for this but I think it is reasonable to assume that it was something to do with dissident Republicans.

REAL IRA and CIRA and their ilk constantly prove to us that they do not even approach the sophistication of their predecessors. While PIRA were generally thugs all the same they were thugs with a degree of savvy. Those who are currently making noise in Northern Ireland are making noise alone and all they are succeeding in doing is to ramp up the efforts against them.

We will only have trouble if they acquire some overseas backing. The kind of filth who presented themselves at the recent riots are all we are up against now, UKSF and the Intelligence boys are shaking in their boots for sure.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soshh

Originally posted by Thepreye

Yeah it really made me cringe when he said that.

My son announced, upon hearing this reported on Newsround, that the boy was a 'hero'. I quickly informed him that he was in fact a silly little boy who should have left it alone and gone to tell a teacher rather than pick it up. They seem to be forgetting to add this bit of safety advice to even broadcasts aimed at children.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Apparently the device was left on top of a wall, so there goes the theory that it may have fallen by accident or been dropped hastily by someone.

It would also appear that the Real UFF are being held responsible, so it was not dissident Republicans as I wrongly posted earlier. No apologies to them mind.

www.u.tv...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
There is no excuse for leaving a bomb at any school.

We live in a strange world. At the height of the troubles in NI the PIRA garnered a lot of support and financial resource from America. Irish ex pats living in Boston and New York gave money to support a terrorist campaign which resulted in many deaths on both sides.

The money was used to buy weapons from USA and Libya

I wonder if these same backers currently complain about "Islamist" terrorists

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join