It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Racism Real?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

My children and I would vehemently disagree. All of us have experienced racism against whites here in California.

All of us have been in situations where we were in physical danger due to racism.
My girl was almost run over by a car, was threatened on the schoolbus, was shunned by her former best friends because people hate our skin color.
My son was threatened with a knife, beaten, and harassed daily at school because of his skin color.
I have been threatened at work by students, harassed daily at work, and denied work because of my skin color.
These things have happened over the last 15 years. It is accelerating.
I was never a racist, bigot, or fighter, and I taught my kids to love all decent people. Nevertheless we are hated in my home state.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
I'm willing to bet that more than half of them have no idea about it and simply become offended if insulted about their colour because they have learned to find it offensive.

Are you now?

Do you know any black people?

I'm willing to bet that most of them know more about their own history than you do yours. As a whole they are extremely aware of their recent past history, as they have a direct contact with it, their parents and grand parents etc.

Be careful your assumption could be taken as racist.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeSoCorny
reply to post by ANOK

Problem with that is that the lot of people around today with chips on their shoulders were not involved in slavery. It's crazy for them to go around feeling oppressed about it when they weren't even involved!

Except when you grow up in the worst areas of the worst cities and always seem to be the last to get a job and are alienated etc., then you still feel it.

I'm white. I didn't own slaves. I haven't hated on any group of people or anything else. So I don't expect people to automatically assume that I have. That makes the assumptionist racist!

I'm white and I didn't own slaves either, it doesn't stop me empathizing.

No one is making assumptions you are racist, don't take it so personally, learn to be empathetic. Put yourself in their shoes.

People seem more concerned about not being called racist than actually not being racist.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
This is exactly what I was trying to say. Why should later genarations still be held responsable for stuff that happenned in the past.
If it continues like this, then racism will always be there.

Do you take pride in things your country did in the past?

Do you feel pride when you learn we sent a man to the moon, or invented the television, or made a great breakthrough in medicine?

Do you use the expression WE won the war, or WE won the world cup?

Did you yourself DO any of those things?

You take on all the positives of your cultures history as your own, so why refuse to except the negatives?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CestLaVie
reply to post by ANOK

My children and I would vehemently disagree. All of us have experienced racism against whites here in California.

Well why is there racism towards whites? What came first Africans sold into slavery and treated like animals, or racism from blacks towards whites?

They do have some historical justification for hating whites. You expect them to just forget what happened?

Should the Jews forget about the Holocaust? Just get over it?

[edit on 9/6/2010 by ANOK]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
They do have some historical justification for hating whites.

Complete and utter poppycock !

In what way are ''whites'', as a group, responsible for the atrocities committed during the slave trade ?

You appear to be extremely racist, so I think the OP's question has been answered in the affirmative.

Do you think it is justified for a Jew to hate a modern day German ?

If so, how would you argue that from a logical perspective ?

Seriously, have a word with yourself, man.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Well why is there racism towards whites? What came first Africans sold into slavery and treated like animals, or racism from blacks towards whites?

They do have some historical justification for hating whites. You expect them to just forget what happened?

I was in agreement with you right up until this.

Racism is not a justifiable thing. Period. It's hate.

Telling somebody to "just get over" being singled out for something that they cannot help is wrong and irresponsible.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
A black person, for example, does not in any way, share the suffering of people throughout history, that happened to share similar racial traits to his, or her, self.

You don't seem to realise blacks are still third class citizens in the US.

Everyone likes to pretend that there is no racism any more. People are still just as intolerant as ever, they've just learned to hide it better.

Blacks are generally poor because they're just lazy right?

Things are better than they used to be, but blacks are still alienated believe it or not, they still feel as a community the effects of their past.

You know btw there are more blacks than just the ones you run into at school. You can't expect a high school kid to be reasonable. Talk to some adult black folks who have got over their adolescent anger, and been around enough to lose the 'chip', and have experienced the real world.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

seagull,

I believe you are suppose to remain objective during this game. The idea is to tap the right side of the table when either one of two criteria apply to a word. The items are so far apart from each other (like love and hate or John and Mohamed) that you can easily identify them as either one or the other without letting your opinion matter. The are simply facts..

The remarkable part about this test is that most people do not have a problem recognizing indigenous names in combination with positive words but do have a problem combining foreign names with positive words.

The facts didn't change, only the criteria!! Yet people have to overcome a certain inner struggle when completing this test because somehow a certain combination is unconsciously blocked.

You can hold this test all over the world, it doesn't matter. The results will be the same.

I hope I explained it correct.

Peace

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

You don't seem to realise blacks are still third class citizens in the US.

In what way ?

I'm going to need more than just your own hearsay, on this issue.

Everyone likes to pretend that there is no racism any more. People are still just as intolerant as ever, they've just learned to hide it better.

Racism will always exist where there's ignorance.

The point is that racism against blacks, whites, or anyone else, is an issue in the ''here and now'' - historical connotations have no relevance, as there is racial equality across the board nowadays.

Blacks are generally poor because they're just lazy right?

No, blacks are generally less affluent because they tend to come from less affluent neighbourhoods.

It's not rocket science.

Things are better than they used to be, but blacks are still alienated believe it or not, they still feel as a community the effects of their past.

Again, why would anyone define their community along arbitrary racial lines ?

This is totally illogical, nonsensical, and extremely counter-productive.

You know btw there are more blacks than just the ones you run into at school.

I haven't been to school for 14 years, so I'll ignore that comment.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
I was in agreement with you right up until this.

Racism is not a justifiable thing. Period. It's hate.

Telling somebody to "just get over" being singled out for something that they cannot help is wrong and irresponsible.

Huh? I never said it was justified did I? What I meant was blacks have a genuine reason to be racist to whites, what goes around comes around. People seem to expect them to just ignore all the injustices when we know ourselves people just can't, and don't, do that whatever colour they are.

I also never said 'get over it'. I asked a question, that's why I added the question mark. I was making the point that why should blacks just forget their past, no one else does. People celebrate everything from the past, but they want blacks to forget the negatives placed on them?

I can tell you if I was black I'd be pissed. Born into a history you had nothing to do with, but have to live the long term effects of. Having lived in a majority black neighborhood for over ten years I've found blacks to be far less racist than whites. They just don't trust you right away, it takes time, but once they trust you they will except you equally. When you don't take the time to get to know them then they have no reason to trust you, or like you.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

In rereading I do owe you an apology. I misinterpreted your use of the words "Just get over it." For that much I am sorry.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

What I meant was blacks have a genuine reason to be racist to whites, what goes around comes around.

Please try and logically justify this statement ( although I know you won't be able to ).

Ok, imagine there's a white guy, and a black guy, that live on the same block...

What possible reason would justify the black man ''hating'' the white man ?

You are clearly a racist, and in the process of posting your racist bile, you are perpetuating the problem !

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

What I meant was blacks have a genuine reason to be racist to whites, what goes around comes around.

Please try and logically justify this statement ( although I know you won't be able to ).

Lets say you have suffered from racism for years. Are you telling me you wouldn't have a reason to not trust those that did that to you?

Ok, imagine there's a white guy, and a black guy, that live on the same block...

What possible reason would justify the black man ''hating'' the white man ?

There is none in that context, because that is not what I'm talking about. I have not said purely hating someone for being white is right, but in the context of history they have more justification for hating whites than whites hating blacks. I'm just trying to dispel the myth that the racism from both sides is equal and comes from the same place, it doesn't.

You are clearly a racist, and in the process of posting your racist bile, you are perpetuating the problem !

Who am I being racist against? I'm white so it's not white people.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I'm willing to bet that more than half of them have no idea about it and simply become offended if insulted about their colour because they have learned to find it offensive.

Are you now?

Do you know any black people?

I'm willing to bet that most of them know more about their own history than you do yours. As a whole they are extremely aware of their recent past history, as they have a direct contact with it, their parents and grand parents etc.

Be careful your assumption could be taken as racist.

Really? So like I've already mentioned in this thread, are you telling me the "gangsters" who walk around Brixton, London know about their racial history and take offence when insulted with a racial comment?

I don't think so...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by ANOK

In rereading I do owe you an apology. I misinterpreted your use of the words "Just get over it." For that much I am sorry.

No problem mate.

Thank you for being honest and pointing that out, many wouldn't...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

reply to post by Death_Kron

It's offensive because people of colour, and other minority groups, have been the victims of discrimination at the hands of white people for a very long time.

Whites have not been discriminated is this way, so to call someone a 'white person' holds no racial negativity.

People of colour were made to feel negative about their own race for a long time. That's where 'black pride' comes from, no longer excepting the negativity forced on them.

And that is why 'black pride' does not justify 'white pride'.

That's your racism showing. In Holland a black man can be called a black man without any problem. No one takes offense because no offense is intended. Your last sentence doesn't make any sense at all.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

For pity's sake!

By using your logic and reasoning all Jews should hate Germans because of The Holocaust.

Using Slavery for racism of blacks against whites is an excuse rather than a reason.

Racism of any kind is abhorent and should be fought head on regardless of what shape or form it rears it's ugly head.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Really? So like I've already mentioned in this thread, are you telling me the "gangsters" who walk around Brixton, London know about their racial history and take offence when insulted with a racial comment?

I don't think so...

Now that is a racist comment.

You assume that they wouldn't know their history, why?

Because they're black and gangsters, and stupid?

But you know what I don't live in Brixton, I've been there and know the place quit well though. Very large Jamaican population, I have a Jamaican brother in law, and yes they are far more knowledgeable than you assume.

And not every black person is a gangster living in Brixton, in fact you are talking about a very small percentage of black people, and if you're basing your opinion on that I can see the problem....

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

[snip]

You've twisted everything I've said and turned it to suit your own argument.

I don't even need to comment more than that, anyone with half a brain could see the holes in your logic...

Removed personal attack

[edit on 7/9/10 by masqua]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join