It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rugby great condemns Swimming Star for "anti-gay" Tweet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   

RUGBY great Ian Roberts has slammed Olympic swimmer Stephanie Rice as a "complete idiot" after the sporting pin-up girl posted an anti-gay comment on her Twitter page.

Remarking after the Wallabies' two-point win over the Springboks in South Africa on Saturday night, Rice - who has left the Commonwealth Games team due to injury - tweeted: "Suck on that f**gots," adding: "Probably the best game I've ever seen!! Well done boys."

The comment, which Rice has since removed, stunned Roberts who yesterday called for sponsors to question their support of the glamour-girl swimmer.

"She is an idiot . . . and anyone who continues to endorse her as an athlete is an idiot as well," Roberts fumed.

"And I say that with a very sad tone in my voice. What a fool.

"And if her sponsors don't do something about it, they're fools as well."

Footballer Ian Roberts tackles Stephanie Rice over Tweet

Australian rugby great Ian Roberts has publicly denounced Australian Swimming star Stephanie Rice over a message she sent on Twitter ("tweet") that contained the word "f_ggot". It seems Mr. Roberts has disregarded the context of the message and wishes to stir the hive.

Does anybody else think this is kind of ridiculous that a talented athlete's name has been slandered and she will be associated with the word "Homophobia" just because an openly-gay athlete believes this was the case? Have a read of the article. Yes, the use of the word is derogatory, but really calling for her sponsors to boycott her and encouraging the Gay Community to shun those companies is madness. The context the word was used in does not suggest by any stretch of the imagination that her comments were Homophobic or a slander on the Gay Community.

Any thoughts?

[edit on 6/9/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I see nothing wrong with her comment. She did not call anyone out personally and she seemed to have the air of humor in her tweet.

I actually think her comment makes more sense than the guy accusing her!

(Plus, the message is not anti-gay AT ALL! I see no anti-gay message at all in the statement. Ignorance... ugh!)

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBloodRed

That's the problem. The Media will portray the story as suggesting that Stephanie Rice is Homophobic. Whenever her name is mentioned, it will carry the stigma of being "anti-gay". Once you get a label like this, it is very hard to shake it off - even if there was no foundation for the label in the first place!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Yes I think it is a bit ridiculous - while not condoning the use of the word faggot as such - it's a bit much to make a media meal out of what in all probability was a slightly drunken comment, without thinking about possible repurcussions of the PC police.

It's not like the wallabies have never been called derogatory names by any Saffa before...! On the contrary.

It was a close game, and after the shameful loss the weekend before, she was just feeling jubilant and shot of a comment that has backfired...I am sure she is not homophobic.

If you ever become famous, never get a twitter account is the moral of the story. Or think three times before ever making a public comment as you are nearly always going to offend someone, somewhere these days...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudbreak

That's good advice. At least this will be a learning experience for her and other athletes. What is the lesson? Don't make a comment on an informal social-networking messaging service to your fans unless you are 100% that any of the words you use might be offensive to some. It may lead to the departure of your sponsors and the slandering of your reputation.

Sad times.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Believe me, I was saying a lot worse things about our rugby team after the loss on Saturday night. I wonder if I will lose any potential sponsorship?

Congrats to the Wallabies - that last-gasp kick was a heart-breaker. Still, we did not deserve to win anyway.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I am surprised at Ian Roberts comments, not so much for his justified anti-homophobic stance, but because she was referring to rugby union, which is very much a minority sport compared to rugby league, AFL, cricket, swimming, soccer, croquet, amateur cane toad sexing, and other sports in Australia.

Ian Roberts was a great player, I was lucky enough to see him play against Great Britain for the Kangaroos, he was not someone you'd have willingly stood to tackle when he was running at you with the ball in his hands, or picked as the point to direct your attack!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
amateur cane toad sexing

Rugby union is more popular in certain cities of Australia than others (maybe because of the South African population)

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Roberts, like the Wallabies, are abit touchy right now because they've lost all their matches against the All Blacks this year and only won one against the Springboks.

I like Rice and I have alot of respect for Australian swimming greats; they're among the very best in the world and I support them all.

Well, I'll be at the game this coming Saturday with my "Legendary All Black Moments" and "The (All) Black Order of things" signs wavering among the Kiwi crowds

Now in the mean time, leave Rice alone or we'll adopt her and whisk her over the ditch.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

They won 2 against the Springboks: 1 in Aus (30-13) and this weekend's game (41-39) in SA ... I suffered through all 160 minutes of those two games.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Completely ridiculous.....now she'll have to give money to some gay organization, apologize in the media, give some more money, and then offer to help with some other gay cause. Next comes counseling to help her with her homophobia........after all of that she'll get back to a normal life. At least thats how it seems to work with anything negatively said real or imagined about homosexuals by pro anythings. The professional extortionists in gay defamation groups are already probably counting their money.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Stephanie Rice loses Jaguar Sponsoship

And so it begins.

Let me guess: this incident had nothing to do with the company's decision to cancel her contract? I bet there are plenty of valid reasons why this has happened...

[edit on 7/9/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Next year in Eden Park.....

RLMAO

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I'm not offended by her comment but I do find her incredibly stupid.
I've never heard anybody over the age of 16 use the F_ggot word so why she would use it is beyond me. She deserves having a sponsor drop her over it, not because she is insulting but because she is plain stupid.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I don't understand why people think she is stupid. That word is a generic insult in Australia and while it may have been insensitive, she did not use it in a malicious way. She might as well have said "Suck on that d_ckheads!". The sponsor dropping her was a very harsh punishment in relation to the "alleged" crime.

Again to reiterate, the word "fag" is used very commonly as a generic insult in Australia - even by adults in informal conversation. I agree it is not a nice word, which is why I refrain from using it myself, but her use of the word had nothing to do with Homophobic feelings.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

You're right fag*ot is generally not used maliciously in Aus in direct reference to gays, and certainly it seems Rice was not intending to use it in that manner. She has now more or less been forced into a press conference today (due to the 'court of public opinion' so to speak), where she broke down;

"My comments were thoughtless and careless but I can assure you when I made those comments on Twitter I never intended to offend anybody.
I've learned a lot in the last couple of days.
I've learned I must think before I speak and this has been a very important lesson.
I've also learned that some things you say can mean more to others than they do to you."
(from smh.com.au)

A complete media meal over an inane, one-off comment that was not meant to even be remotely linked to anything to do with gay men in reality. Abusing people in Australia can also be a term of endearment.

Funny how Roberts, the 'legend', thinks it is ok to call people "fu*king maggots", "poof" (which has equally bad connotations if you want to think that way), ars*holes and di*kheads.

With his voice raised in anger, Ian asks, "Who the # are they, really, who the # are they?" Ian then wonders aloud as he speak of a columnist in a Sydney gay paper who has made repeated written attacks on him, "Has he ever copped a good hiding in his life? Might have sprained his ankle, the #ing maggot."
www.timbomb.net...

[edit on 8-9-2010 by cloudbreak]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I am openly gay, and I don't find the term faggot to be very derogatory towards the gay community when used in this context, but you can't blame the rugby star for the swimmer's new label of homophobia, that is all a fabrication of the straight media. He didn't say she was a homophobe, he said she was an idiot; which I agree with because I believe anyone who says the word "faggot" in hopes of insulting someone is being very inconsiderate, you might as well say "I'm better than you because you're gay". She is likely unaware that it is offensive, which is why I would never label her anti-gay or a homophobe so promptly. I just think she is a moron because intelligent people usually consider what groups she may be targeting when using very specific derogatory terms like that.

Once again the straight people blame the gay people for the heterosexuals' reactions to the situation; it's only natural, you are, after all, ignorant and complacent.

You have to consider that this rugby star has spent his entire life perfecting what he does professionally, and he was likely very offended when some rookie bimbo practically said "We won a game because everyone on the other team was gay"... what do you expect? And in his defense, if you go to her twitter page and read her tweets, you will definitely realize that she is pretty much the definition of an idiot.

edit on 8-9-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-9-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Brood

Have a read through the article linked in the OP. You will see that Ian Roberts not only called her an idiot, he encouraged her sponsors to dump her. Why? Because he got offended by her use of the word "faggots". Like I said, the word is not used the same way all across the world and she was using it as a generic insult. For example, she could have written "bastards" and it would have meant the same thing in the context she was using.

You are correct that the media does play a big role in sensationalising the story and causing division, but that is not the major issue in this story. The issue is that Freedom of Speech is being stifled by Political Correctness. A talented athelete's reputation has been tarnished by unwarranted accusations of homophobia.

edit on 9/9/2010 by Dark Ghost because: grammar

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Have you ever practiced athleticism professionally? Getting sponsors is not a simple task, you have to be very professional and good at what you do. If I were sponsoring an athlete that childishly called people "faggots" and whatnot, I would consider dropping her. The only thing worse than a sore loser is a boastful winner. A mature athlete would say "Good game, Oklahoma!" not "Taste that , faggots!" Again, likely nothing to really do with political correctness as far as Ian is actually concerned, although he was likely a little offended by her choice of insult, that's just what the media wants it to be about because it is more controversial and therefore more interesting. And to the media, interest is money.

edit on 9-9-2010 by Brood because: grammar

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Brood

But this was an informal message sent to friends on a social-networking service. She did not make this statement at a news conference or even after an event she was involved in. The sport she was commenting on informally had nothing to do with the sport her sponsors signed her for. Context is crucial, but it seems offending minorities is of more importance in this case. Hence why I have said this is an example of PC gone mad. That includes Mr. Roberts comments, but especially her sponsors decision to drop her.

edit on 10/9/2010 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join