It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic-breeding Birds Will Be Among Next Victims Of The Gulf Oil Disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

New York, NY - For the next six months, beginning in early July, tens of millions of shorebirds, waterfowl and other migratory birds will land on oiled beaches, in sullied coastal wetlands and on tainted ocean waters. For some, the Gulf marks a rest stop, an opportunity to take a break and feed en route to more southern destinations; for others it will serve as home until next spring. But after flying hundreds or thousands of miles from nesting sites in the northern U.S., Canada, and the Arctic, many will soon face a far more perilous Gulf, where oil continues to spread uncontrolled and could contaminate new areas at any time.

"The Gulf of Mexico is like Grand Central Station for the birds of the Eastern United States and especially the Mississippi Flyway," said Audubon President Frank Gill.

A substantial share of the birds that nest somewhere in the US or Canada pass through the Gulf during spring and fall migration and depend on healthy habitat to complete their journeys. "The impact of the Gulf disaster on migrating birds will be like a train derailment during rush hour," added Gill. "Not only will it affect the entire system, but its repercussions will be long- lasting. Enabling healthy bird populations to withstand the months and years before the Gulf is clean will require both a continuing emergency response and investments in long-term recovery."

I know we here at ATs have talked about this as a very important issue, but sometimes with all of the other news about the spill we tend to over look the stuff that's not right up in our faces.

Just wanted to share with you what i discovered while searching the audubon society for answers to this disaster and what they are doing if anything for the Coastal Waters of the Gulf and the lives in peril.

If I had money I would donate, but since I dont, I can share what I found and hopefully it will get passed around where others who are in the position can donate, every little bit will help to ensure that lives are sparred and monitored, saved when possible.

gulfoilspill.audubon.org...

[edit on 5-9-2010 by antar]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Thanks Antar.........

All aspects will be affected......our nightmare is just beginning.......

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

I was wondering if they are really on the level, if donating to them will actually get to the real victims in this rather than feeding more of the greedy, I know I need to be more trusting...

join