It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Ethnicities Do We Have??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Im not sure if this has been done before...i searched but didnt find anything. If it has, Mods can delete.

What ethnicity is everybody here? I am Caucasian....my family is from the East Coast basically...but we came over from Ireland during the depression. What is everybody?

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Dads Scottish and Mums Malay... now Live in Australia... Dads side has European blood all over the place (my grandpa was polish, with German, russian and generally eastern European blood, My Nan was Scottish, Ebglish french, and basically western european blood)...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Native American (Chippewa/Ojibwe) and Irish

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
im half english(dads side) and half german(moms side) so i could probally drink more than most of you. well that is if i did drink. they govement lets me work on WMDs for the air force but not drink. im 18 by the way.... sorry rant over. so yeah im a limey and a kraut.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Dad's side - Scotch/Irish
Mom's side - Italian/Mexican

In otherwords, I'm a mutt and proud of it.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I'm a Heinz 57 white mixture. I know I have some swedish in me but that's about it lol.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Hey, ethnicity is always an interesting thing to talk about. I made this post a while back in requards to race and culture. I'll post it here, sine I couldn't track it down in the search engine.

I wrote some of this in another thread a while back and I'm sure it can have some holding here, if someone would actually read it, lol. I have slightly modified it to flow a little bit (not much though, it should be "somewhat" understandable though: ) better and added a few things here and there.

The Jews aren't a "race", they are a culture and Judaism is their religion (whats interesting to note though is that the Jews weren't called a race by anyone until Adolph Hitler started calling them the "Jewish Race" - from than on, it has stuck, and the funny thing is, most Jews even use the term). Just like Christians are a culture and Christianity is their religion. Muslims are a culture and Islam is their religion. And on and on. For God's sake, when will people stop thinking that everybody who is "different" perse is another "race"? There are only three race's on this planet we call Earth. They are as follows: Mongoloids, Negroids, and Caucasoids. What signifies a "race"? Skeletal structure, physical features, etc... NOT skin tone, NOT religion, NOT geographical location (anymore), NOT country, etcetera, etcetera. Each of the three "races" come in every hue imaginable.

Anyone other than those three "races" are a mixture of either two or three. Negroids are what most people would call the "black" "race", but the fact is, they also come in a "white" flavor too. Many Asian Indians are what you would call the "black" "race" (or asian "race", or indian "race", or whatever) but they are really just the "black" versions of what you would call the "white" race, which are Caucasoids. Asian Indians are made up of every "race", as is every country, but people think of them as one "race" - they should be thinking of them as just one "culture." So the next time someone says you're being "racist," the fact of the matter they could very well be of the same "race" and they should be saying you are "prejudice" - because they might be of a different culture then you. What signifies a culture? Location, location, and location. How you were raised, where you were raised, what religion you might have been brought up in, your customs, etc...

Because there are three races it makes sense that they all built themselves up in different locations of the world, seperately. But even as they spread out, the underlying skeletal structure and other external physical features remained the same (almost no varition, hence I can say the "same") - minimal changes of course occured inside, depending on location.
What caused these variations in the same race, or mixed? Adapted traits for the location they live in, over generations - mostly internal features change to meet the "requirements" of their place of residence. Look at the people of Nepal, they have some of the largest lungs in the world because of the height they live at. They need large lungs to take in as much oxygen as possible in the thin air at that altitude. I say "some of the largest" because they aren't the only culture to have adapted to that height for living. They are mostly of the Mongoloid "race".

Skin hues are also an adaptation of the place we live in, and they change all the time, generation to generation. Different cultures have different adaptations but they still come from one, two, or all three of the basic "races". Or maybe they truly came from one source, spread out, and for thousands, maybe tens of thousands of years, didn't come into contact with each other - I still think the three distinct "races" were created for the distinct regions of where they began, and over time they spread out to create distinct cultures (still the same "race" though - although it has been shown that we are all something like 99.9% the same, that .1% is what determines our physical features, such as our skin tone, musculature, bone structure, facial structure, etc..) and finally intertwined to create many interesting new faces and new cultures. Still, the three "races" I speak of are indeed more factual than the preconceived notion that most people have of what "race" is, and this subject is VERY hard for most people to understand.

In my opinion though I think we should just rid ourselves of the word "race" altogether. People act as if a different race is like a different species. We are all the human species, and we all bleed red.
None of it really matters in the long run - you could be a Caucasoid or Mongoloid for all you know and are just the "black" version of them - not a Negroid. Or you could be a mixture of two or all three "races", most people are - the majority of people on this planet are not from a "pure" single "race" anymore, of the basic three (in fact, I don't think anyone really is - some racial features just show themselves more than others). You can still distinguish what race makes up the majority of a person though, it still doesn't mean they are "pure" though, and like I mentioned, I don't really think anyone is.

Below is what most dictionaries define "race" as (read my conclusion below the definitions):

race
n.
A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.
A genealogical line; a lineage.
Humans considered as a group.
Biology.
An interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms differing from other populations of the same species in the frequency of hereditary traits. A race that has been given formal taxonomic recognition is known as a subspecies.
A breed or strain, as of domestic animals.
A distinguishing or characteristic quality, such as the flavor of a wine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[French, from Old French, from Old Italian razza, race, lineage.]
Usage Note: The notion of race is nearly as problematic from a scientific point of view as it is from a social one. European physical anthropologists of the 17th and 18th centuries proposed various systems of racial classifications based on such observable characteristics as skin color, hair type, body proportions, and skull measurements, essentially codifying the perceived differences among broad geographic populations of humans. The traditional terms for these populations Caucasoid (or Caucasian), Mongoloid, Negroid, and in some systems Australoid are now controversial in both technical and nontechnical usage, and in some cases they may well be considered offensive. (Caucasian does retain a certain currency in American English, but it is used almost exclusively to mean �white� or �European� rather than �belonging to the Caucasian race,� a group that includes a variety of peoples generally categorized as nonwhite.) The biological aspect of race is described today not in observable physical features but rather in such genetic characteristics as blood groups and metabolic processes, and the groupings indicated by these factors seldom coincide very neatly with those put forward by earlier physical anthropologists. Citing this and other points such as the fact that a person who is considered black in one society might be nonblack in another, many cultural anthropologists now consider race to be more a social or mental construct than an objective biological fact.

Unfortunately, the three "race" classification (since the Australoid didn't make too much sense, I won't use that one) is not really in use anymore because of how much "controversy" it caused. This system makes more sense than the system where everyone of a different "color" or "culture" is of a different "race." Why the controversy? Simply put, no one dark-skinned wants to know that they belong to the same "race" white people belong to, and vice versa. But as I've pointed out, this system is probably the best system for racial classification ever created. It shows that one race can be made up of multiple tones - not just one single tone.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
As for my ethnicity. I am half icelandic and I come from a very "noble" viking bloodline. Ever heard of Eric the Red? You could say he is my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great.... grandfather, lol. I'm not sure what his son LEIFUR EIR�KSSON would be. I suppose he could be another great, great, great, great... grandfather, lol. Anyways, I have very strong viking bloodlines.

I also have German and Cherokee Indian (eh, what american doesn't have actual native blood in them?) blood and dna flowing through my body. I have an appearance that I could say is out of the norm. My skin-tone is white, but it can tan much darker, given sufficient sunlight. My facial structure is, well, kind of hard to explain. Its... different.

Anyways, maybe I'll think of how to describe myself some other time. :-D

[Edited on 6-22-2004 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
and thank you mr rogers.

lets see it's late can't sleep, am on the worlds crapiest computers atm, so i'll tell of my known heritage.

we will start with my fathers side
Grandfather - Scottish, family came to america in 1800s
Grandmother - Mostly English, her family was one of the first to live in texas, back in the Tejas days, came before Steven F austin's crew. Her grandfather was a Seminole Indian.

mothers side
grandfather - His family was for the most part German, his grandfather was full blood cherokee indian.
grandmother - spanish as in from spain and french.

so put that all together and you get a whitey wonder that is moi.

a light brown haired, fairly sun resistant, psychopath. also known as just another ameriCAN

about the english heritage, could it not just be germanic in nature, ya know saxon invaders, the barbarains blah blah blah, sure some of them are related to me in some fashion. I am sure I am leaving stuff out, my grandmother on my father's side is huge into geneology.

suprised no asian, cause i loves me some asian food.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I have various bits in me ... Irish, Scottish, English (Saxon), Viking and of course Cornish pixy. I am also related to the Dutch and (by marriage) the Americans - to be concise, Californians. And thats about it.

[Edited on 22-6-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Well let me see here.

Mother's side - Family came from Spain in the late 1800's and settled in Puerto Rico. Grandmother born and raised in United States. Grandfather born and raised in Puerto Rico.

Father's side - Same. Family came from Spain.

So I guess we have a nice mixture of European/ mixed in with a little native puerto rican and a sprinkle of african and you basically got my family.

So obviously im of hispanic heritage and I am Very Very proud to be From Puerto Rico.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I know we did this at least once because I can remember discussing Scottish slave trading with Nerdling and Amuk.

Also Colonel asking everyone to guess his ethnicity.

Maybe a chit chat mod can find it for reference (if it's not in the trash) and attempt the dreaded THREAD MERGE.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Well my mothers side is mainly made up of Irish,welsh and scottish.
My dad side is made up of English,Welsh,Italian.

So im mixed European

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Well I'm a white American, with the ethnic background I looked like Europe in a blender.

Father's Side- Welsh,German,Polish,Slovakia

Mother's Side- More Polish, Lithuanian, more German and Slovak, Italian, and a little bit of Irish.

Good thing I ended up with an English last name. Be a pain to spell my mother's maiden name. Yenninias, probaly spelled it wrong there too.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Mom's side: Irish, german, scottish, and a few other things
Dad's side: Italian

I'm mostly italian with a little bit of alot of thing thrown in.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'm Human !!

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Mostly Native American (Cherokee) and Italian with a bit of German and some others I never seem to remember.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I'm Human !!

I'm not !!

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mig12

Originally posted by elevatedone
I'm Human !!

I'm not !!

I'm actually a mock human made from reanimated spam in a government lab.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Father side, father spanish( pure from spain), mother criolla, mix black, spanish and native.

Mother side, mother criolla, father italian (pure).

Husband side.

Father, Irish, mother spanish. (no mix)

My children a mix concoction.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join