It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Doomsday Scenarios for the U.S. Economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

5 Doomsday Scenarios for the U.S. Economy

I read an interesting article just now of 5 possibilities
that could spell doom for the US Economy.

1) Housing's Mini-Bubble Pops

2) You Break the Economy (the consumer)

3) Toxic Assets Return

4) Europe Falls Apart

5) Debt Finally Catches Up to Us

It seems to me that the majority, if not all
5 of these are happening already.

finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

For sure. My wife saw this article last night on yahoo and we discussed it until about 3 this morning. It does seem like we are facing all of those issues right now.

My question is, are we looking at Recession Part 2, or major Depression again?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I think the real trouble will begin in 2012 when payments are due, and they can't afford to pay!

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Hi buddy another big thumbs up for you.
Only apathy is holding this country together. That is the scary thing. When that apathy turns to hunger watch out.

I am seeing many threads pointing to one thing and that is hard times ahead. And I believe we need the hard times again to see what is really important.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
i listen to gerald celente often.
i see more scarcity of resources
more war, deprivation, depression.
more hard times for the have-nots.
as those in power laugh all the way to the bank.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I have a question for you what do you think is going to be the final straw?

I believe it will be when the unemployment benefits run out. This one hits people were it hurts right in their backyards and it hits them right away. And it is happening right as I type this.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Main things to put you money into…

1 3rd commodities investments…
e.g. Gold, oil futures,

2 3rds: Investment Property, farmland is the best but few can do it. So instead something geared to getting you a good rent, that way even if the financial world collapses you will still have something that’s valuable, and will be more valuable again.

It used to be 1 3rd bonds, but I wouldn’t trust anyone to pay back their debts, because its obvious that when the trouble does come, it will come quickly. China could trigger it, any day; but the longer they wait to do it, the more dependant on them, the entire Western economic system, becomes. Right now; it suits China both financially (and politically) to let us make our problem, even bigger.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

hi saint

i think reverse thinking is required here
outcome= one world currency= SDR
pre-requsites= confidence callapse in dollar= destroy value
all five are required at the same time to collect all the money at once in a giant transfer of wealth

no where for the smart money to go

all major signals of callapse must be hidden or under reported untill one series of signals all released in the same day/week/month
people panic run for the doors and take down the economy with their exit from dollars

think bank run on an economy

xploder

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
My question is, are we looking at Recession Part 2, or major Depression again?

I think it will be an Empire Restructure
after a total collapse of the economy and
monetary system.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by p51mustang
i listen to gerald celente often.
i see more scarcity of resources
more war, deprivation, depression.
more hard times for the have-nots.
as those in power laugh all the way to the bank.

I follow Gerald Celente's works regularly , he calls it very accurately .I'm with you on this Boondock the house of cards is going to go and soon . I would hedge my bets and say all of the above .

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984

e.g. Gold, oil futures,

dude, u sound like a propaganda ad on TV, lol

u cant eat gold
and u cant drink oil

there will come a time when starvation
exceeds precedence over commodities.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
I have a question for you what do you think is going to be the final straw?

I think Celente was right

when there will be food .....
but it will be too expensive
to buy. Folks will not go hungry
very long without anarchy.

But that does not necessarily mean
the food prices skyrocket, it could
also mean that folks have no income
and thereby can't buy food.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

apathy evaporates as hunger escalates

i beleive when things get bad people will want their pound of fleash out of the people they deam responcable

basic human requirements provoke basic human responces

city centers will become a very bad place to be

farms will be the new best bussiness in the event of a confidence collapse

money is only given the value by the seller and buyer agreeing what it is worth

the laws state reserve bank notes must be acepted as payment for goods and services what happens in the event that people dont follow this law

xp

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

I agree with you about farm land. My relatives have passed down the farm land for 200 years. No one has sold their pieces, they rent it out. With population rising land becomes more priceless in many reasons daily.
Buying houses to fix up and rent out is a good way to have someone pay off a house for your retirement. That is a very slow committed investments filled with hands on responsibility. These investments take up your cash and leave it tied up. You can however, refinance properties. With interest rates lower than 4.44 % you really come out ahead. Eventually the economy will turn around, and inflation may happen. Investments in the stock market my also pay off in the long term. The problem is that todays generation is into immediate gratification. Real wealth takes a lifetime of careful choices and work. People you can refinance your pesonal home right now, and come out ahead. Interest rates like these are at epic lows since 1948!
Give to charities for tax write offs, learn to fix your own stuff, shop the sales or yard sales, life can still be very good.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

There's another...

A catastrophic event.

I follow what Gerald Celente says, and I assume many others here do too.
And he has been saying for the last few months that he expects there to be a terrorist attack of 9/11 proportions on the US before the end of the year.
He usually links this to Pakistan and the drone attacks by the US.

However, I am more inclined to be more suspicious of governments rather than terrorist organizations. How would an ordinarily poverty-stricken group of victims in Pakistan facilitate an attack of "9/11" proportions? I just don't think it's very plausible (just as implausible as a group of Muslim Extremists in a cave managing to avoid hundreds of intelligence traps, secret government agencies and communications monitoring around the world in order to pull off the largest terrorist attack the world has ever seen).

There are currently several possibilities for this scenario and several governments who would benefit.

Russia is in line with China to become the next global superpower. This is a fact and has been mentioned by several official US advisory groups.
Would America allow this or fight it?
Would Russian government agencies try to secure a lead over China in that race, and how? And the same for China over Russia.

Israel needs to attack Iran, and it needs American backing. America needs the support of its people to do this. Therefore either Israel or the US Government would have to have a catalyst in the USA to convince the public to follow them into another war. And it would have to be big to convince them after the failures of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Mr Celente suggests that this is the anything goes area of forecasting. In that it is simply too unpredictable. While he mentions Pakistan I believe he has occasionally suggested that there are various groups, governments or corporations that would benefit and could therefore facilitate a false-flag.

And I have to agree. Far too many groups of people around the world (and within your shores) would benefit from it.

Just one event like this could cause the financial armageddon we're all expecting. So even if it isn't a false-flag, are we naive enough to expect that other governments who would immediately benefit from the collapse of the $ wouldn't be at least considering taking the opportunity to bring it down?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by Liberal1984

e.g. Gold, oil futures,

dude, u sound like a propaganda ad on TV, lol

u cant eat gold
and u cant drink oil

there will come a time when starvation
exceeds precedence over commodities.

Couldn't agree with you more.

It makes me chuckle when I hear people talking about where to invest their money.
They completely forget that they need food, water, shelter and security. Where is all that coming from if you've "invested" everything in commodities?
How do you even get access to it?
Who would you trade with when the markets have completely crashed?

The only reason to do this would be to try to safeguard some of your wealth for when the storm passes, and there is no guarantee that it will still be there when it does pass.
Imagine, the $ collapses tomorrow and you have anarchy on the streets, riots, buildings being burned, government toppled, troops everywhere. When all of that passes, what are you going to do? Just go to the bank with your little bits of paper and demand your gold?
Where is it? Who has it? Is that claim you hold even legal anymore?
Get real people.

Forget Gold. Invest in water purification, home farming, food storage, security, back up systems, basically everything you would need to survive for three to six months.
When the SHTF your government WILL NOT BE THERE.
No military, no government, no aid organizations and no other groups of people will be able to deal with the consequences of this collapse, no matter what country you live in.

top topics

join