It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Folks-dancing - proof for gender essentialism?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

No need to feel embarrassed about doubts concerning the World Cup - we all were very worried here too (even the ruling ANC).
But ultimately, as we realized - that was FIFA's show.
OK, SA people are generally a great bunch and we made it happen too.
We didn't lose face, but neither did we gain anything (apart from useless stadiums).
FIFA's moved on ...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

To the male Black Lodge singers, I'd like to add the female vocal group, Ulali:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
No need to feel embarrassed about doubts concerning the World Cup - we all were very worried here too (even the ruling ANC).
But ultimately, as we realized - that was FIFA's show.
OK, SA people are generally a great bunch and we made it happen too.
We didn't lose face, but neither did we gain anything (apart from useless stadiums).
FIFA's moved on ...

Yeah FIFA's moved on, with Blatter hanging on to their coat-tails... Or should I say, trough ?... As in pigs.

I was a bit worried about the obnoxious, patronising, notion that was propagated by the BBC, that it was ''Africa's'' World Cup, and the exploits of Ghana's team, somehow reflected on the whole continent.

''Yes, let's forget all the poverty and suffering in Africa, and slap each other on the back, because Ghana has reached the QF of the World Cup.''

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Something a bit different, which I felt I had to add:

I would just like to say, that it is my conviction, that longer hair and other flamboyant affectations, are not proper for the man ...

Margaret Mead sings "My Conviction" in the musical Hair:
www.youtube.com...

I must totally concur with dear old Margaret.
The sensible male knows he has elegant plummage, and needs no ladies' jewelery; only a strong wrist-watch, or perhaps an eye-patch and a comb.
Never mind - it is, indeed, a most sensible conviction.

The way it's going nowadays they'll be shaving their bleeding legs and riding bicycles next!
Good heavens, and that's just the women!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I've read a bit about duelling in the past ages (up to the last century I believe).
At some German universities it was considered honourable to have a scar from sword slash across the cheek.
A lot of these folk-dances seem to mimic duelling over females. (Which would make for biological essentialism.)
Strange, in Europe the duel was usually over the honor of a lady (going back to knighthood and chivalry), while in Western movies it's usually about settling other scores in a male society.

The notion I get is that gender-mixing leads to trouble and fighting amongst men.
The mere presence of a woman in an inappropriate male setting can lead to inter-male violence.

I recall that in SA in the 1980s most bars were off-limits to women, and there were special "ladies' bars".
Were any other countries still like that in the 1980s?

Some feel this segregation led to less violence, and would like to bring it back, but it's now unconstitutional.
Yet, religions still gender-segregate. The Rastas, for example, never take their herb in mixed company.

edit on 9-9-2010 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join