It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parallel Universes Proven

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
"Parallel Universes" already has a meaning (vernacular), it's an awesome story and experiment and does have wonderful ramifications but saying this proves parallel universes is misleading.

That being said - I believe everything has constituents in the quantum realms, just as all molecules are made of atoms. The problem is that part of being human is that we are ignorant to reality. We don't have the senses/mechanisms, without years of meditation, to access quantum reality.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

That vid (or the author's ideas) has nothing to do with string theory. It's a product of his imagination, nothing more.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Another helping of classic Matrix Rising gobbledygook.

I believe her argument goes like this:

1. The object is in a superposed state.

2. This means it's in two places at the same time.

3. Therefore one of those places has got to be another universe.

4. Therefore parallel universes exist.

With logic like that, who needs facts? Come to think of it, who even needs logic?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What is up with of these grouches on ATS? The guy simply wanted to share this information he found that he happened to find really interesting which happens to "show quantum states" which he believes proves quantum mechanics. Not everyone has the chance to visit ATS as often as others....

Personally I think if you can do an experiment that can display "a quantum state" then by all means does that not prove the existence of such an entity? I mean how much more evidence does there have to be? I feel like Galileo during the 16th century arguing that the earth revolves around the sun....

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by s7ryk3r
What is up with of these grouches on ATS? The guy simply wanted to share this information he found that he happened to find really interesting which happens to "show quantum states" which he believes proves quantum mechanics. Not everyone has the chance to visit ATS as often as others....

No, s/he is saying that this experiment proves parallel universes. Which it doesn't.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
What bollocks the article can't even get shroedingers cat correct!!!!

The though experiment is that a particle can decay or not. We don't know which. If it decays the cat is dead if not it lives. THE CAT IS NOT IN SUPERPOSITION. The decaying (or not) particle is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, the thought was mistakenly extended to say the cat is dead or not. That quantum assumption is complete bollocks and a reflection of the physicists inability to say:

I don't know what state a particle is in until I see it, so it must be both. Utter arrogant nonsense.

Take a million particles and 500,000 will decay , 500,000 will not. BUT YOU CANNOT SAY WHICH and that drives physicists mad.

All particles are driven by random states. This means that on the small scale particles can be quite distorted (throw a dice six times and each number will come up - no way!). However on the macro scale billions of particles will have (assuming a 50:50state) so equal so as not notice. (throw a dice a billion times and you WILL NOT GET ALL NUMBERS PRACTICALLY EQUAL-PLOT IT AND tHE DIFFERENCE WILL BE SMALLER THAN THE THICKNESS OF THE LINE!!!!). Physicists hate this (surely a state can be predicted - NOT ON THE MICRO SCALE) hence why Einstein said - God does not play dice with the universe. He forgot that "god" threw billions of dice masking any imbalances.......if you believe in god!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish

so if parallel universes can be proven does that mean there is another me in another parallel universe typing this thread and posting in it???

[edit on 9/5/2010 by indigothefish]

Maybe, but maybe not. Maybe your mother married someone else in a parallel universe and you were never born. Or maybe you were born and diead at a young age. Or maybe there is another you in a parallel universe who's life has taken a completely different path. You may be someone who scoffs at conspiracy theories and would never dream of posting on ATS, but you probably don't even know that ATS exists.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I can think of a use for it...........
Atom Splitting/Not Splitting=constant release of energy. If i'm understanding it correctly.
Gravity Wells
Warp
Just a few ideas that spring to mind with a constant state .....Flux....
A very world changing breakthought if fully understood? If I understood it properly?

As for Parallel Universes that could explain my weird dream, the universe where the allies lost WW2

[edit on 6-9-2010 by DreamerOracle]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
If both states could be observed, then it means both states happened in this universe.

Personally, I don't see why parallel universes are needed. Matter may be "built" in such a way that superposition happens within a single universe.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Idk about this lol.

Maybe they set the paddle to the "range of frequencies" that a sensor is unable to tell the different between whether or not the paddle is moving or not.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by daniel_g

Highly missleading topic from a very poor written article. How very typical of ATS.

Which poses the question, why would someone who believes this even bother posting comments on ATS? For that matter, why would he have even registered as a member?

When I encounter a website who's "typical" practice is to present information that originates out of lack of knowledge, erroneous presumptions, flawed logic, or outright deceit, I do not make it a practice to continue visiting the site.

What I find "typical" is that many members can't wait for the opportunity to attack a thread for it's content and then imply it's common for false information to be found on ATS. Why do these people exist here if this is what they believe? It seems to me that anyone who has this opinion would find no useful purpose for coming here?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

"It's good for physics for sure," Wang says

I completely disagree. I'd say it's rather a disaster for physics.

Physics was born as a way to model reality, math evolved so it was able to keep up with physics, but when you start to write sci-fi to justify equations resulting from purely mathematical transformations that hold no relationship with the reality then in my opinion you are starting to loose the track.

Through a series of careful measurements, they were able to show that the paddle was both vibrating and not vibrating simultaneously.

That series of careful measurements that are not even mentioned in the article, despite of being the most important part of it, I'm pretty sure were either not that careful or they were not properly interpreted.

About the conclusion driven by the op from the article it's like me saying that objects tend to fall because it's God's wish. I'd even go further and state that magnetism is actually a manifestation of God: magnetism is a force and there should be someone or something exerting that force, as nothing is observed it has to be God himself. Furthermore I could go on and say that because magnetism happens everywhere it is proved that God is omnipresent too...

They then cooled the system down to temperatures below one-tenth of a kelvin.

At one-tenth of a kelvin it's true that the 'quantum drum' it's very cool but it still has some energy on it and it'd keep having that energy until it'd reach 0 kelvin witch by the way I think it's impossible to reach. That tiny energy that it's still present in there may have very well affected the experiment.

But hey, I'm not a physicist! I can very well assume that the experiment was very well performed...

This is why a 3 dimensional object is described by information encoded on a 2 dimensional surface area 1/4 the size of it's volume. This is because you need the extra dimensions to describe the entangled states.

You mean if we take for example a sphere which as far as I remember has a volume of (4*PI*R^3)/3 it now has a surface of (PI*R^3)/3 instead of 4*PI*R^2 ?!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Here is a quote from sometime last week, written by me, near enough explaning almost word for word everything you have described about the nature of reality and the relationship between quantum micro objects and macro objects of a different scale. HAving beeen transposed form the energy realm, where matter has not yet come into being, and thus has a more pure formless form, it that makes any sense...
..this may explain things a little deeper:

"Evolution as i see it, goes beyond the life forms we call animals. Forms of this universe, particles, objects, cells, tissue, organs, organisms... are all from the same source. This same universal energy, the cause of all existence, can be scientifically observed, emotionally experienced, as well as objectively defined, in my opinion, without loosing the mystery at heart of our essential essence. Pure energy. I not saying this source is in any way "non-physical", just that what we call physical is no less spiritual the more we can objectively define and observe its core mechanics. Conversely, i believe the more we look at quantum structures of this universe, the more its mystery deepens and humbles the curious mind. Purely awesome, we can see so many common characteristics in our dimension, that the one-ness in it all becomes almost inescapable. Allow your heart the freedom to be capable, if only for this moment, to fluctuate between being a mechanical soulless muscle - mere organ in you chest, into something which recognises its true identity as an Earthling who has a heart which beats our consciousness into being - purely an organ of planet earth, beating with life. Very much in the same way as the driving force behind the electron, where a fluctuation occurs, beating motion on the quantum scale of our dimension, where this thing we call "matter" periodically comes in and out of existence, beating, like a heart. We all have one. And as its beats, life, we cause other things to resonate with this beat, possibly in parallel dimensions, where the universe operates in a way currently unobservable by physicists. Just understand and see that one of the basic principles of physics tells us that Energy is never lost, its is only ever dissipated into the environment. Our "environment" is our dimension, where energy has fluctuated or to use a musical term "transposed" itself into the rules and laws which govern the nature of this dissipation. Coal is mainly Carbon, but carbon is oil, dust, treeleaves, whatever rules of existance this form comes into contact with, inturn transposed into.. But there are many scales to perceive in this. Yes we know for a fact energy enters our dimension, from some mysterious "elsewhere", but what we don't yet know is how in fact this energy is dissipated entirely. What fraction have we come to perceive as beings. compared to the multiparralells we can logically conceive, due to the multiparrallels we can already perceive though scientific instruments, and invoke beautifully through musical instruments? The electromagnetic spectrum for has this small slither in the "middle" - a relative term? - we call the "visual light" spectrum. Snuggly between infra-red and ultraviolet. This is the part of reality we can look at.. but really its a slither.,,,, and what i am suggesting is this..

we can literally see from the moment we wake up a tiny portion of the electro-magentic spectrum... but, really, is this merely a slither within a slither?"

visit the link to find out what i think about the physical definable, presence and nature, with its presence in nature, god? The energy force of Consciousness, Life, Being, Existance, in all dimensions, all layers, all multiparralels.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6/9/2010 by DizzyDayDream]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
this is great. I know that the dubble slit theory is the grandaddy of quantum physics, and that they did this experiment sometime back with a small wire, but never with an object of this size.
Thats pretty awesome. It shows how one object can be in two places at the same time, and how its only our perception, observation, that forces an object into the state we see it in, which of course, is only the state where it reflects the lightwaves we can detect through our eyes.
Its pretty remarkable, if you ask me, that we are now able to see, through observation, the same thing we could only detect without it.
Very awesome article and find.
Star and flag.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link