It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absolute Morality: Does it exist?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

It's easy to talk about karma when you're rich and have comforts, but when you live in continual poverty karma is an easy thing to abuse.

If you think the poor are suffering as much as the news say they are, you are mistaken. I was in India last year, saw more happy faces than ever before in my entire lifetime. Not one second did I think "oh those poor, poor people".

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I have been to India, multiple times, for months at a time. Just because you are in poverty doesn't mean you can't smile or be happy. Look at how they treat the beggars, even if a majority of them believe in karma and reincarnation. Go to a village sometime too, not just tourist friendly places. Foreigners have much to enjoy if they have the money, locals not so, unless they have money, and even then they aren't any more gracious for it.

edit on 11-9-2010 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Go to a village sometime too, not just tourist friendly places. Foreigners have much to enjoy if they have the money, locals not so, unless they have money, and even then they aren't any more gracious for it.

Anyone who understands only an ounce of Karma treats other people with kindness. Modern India does not understand any more about Karma than other countries, in my experience.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I think your English is a bit off

yes, my eng is far no Ideal + i likes to experiment & to play with possibilities/features/abilities of whatever lang -- that's funny & useful because any lang is Alive

you could solve the problem with space industry. Which, when those resources became limited, it would become more profitable to mine is space versus on Earth.

actually, humans have Nothing to deal something with outer Space effectively, but many reasons are gravely existed to improve skills/techs in Cosmonautics ahead & further.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Now if we put you and Gorman91 together we would have the basis of an ethics. You supply the missing piece in his rationalist jigsaw puzzle.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
If you think the poor are suffering as much as the news say they are, you are mistaken. I was in India last year, saw more happy faces than ever before in my entire lifetime. Not one second did I think "oh those poor, poor people"

What?

How dare you.

What a smug, self-satisfied, face-feeding, insensitive piece of tripe.

I am no Indian, but I am from a nearby country whose culture is essentially Indic. You know nothing about our societies, our cultures, nothing. You don't even know enough to interpret our body language. If you did, you would know that in South Asia a smile is the common response to an insult or unintended slight offered by someone who is richer and more powerful, and who must be placated--or who can be exploited, as I devoutly hope you were.

Keep you patronizing judgements for your own culture, where they have at least a ghost of a chance of being right.

Your words disgust me.

edit on 11/9/10 by Astyanax because: in order to keep my fury and outrage at this contempible twaddle within the bounds of the T&C. It wasn't easy.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Being-free of that self imposed imprisonment, whilst liberating on a personal level, is a constant reminder an affront to those who enable their own bondage. They do not like it, and they will retaliate.

Phew. (Mops brow) (Why don't we have a sweat-dripping smiley?)

They will...

...wait for it...

crucify you.

And then tell lies about you and start a religion.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

For now. But there is always some genius who changes things.

Think about it. Look at the world in 1930. Would you honestly expect people of that time period to be generating nuclear energy a mere 30 years later?

Go back to Rome. Rome was only 200 years behind where we are now. Would you expect a people 2000 years ago to be doing brain surgery, eye surgery, studying microbial life forms and their effects on human life, and having water superhighways to grant the thirst of their people? I certainly would not. And yet they were.

Never forget the human element. The ability for man to suddenly blast off beyond what is imaginable and become something incredible in a short time period.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

How dare you.

What a smug, self-satisfied, face-feeding, insensitive piece of tripe.

I am no Indian

Its Hindu.

a smile is the common response to an insult

You have an interesting way of seeing the world.

Your words disgust me.

I take it thats a compliment in your culture then. Thanks :

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Never forget the human element. The ability for man to suddenly blast off beyond what is imaginable and become something incredible in a short time period.

heh, i only vote for it, but Rather bet on degradation of current civilization to Stone Age
eruptive leap to new level of techs is no so sudden like many of humans would like to think. society makes ground for ones who can get new knowledge of the World & society makes others, with more humble abilities, who can take up a spark of something new & blow up the fire of new abilities.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Go to a village sometime too, not just tourist friendly places. Foreigners have much to enjoy if they have the money, locals not so, unless they have money, and even then they aren't any more gracious for it.

Anyone who understands only an ounce of Karma treats other people with kindness. Modern India does not understand any more about Karma than other countries, in my experience.

Oh believe me, many do believe in karma, but because the society is a dog-eat-dog place, they don't apply their beliefs. Talk to me about karma when society collapses where you live, why don't you? At the end it doesn't matter what your next life will be, people want to survive and thrive.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Karma, God is one infinite impersonal God,
God IS the world, the world is God,
morals and values are relative, not absolute,
miracles are impossible,
all is one one is all. Led Zepplin on '___',
1973. Stairway to Heaven.
New Age consciousness jus dusted off the
old useless, pantheism philosophy and put
some metal polish on it, shined it up
and said Look at this fantastic way of life we have here.

so go there to live then if they are so happy

edit on 12-9-2010 by slugger9787 because: to add quote and comment

edit on 12-9-2010 by slugger9787 because: comment

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
Karma, God is one infinite impersonal God,
God IS the world, the world is God,
morals and values are relative, not absolute,
miracles are impossible,
all is one one is all. Led Zepplin on '___',
1973. Stairway to Heaven.
New Age consciousness jus dusted off the
old useless, pantheism philosophy and put
some metal polish on it, shined it up
and said Look at this fantastic way of life we have here.

Its sad that all Americans know about Karma is what either Hippies from the 70s or snake-oil-salesmen from the NewAge taught them.

Karma simply means that your thoughts, words and actions will eventually come back to you. Nothing more.

so go there to live then if they are so happy

They are happy in a different way. That doesnt mean I want to go live there or fit to their culture.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

Well yea, that's why I have the highest faith in humanity.

I simply don't see how we can't make things possible that seem impossible with our brains.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I simply don't see how we can't make things possible that seem impossible with our brains.

more certainly, Logic cannot
Clues to deal with Universe are plugged in human Essence.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Delightful. S&F

...Have you been reading Murdoch again?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Rupert Murdoch?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

No. Iris. ...as in The Sovereignty of Good (1970).

From wikipedia:

Her philosophical writings were influenced by Simone Weil (from whom she borrows the concept of 'attention'), and by Plato, under whose banner she claimed to fight.[2] In re-animating Plato, she gives force to the reality of the Good, and to a sense of the moral life as a pilgrimage from illusion to reality.

Odd quotes:

* Happiness is a matter of one's most ordinary and everyday mode of consciousness being busy and lively and unconcerned with self.

* He was a sociologist; he had got into an intellectual muddle early on in life and never managed to get out.

* Human affairs are not serious, but they have to be taken seriously.

* Love is the difficult realization that something other than oneself is real.

Iris Murdoch

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

since human nature is recreated at every moment of conception i think the core of human is evil, rotten, and human must be socialized to harness his/her primal instincts, drives, vices, sins.
so absolute objective moral reality has worked for centuries.
moral relativism is for fledgling narcissists.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I developed a system I call Secular Morality, it is based on the goal of maximizing the capability of intelligence of civilization while minimizing the destruction of complexity and minimizing the increase of entropy. The basis of secular morality is that immorality leads to death and destruction whereas morality leads to the evolutionary survival and the progression of genes, memes, and temes (technological memes) of that lead to advancement of universal intelligence.

The following image explains the mathematics involved in computing your intrinsic morality value:

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join