It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antitheism is the Only Honest and Meaningful Spirituality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Antitheism, or "new atheism," probably means different things to different people. (I believe the term was coined by Christopher Hitchins). What it means to me is the refusal to refer to any unseen/unrevealed intelligent beings as gods, or to a Supreme Being (concerning at least THIS planet), if applicable, as God. It's the rejection of the cowering, fear-driven slave mentality, the strong conviction that EVERYTHING (and everyONE) in the universe or multiverse is simply SCIENCE, regardless of how much is undefined, unknown. The words "paranormal" and "supernatural," for examples, shouldn't exist. Or antitheism is the avoidance of shallow, hollow, ego-inflating (by definition) idolization (worship) of any being who's more advanced than the better, more rational-unbiased, "kinder, gentler" type(s) of Earth humans of this era. All intelligent beings are equally entitled to all knowledge, methods, technology etc. they/we can comprehend and undertake, provided said beings are equipped with the moral-ethical stuff for proper usage of such new things.

I don't see how anyone can call himself or herself an antitheist without being very clearly against rule by secrecy in general. Secrecy is the enemy of knowledge; greater knowledge results in better living through better science. Those who complain about religion-based problems should be complaining equally loudly, or really even louder, about secrecy-based government(s).

Proudly, I am and always will be an antitheist, or I suppose barring any VERY solid proof that would make me be otherwise.

To me antitheism isn't at all atheism - believing there's NO unseen intelligence of ANY kind involved in ANY way on this planet. Such belief is every bit as reactionarily RELIGIOUS as whatever of religion by the traditional definition... I can only hope my take on antitheism is the most objective one that will be (somehow or eventually) universally taught.

On a different note, apparently it's most commonly believed that the reason humanity has yet to make Contact with "ET" (if ever) is because most of the population is "not ready" for it. I submit that "not ready" REALLY means not interested or not caring. Translation: ignorance and apathy. And a large percentage, if not the vast majority, of those who aren't interested in Contact are, frankly, not WORTHY in the first place, as far as I can tell. Oh well, it's no skin off my nose. Whatever happens, I'll never let the pathocracy (that rules the dominant culture) get me down and/or drive me crazy.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dean Goldberry
To me antitheism isn't at all atheism - believing there's NO unseen intelligence of ANY kind involved in ANY way on this planet.

Hitchens isn't even dead yet and he's already rolling in the grave. I don't believe that either of your definitions of atheism or antitheism is correct. Atheism could be described as disbelief in a god. Antitheism could be described as opposition to belief in a god. The above posted definition appears discordant with the common definitions and I still don't see how, as in the title, antitheism could be thought of as "spirituality" (a word with meaning so broad as to be useless anyway). Somehow you've also managed to tie this in with aliens and secret governments also which have nothing to do with theism. While your post is interesting and enjoyable I believe it a tad off-kilter from the commonly accepted definitions and qualities of both atheism and antitheism.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Dean Goldberry

Seems like "antitheism" is simply another flavor of "iconoclasty". Which is never a good thing.

UFO religion aside........ *not going there*

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Sorry dude, I have to be honest I fail to see how being an Antitheist (given that Hitchens coined the phrase perhaps it's best to stick with his definition) can in any way be synonymous with spirituality.

Never mind any opportunity to have a swing at religions is good in my book so you get a star for effort.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Spiritual? Do you follow the Law of the all-mighty Atheismo?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

I disagree that atheism is ONLY a disbelief in god(s). From my experience, it seems most atheists will fervently claim EVERYTHING of the unexplained is "all in your head" or otherwise misidentified. Or I've never heard of atheists claiming otherwise.

How is my definition of antitheism NOT "opposition to belief in God?" It's just a slightly different angle on the same idea.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Well this one believes in Aliens. And there are more then a few out there that "they" will save us from the "great demon" religion. Which has always struck me as immensely hilarious.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dean Goldberry
I disagree that atheism is ONLY a disbelief in god(s). From my experience, it seems most atheists will fervently claim EVERYTHING of the unexplained is "all in your head" or otherwise misidentified. Or I've never heard of atheists claiming otherwise.

A denier is a denier and an atheist is an atheist. One can be both an atheist and a denier and I suspect many are. "A" - opposite of, "theism" belief in a god.

How is my definition of antitheism NOT "opposition to belief in God?" It's just a slightly different angle on the same idea.

Because you described it much differently.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
as an anti-thiest... i subscribe to the forces of nature and the laws of physics... no off world being or presence

if Earth were the size of Mars or Jupiter, the 'nature' i.e. that biosphere would be different than Earth's

so the process of 'nature'-'physics' is our governing entity, and i accept that a 'Gaia' Principle or consciousness is present....call that a 'spirituality' if you like

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

It's not the job of any aliens to save humans, as I see it. Humans have to decide that for themselves, and humanity is pretty clearly deciding exactly otherwise, at least so far.

I realize y'all of the dominant culture have to have your very strictly compartmentalized definitions of everything, so this thread is going exactly as I thought it would.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I take it you're now assuming I am religious?
Might want to reasess you're assumptions.

Don't worry. I have no delusions you will. But it's funny that you would attempt to "compartmentalize" me then attribute "compartmentalization" to me.

In Freudian psychology, Psychological projection or projection bias is a psychological defense mechanism where a person unconsciously denies their own attributes, thoughts, and emotions, which are then ascribed to the outside world, such as to the weather, a tool, or to other people. Thus, it involves imagining or projecting that others have those feelings.

Projection reduces anxiety by allowing the expression of the unwanted unconscious impulses or desires without letting the conscious mind recognize them.

An example of this behavior might be blaming another for self failure. The mind may avoid the discomfort of consciously admitting personal faults by keeping those feelings unconscious, and redirect their libidinal satisfaction by attaching, or "projecting," those same faults onto another.

The theory was developed by Sigmund Freud - in his letters to Wilhelm Fliess, '"Draft H" deals with projection as a mechanism of defence' - and further refined by his daughter Anna Freud; for this reason, it is sometimes referred to as Freudian Projection.

SOURCE

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

top topics

join