It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archbishop says UK taxpayer should help fund Pope visit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mackey1224uk

The Chinese Premier was not welcome by me, but he came to the UK. He paid nothing for the police presence which protected him from the crowds. I would argue that the Chinese one-party dictatorship is of greater world harm than Catholicism due numbers of people directly subjugated against their will. You can generally choose not to be a Catholic, but in China (or Tibet) you cannot choose very much with a jack boot on your throat.

I did not hear the do-gooders squealing about the Chinese paying when they came for their State Visit, nor do I hear of you cutting-edge righteous swords-of-light on these Boards purposefully boycotting Chinese goods. Perspective is what counts and there is a danger that people’s dislike for religion generally or Catholicism specifically makes them as blinkered and bigoted as their imagination of the target of their ire.

Your other point is interesting. I expect the Pope has to treat Her Majesty with the required respect and reverence that etiquette demands in what would be a meticulously choreographer meeting. You don’t need to bow when you meet the Queen, but I expect the Pope will have to call her “Your Majesty”. Not sure how she would address him, but probably “Your Holiness” rather than Joseph and I am sure the portrait of Henry VIII would be covered.

Regards

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundone
reply to post by Parallex

I take it the pope will not be stopping by for tea & scones in my part of the town then ..

or here in portadown.....there would be a riot of biblical scale...

edit to ad ..the Protector Of Pedophiles Everywhere.. = the p.o.p.e

[edit on 6-9-2010 by fatdad]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Apolls accepted and i wasnt very clear in hind sight so i feel bad about it

God....

What is God??? an omni present being that must have one hell of a supply of Anadin ....

What is the Christian name for the Christian deity?
Yahweh is the Hebrew name, i know its not Bob or Frank cos they live down the road but ive never known the name...
Can u imagine if his name was frank and was at the beginning of the UK national Anthem?? how weird or what?? Hate the tune too!!

Anyway - P.O.P.E. loved that accronym made me laugh for ages i had to give it a star...

Regards

Git

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Considering All the Wealth the Vatican Bank and the Catholic Church have amassed over the Centuries , wouldn't you think they could Afford to pay for one of their Collegium Pontificum's Travel exspenses ?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Well i for one would of thought that , but it seems we lesser souls should fork out for it.

Now , if it were Kylie coming on a visit i think i would pay a lil something, least i could say i own a piece of that lovely ass.. And no i dont feel the same about the Pope!!!

Regards

Git

[edit on 7-9-2010 by completenuttergit]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by completenuttergit

Rather !

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by completenuttergit
[mo

[edit on 7-9-2010 by Zanti Misfit]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
C'mon everyone...we're talking about the POPE! Don't you realize the poor guy is broke, and simply can't possibly come up with even a paltry 12 million pounds to cover the expense of this most important spiritual trip to Britain. The Vatican certainly can't afford to pay for the trip, the proof being that there are millions of Catholics living in poverty, in third world countries. Some of these same countries it seems are at perpetual civil war, but they need these wars not only to give the people something to do, they also keep their minds off the conditions in which they live. There is no way such a kind hearted and concerned religious leader such as the Pope would even consider taking all that away from them, even if he could afford to ease their lives somewhat by helping bring starvation to an end. So lighten up Britain and pay for the poor guy's trip, then afterward send him over to Canada, where our politicians will be only too happy to waste the taxpayers' money! Then there's the Royal Family....another bunch of freeloaders!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bkrmn

OMG

Dont start on about the royals!!! It will rattle the natives, its another topic that gets a monthly bashing! Still i would rather fight and subsidise Queen and country than a wispy old geaser who probably cant wipe his own butt!

Least she does stuff thats useful. (now and again)

God Save The Queen or is that being hypocritical???

Regards

Git

[edit on 7-9-2010 by completenuttergit]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
reply to post by mackey1224uk

I did not hear the do-gooders squealing about the Chinese paying when they came for their State Visit, nor do I hear of you cutting-edge righteous swords-of-light on these Boards purposefully boycotting Chinese goods. Perspective is what counts and there is a danger that people’s dislike for religion generally or Catholicism specifically makes them as blinkered and bigoted as their imagination of the target of their ire.

China is a trading partner with a population of over one billion so a State Visit from their leader is somewhat more justifiable (even taking into account 'issues').

With regard to a dislike of religion informing an individuals position on this - well, you're absolutely correct. And what's wrong with that?

[edit on 7/9/2010 by DSSONE]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Thing is folks,the Popes company,and thats what the Vatican is,a company,could afford to buy him a fleet of f-22 raptors for the trip to the UK,then have him put up in a purpose built diamond and gold hotel,without even noticing the difference in their bank statement.

Why do we the happless taxpayer have to pay?
Simple-because all governments fawn and simper over a pope visit-hes kind of like a rock star to the elite-the boss of the most balls out corrupt company in the history of the world IMO.

Politicians would literally cut off there own you know whats to get a photo with Ratzinger.

You watch em when he arrives,Cameron, clegg and co will be simpering over him like teenage girls at a beatles concert.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
"Human Rights Campaigner, Rev. Kevin Annett, to Serve Public Summons on Pope, Queen of England in London next week

by Kevin Annett: Hidden From History on Monday, September 13, 2010 at 10:19am

Human Rights Campaigner to Serve Public Summons on Pope, Queen of England in London next week - Rev. Kevin Annett will help launch new International Tribunal

Building on a decades-long campaign to expose crimes in church-run Indian residential schools in Canada, Rev. Kevin Annett will be in London from September 13 to 20 to help launch a new International Tribunal into Crimes of Church and State: and will serve a public summons on Pope Joseph Ratzinger and the Queen of England to appear before the Tribunal.

Annett, who helped force an apology and official inquiry into the deaths of children in Indian residential schools from the government of Canada, will be in London during the Pope's visit in order to bring charges against him for his complicity in crimes against humanity.

"The residential schools were one tip of an enormous iceberg of genocide and murder that emanted from the Crown of England and the Vatican" said Rev. Annett today in a press statement.

"Our Tribunal is uniting victims of church-state terror in seven countries, including England, to put on trial the institutions and persons responsible, beginning with the Queen and the Pope."

Rev. Annett will serve a public summons on them to appear before the sessions of the Tribunal. While in London, Annett will also give lectures and readings from his new book, "Unrepentant: Disrobing the Emperor", released this fall by O Books - and he will conduct public prayer vigils of remembrance for the victims of church violence.

A complete itinerary of Rev. Annett's visit to England follows.

From London, Annett will travel with a delegation to Geneva, where they will make a presentation before a United Nations committee, and to Rome, where Annett will conduct a third and final rite of exorcism outside the Vatican. Annett will also speak in Ireland, Slovenia and Germany.

To contact Rev. Kevin Annett in London for interviews, leave a message at 208 340 6779, or through this email. See his website at www.hiddenfromhistory.org .

Itinerary of Kevin Annett's activities in London,

13-20 September, 2010

Monday, Sept. 13: Arrives London

Sept. 14: Available for interviews

Sept. 15: 7 pm - Public lecture to the Secular Society, Conway Hall, Red Lion Square, plus screening of Annett's award-winning documentary film "Unrepentant"

Sept. 16: 11 am - Prayer vigil and press conference announcing Tribunal outside Westminster (Catholic) Cathedral

7 pm: Lecture and readings from his new book at Passing Clouds community centre, north London

Sept. 17: Prayer vigils outside Lambeth Palace and Houses of Parliament while Pope is present - times to be announced

Sept. 18: 1:30 pm - Participation in "Protest the Pope" march, Hyde Park

5:30 pm - Informal meeting and interviews, St. Martin in the Fields

Sunday Sept. 19: 10 am - Prayer vigil and exorcism rite outside Westminster Cathedral, presentation of Summons to Pope

Monday, Sept. 20: morning presentation of Summons to Queen of England, Buckingham Palace

Sept. 20 evening: Departs for Geneva

Note: Kevin Annett will return to England on October 14 for more lectures and events

“No matter what a man’s faculties otherwise might be, if he be willing to risk death, and still more, if he suffers it heroically, in the service he has chosen, that fact consecrates him forever.” — William James

Read and Hear the truth of Genocide in Canada, past and present, at this website: www.hiddenfromhistory.org , and watch Kevin's award-winning documentary film UNREPENTANT on the same website.

UNREPENTANT: Kevin Annett and Canada's Genocide- Winner, Best Foreign Documentary Film, Los Angeles Independent Film Festival, March 2007, Best Director of a Foreign Documentary, New York Independent Film Festival, October 2006- Winner, Best Canadian Film, Creation Aboriginal Film Festival, Edmonton, 2009

"As a long time front line worker with the Elders' Council at the Downtown Eastside Women's Centre, I stand behind what Kevin Annett is trying to do for our people. The genocide that continues today and which stemmed from the residential schools needs to be exposed. Kevin Annett helps break the silence, and brings the voice of our people all over the world."Carol Muree Martin - Spirit Tree WomanNisgaa Nation

"I gave Kevin Annett his Indian name, Eagle Strong Voice, in 2004 when I adopted him into our Anishinabe Nation. He carries that name proudly because he is doing the job he was sent to do, to tell his people of their wrongs. He speaks strongly and with truth. He speaks for our stolen and murdered children. I ask everyone to listen to him and welcome him."Chief Louis Daniels - Whispers WindElder, Turtle Clan, Anishinabe NationWinnipeg, Manitoba"
...namaste...b.
... www.myspace.com/butlincat www.facebook.com/butlincat www.apfn.org

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

www.channel4.com...

The Popemobile has arrived! What an odd looking vehicle.

edit on 14/9/2010 by DSSONE because: Link

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I believe if we pay for the Pope then we must extend that welcome to all religious leaders, no matter how wacky and bizarre, This man is responsible for more crimes against humanity than most other religious leaders I can think of. The damage his anti contraception stance has had on third world Catholic countries is an outrage.

His views on homosexuality, the protection of peado priests and his readmission to the church of Holocaust denier Bishop Richard Williamson just show The Pope should command no respect from any decent human being

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Just because the Catholic Church takes a view on homosexuality, contraception et al does not make the Pope guilty of “crimes against humanity” and to suggest such is rather puerile.

There is too much blinkered, ill informed simplicity regarding the Catholic Church by some posters demonstrated by some of the comments so far.

First off, I am not a Catholic and I am not naturally inclined to defend the Catholic Church, but the level of debate is so low that I feel compelled challenge the ignorance and inject perspective..

I would agree that the Catholic position on contraception probably contributes to a problem in some Catholic countries, in the same way as the position on contraception by some parts of the Muslim world causes social problems in those countries. Similarly, Catholicism may not allow women ministers, but at least women are not second class citizens like in some countries where other religions predominate.

The charitable work by some Catholic charities (such as CAFOD) is highly beneficial to some of the worlds poorest nations. Catholic charities are the third highest giver of aid in sub-Saharan Africa, for example and Catholic nations are amongst the highest givers per capita to charitable appeals, such as Haiti and the recent tragedy in Pakistan.

Whilst we all abhor the actions of a small number of paedophile priests, it is silly to write off a whole religious movement because of it. All religions have bad apples and I am sure there are skeletons in the cupboard of every religion – Amish through to Zoroastrianism.

As a last point. To assess the strictures of Catholicism you need to consider the position of other religions and you may well find that Catholicism is not that extreme. Plus, you can chose not to be a Catholic.

On contraception
- Islam 1
- Islam 2
- Catholic

On homosexuality
- Islam
- Catholic
- Mormon

Etc… Do your own research and learn.

Regards

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
[mor

The tickets for the Pope's visit aren't selling well!

The UK is not a very religious country these days.

The UK public does not like organisations which fail to totally condemn and do everything possible to rid themselves of widespread sexual abuse of children.

The Vatican is one of the wealthiest 'bodies' in the world. It can afford to and should pay every penny itself.

By this statement the spokesman shows what little consideration he has for the hard economic times many are going through. Yes, put this burden too on the taxpayer.

After all, taxpayers are the drudges of society, and pay for all the luxuries and wealth and foreign trips of the 'elite', as well as the criminal banking system which lends money to a nation, only for the taxpayer to be burdened for life with the interest payments alone.

End the Bank of England and Federal Reserve criminal usuray of the nations of the world. Limit the wealth any 'religious' organisation should accumulate. Use the surplus to help those in need. Let all these elite parasites pay for this charade themselves.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Quote:

Whilst we all abhor the actions of a small number of paedophile priests, it is silly to write off a whole religious movement because of it.

Unquote:

Puerile? The actions of a small number of paedophile priests?

For just one example of what you are calling puerile, and the small actions of a small number of paedophile priests, please see this award winning documentary, and the Catholic church's involvement in this.

UNREPENTANT: KEVIN ANNETT AND CANADA'S GENOCIDE (documentary)
video.google.co.uk...#

Then, please see if you still call it puerile.

edit on 14-9-2010 by wcitizen because: added quote/unquote

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Yes, you can choose not to be a Catholic, but that doesn't explain why the taxpayer, and especially the non-catholic tax payer should pay for the papal visit.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Suggesting the Pope is guilty of "crimes against humanity" is puerile.

The subject Paedophile priests is not puerile and this was not stated. You need to read my post with the blinkers off and maybe the words will flow easier and in the order that they have been written down.

Regards

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Well whether he's a raging paedophile and/or paedophile supporter its still ridiculous how much its going to cost for him to visit. I feel sorry for people having to travel around London on those couple of days as well. My friend got this email from transport for London today;

'Dear ********

I am writing to let you know that on Friday 17 and Saturday 18 September, there will be travel disruption across central London, due to the visit of Pope Benedict XVI.

On Friday afternoon, the Pope will travel from Lambeth Palace to Westminster Hall and Westminster Abbey. On Saturday, there will be events at Westminster Cathedral in the morning and Hyde Park in the evening.

On both days there will be road closures, bus diversions and possible changes to Tube station access in and around these areas.

For more information and help planning your journey, please visit tfl.gov.uk/papalvisit'

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join