It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Presidents Involved in Drugs & Alcohol?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by The Empty Skies

It all comes down to moderation and responsibility, opiates for example can be used with no negative consequences if used responsibly yet are highly addictive, marijuana is not physically addictive but can still mess up someones life far more than someone who uses coc aine or Opiates in moderation. If a president likes to chill out with strong 'potentially' addictive opiates now and again i would have no problem(the same goes for marijuana) but i would have a problem if they were severely mentally addicted to marijuana as i have seen the results and it would most definitely effect their work. So it's not the drugs really, just how people use them.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

My fault there, I phrased that last bit incorrectly. I should have read over it before I posted.
I just meant that I myself would generally avoid the highly addictive substances. They don't really seem like my kind of "thing".

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by Sheol

You seem to have some kind of prejudice against drugs and drug users.

Yes I do and I drink too, imagine that.

American Presidents are men of the people, elected by the people. Why should they eschew popular vices?

Are you telling me in million people there are no one who can be a good leader without taking drugs and alcohol abuse?

Are you so naive as to believe that politicians are--or are supposed to be--any better than the rest of us?

No, but Im not stupid to vote for people who have known history of drug use or still use them "occasionally".

Also, do you imagine that modern statesmen and stateswomen can possibly get through their crushing workloads, and keep the insane hours they have to keep, without a little pharmaceutical help now and then--on prescription, of course?

Yes that is why millions of people vote to elect a single person as leader. The person who is elected himself do illegal activities what kind of leader is that. Are the people so weak that among millions of people there is not a single person who can hold the responsibility of leader without doing drugs?

The era of drug prohibition is breathing its last, and about time too. Your outdated attitude and concerns seem been more appropriate to the 1950s. Your use of derogatory terms like 'junkie' and 'pothead' to refer to drug users is inappropriate and insulting.

Junkie and pothead is what they are.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Nixon had a fondness for the bottle that has been documented

Kissinger Tells Of A Drunk Nixon

The call between Kissinger, Nixon's secretary of state and national security adviser, and Brent Scowcroft came just days into the 1973 Arab-Israeli war and centered on Prime Minister Edward Heath's desire to speak with Nixon about the Middle East. "Can we tell them no?," Kissinger asked Scowcroft. "When I talked to the president, he was loaded."

But at least Tricky Dick wasn't alone in enjoying getting hammered in the Oval Office..

America's Drunkest Presidents

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Hhmmm... interesting. Just goes to show you that mind/body altering substance usage is an active part of our life cycle and it escapes no one, even the president. If you don't think so, figure that more than 50% of americans cant go to work, better yet, cant get up in the morning without their coffee. And caffeine is a drug that one can aquire massive dependence to. As humans, we create/discover and harness these substances for both productive and mind-expanding reasons, on the other side of the coin, they are capable of abuse if not used wisely and to their full potential. What i find interesting is that the public is made aware of our presidents' substance usage yet there seems to be minimal reaction from the public overall. Yet, when a common man is arrested for the same usage, he is condemned and destroyed in the public eye. What is amazing, is that a president, a man who has pretty much anything he wants, actually desires to use the substances. They must be beneficial, but only to those of us who are intelligent enough to use them correctly. This is evidence of that.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Medicine used to be sin back in the middle ages. People thought it was an evil destructive force that deserved nothing less than to be banned. Science was also sin, as science was against god, and therefore should be banished. It's no different with drugs... You must understand it's all about fear, we ban everything without giving it critical thought because of our all too human tendancies towards irrationalities; in short we have simply not evolved enough . What also aided the banning and stigma you see today is the fact that we know very little about how they work, as we know very little of how the mind works.

We ignore the immensley beautiful nature of mind activating substances and focus only on the negative. What people need to understand, is that drugs, activate our creators programming, to feel that programming is to taste the future of evolution. The beauty and intricacy of this programming is so amazing, that there is literally nothing to compare it to. The Serotonin system (the programming in the brain that Psychedelics activate) dwarfs in power and beauty ten fold all of what humans have ever engineered combined.

edit on 9-9-2010 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join