It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Prepares For War With China !

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
If other nations to our north constituted a threat, then I'm sure we would increase defense expenditures significantly. Overall, I agree with the Defence White Paper 2009 which indicates small increases in the defense budget each year to 2030. Hopefully the new subs won't be as big of a disaster as the current ones, maybe we should buy them off another country, or something.

When I joined the RAAF as a 17 year old we were informed that we had enough weapons and ammunition to fight for three days!! Sure that was the mid 70's but we have not spent so much on our military since then as our northern neighbour has... they have the latest Sukoi's (spelling?) compared to our rather pathetic 2nd hand FA18 Super Hornets and low numbers of F16's.. along with

LOL!!!

You obviously don't know much about the RAAF, or the IAF, or rather, anything about the RAAF or IAF.

Australia has approximately 70 F/A-18A Hornets, and will receive 24 brand new block II F/A-18F Superhornets. The F/A-18F has mediocre aerodynamics, but extremely good avionics, will be equipped by very capable weapons (JASSM, AIM-120C), and will have information datalinked to it via JORN, and our new AEW&C aircraft. We are probably going to receive 70 to 100 F-35's starting in about 2015 (maybe later since the project is delayed).

Meanwhile, the IAF has a grand total of 10 Su-27, and 10 block 15 (old) F-16s, and no AEW&C. And no the 10 Su-27 that Indonesia has are not the 'latest'. I'm betting that it would only take a couple of days to destroy their entire airforce, and that's without the US getting involved.

[edit on 6/9/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by plube

but as for the koalas....Definately made in Australia.

Wrong!!! You have no idea how much trouble I went through once, trying to find a "Made in Australia" toy Koala for a workmate overseas..

None at the airport, all made in china...

Finally found one in a little Aussie Made shop...

Strewth and crikey it was tough goin..

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

Forgotten the good old Drop Bear????

*s'n-word'*

Even the Aussie Government had warnings out for them -

(warning graphic)

*more s'n-word's*

As for the 60 Minutes report - shows like that these days are laughable at best. Whereas before they were actually semi-decent, they have gone the way of sensationalist "shows" (I use that term loosely) like A Current Affair and Too Lame Tonight. Which is a shame really........

At least we still have the ABC, but they are slowly going downhill too.

Edit - ROFL at the swear filter. Where it says *more s 'n-word'*, I actually put the word S N I G G E R, as in small chuckle. Mods might wanna look at that. Don't want people to think I'm yelling racial epithets when all I was putting was another word for chuckle.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by TerribleTeam2]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TerribleTeam2

lol, thanks mate, "Drop Bears" was the term I couldn't remember...

BTW, that pic would scare the living daylights out of most tourists.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I didn't see the show, but maybe they are using it as an excuse to increase Australia's Military budget.
This is an article from May last year.

A MASSIVE shift in global power away from the US has influenced the Federal Government to increase defence spending to a record $300 billion over a decade.

The White Paper focuses on the massive shift in global power away from the US to countries such as China, India and Russia.

www.heraldsun.com.au...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
so 60 minutes warned of an Aussie/China war... Why?

Why would they even try to place that kind of fear unless there is some legitimacy to it, or it is used to make people scared and insecure.

I doubt there would be war between the two, but if china ever hit aussie, i dont think the US of A would like that at all and would retaliate.

And we all thought WWIII would start in the middle east. if this story has any truth to it, it looks like the pacific theater would be the place where it could start.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Damn i am now in shock even the poor little Koalas are made in china....thats it for sure we are all done for now....China wins hands down.

If they stop making koalas that would mean that Australia is going to start drinking chinese tea....Well lets hope they dont get hold of Fosters.

there is hope Australia....drink more Fosters eveyone.We all know that chinese cannot handle their drink.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

Come now no sane aussie drinks fosters, its the rat piss we sell too the foreigners, now if you want a good aussie beer then look no further than little creatures.

ON TOPIC

I think its funny that this piece of over embellished tripe made it on air, china has not and will not attack in the foreseeable future, subversion on the other hand is quite likely but that has been a given for a while now.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aristophrenia
reply to post by MrSpad

Actually - The Asian basin is the most important shipping region on earth - hard to understand that yes America is big, yes Europe is big but Asia smashes them both - combined as far as global trade is concerned. Scary - but true. China is patrolling and challenging dominance in this area and certainly is engaging in blue water operations - again - please read..

www.2point6billion.com...

Secondly China - as did Russia - have not opted for the enourmous expense of Carriers - instead like the Russians - have developed anti-carrier missiles. In short - challenging carriers supremecacy and rendering them obsolete - with a tiny fraction of the cost through penetrating missiles such as the Russians Sun Burner during the cold war and Chinas new tech.

Also they have a VERY SIMILAR sized Navy.

Here is some more info - including their Nuclear Powered Subs :-

www.sinodefence.com...

General info :

www.comw.org...

Finally China will be deploying their carriers as of next year - while the US does not have the same missile capacity as China in anti-carrier offensive strikes as the US has projected force rather than combated it.

So again - please stop assuming China has no real Navy and can not project force - they absolutely can.

I would be very surprised if they have not already armed Iran with anti-carrier tech. There is a strong suspicion that Iran also has acquired sun buner tech for their high mobility, high speed attack boats.

To sum up - CHINA is defending and patrolling THEIR SHIPPING routes right through to the middle east - and IS NOT ONLY A COASTAL DEFENCE FORCE - so it is you who is not confused - but as I have repeatedly pointed out - Just posting based on assumptions and stereotypes rather than any real understanding of the truth or basic research of the most simple GOOGLE kind.

Have a nice day.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Aristophrenia]

Do you even read the links you post. In them China has a long term goal of being able to project power into the Western Pacific. That its long term goal. And those are your links. Two frigates sent to mid-east is not power projection. Most navies on earth can manage that. You also seem to think number of ships being close is something to go on about. Its tonnage not numbers you need to look at and type and age. Look at the sub force its make up and then do the reasearch on ranges. And please spare me the China has a missle that can sink a carrier. Missles that can sink a carrier have been around for along time. Well the claims have been anyway. Of course the problem is getting a missle intact to a carrier. Nobody has figured that out either. I think you need to avoid places the hype up the PLAN as either a matter of pride or as matter to scare people into demaning its governments spend more on defense. The PLAN is not designed not able to project power beyond its own waters. In fact the entire PLA is not meant to or able to either. When you have Russia, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan and India on your borders you have to worry about being ringed in by large powerful forces. Is it any wonder they are not going waste money trying to create a modern blue water navy that will only spur the US and others build even more.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

It would depend on how they attacked.

China may have the numbers but their navy isn't much chop.

A mass troop invasion may work but they would have to take out Australia's (read USA's) Echelon bases, these bases watch over the entire Asia pacific region and any large troop or naval movements would be closely watched.

Nobody wins when both sides have nukes.
Conventional warfare between 1st world nations is a thing of the past. Psychological warfare is the name of the game today.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

I agree with you..

I'm in Australia and my wife was worried about this...

Sad if 60 minutes has lowered itself to the level of other shows....

Stop watching 60 Minutes, start watching 4 Corners

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Australia is safe from attack. The last thing nwo wishes for is that a neutered country would suddenly grow a pair by allowing a 2nd amendment to flourish. Someone skillfully castrated the common man there, and there's no need to tell them that fact with military actions.

Safe and sound, until the president of the world says otherwise.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

lol, Australians don't drink Fosters, we export it cause its crap

But iced tea is a big hit here, thats scary

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

Nobody wins when both sides have nukes

Australia doesn't have nukes...
Not unless them darn yanks have snuck em in

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM
reply to post by sliceNodice

Nobody wins when both sides have nukes

Australia doesn't have nukes...
Not unless them darn yanks have snuck em in

You never know mate. Look at Pine Gap. It's basically the US of Aus.

And consider the fact that America armed up OBL (think Russia vs Afghanistan. It did happen) and Saddam Hussein, what do you think they would do for us Aussies, considering we are part of the ANZUS treaty???

Never say never!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TerribleTeam2

I never said never...Thems yanks is sneaky

I remember when we refused to let their warships in because the US wouldn't confirm or deny they had nuclear weapons onboard, as is their policy..

On the other note, its amazing how many men have died from weapons sold to the enemy...
The British ship sunk in the Fauklands by a French/British built exocet missle is a great example...

Maybe if they stopped arming these guys they wouldn't be so well armed

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I wouldn't be too worried about China militarily. They have a decent military, but it's primarily to preserve the borders and stability internally. If they were to poke and prod at anybody now, it would be Taiwan and Southeast Asia. And the border skirmish in 1979 and ongoing disputes about a couple islands likely shows that even former allies like Vietnam wont simply bend over backwards for them. Unless something major happens there, there shouldn't be too much reason to worry.

The leadership in China apparently still follows the doctrine set by Sun Tzu. And he was a genius. That's why people still read it today. He pretty much wrote the book that says if you're winning economically and diplomatically, exercising a military action for any other reason (such as to save face) is wasteful and a fool's errand. On the international scene it's better to get along with others despite their differences if the overall situation favors your own livelihood.

The civilization in China didn't last 3000+ years for nothing, they know things. (Sure its government has changed a few times, yet much of the culture, history, language, and traditions really do go back that far.) Thus I think it's safe to say they're happy with the status-quo.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Relax.. Grab another cuppa.. Wont happen .. Thanks for the laugh while taking my afternoon tea .. Though also bit depressing how westerners always ramble on about wars.. Ahh well not my problem so back to my tea and 2 chatting up the cute girls here in china..

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

Aus is the most laid back country in the world. They would not fight anyone except someone who was annoying their mates.

But Aus is a true and real country.

They don't lie, and they fight with their mates.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

They have to find a way to move enough man power toward Australia first.
They currently cant.
China might be an emerging super power, but it has yet to develop true power projection.

There might be a slight hint of fear mongering with this report, but in essence it is telling the truth.
The current build up in Australia is aimed at China, although nobody is going to come out and say it because of the political and economic ramifications it could have.

The buildup in Australia isn't simply a bunch of modernization programs, it's also a beefing up of the Australian Defence Force's capabilities.

Maybe it's just a coincidence that it's happening while China is beefing up too?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join