It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amateurs To Launch Themselves Into Space

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
getting to space won't be the problem. what i want to know is how will they be getting back down? if you are seated in this rocket, what are you operating the levers with exactly? hmm...

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die

if you are seated in this rocket, what are you operating the levers with exactly?

The rocket is operated by ground control

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
From the article in the OP:

While any future astronaut will have the ability to make some limited adjustments and maneuvers, all of the important actions will be performed by the mission control team on the ground

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

From their website:

DESPITE WHAT YOU MIGHT READ IN THE NEWS,
THIS IS A TEST ROCKET FLYING TO A MAX OF 30 KM
(NOT INTO SPACE)

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by packinupngoin

Yes, that message is for today's launch. They will eventually fly into space

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
BBC: Danish rocketeers postpone launch

A group of Danish rocket enthusiasts trying to launch a dummy 30km into the sky had to abort the mission when a valve on their rocket jammed.

[---]

No further attempt to would be made to launch on Sunday, the rocketeers said.

The Danish government has given Copenhagen Suborbitals the use of its ESD139 test range until 17 September.

If the Heat-1X booster cannot fly before that date, the team will have to wait until 2011 for another chance to launch

Danish media reports that the original part with this valve was stolen in a burglary in June. It was replaced, but unfortunately they had not been able to test it before today's launch attempt. They are now taking the rocket back to shore, and hopefully they'll manage to get it ready before Sept 17. Otherwise, they'll have to wait until 2011.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
God damn these guys rule! Star and Flag

The more people interested in going up there the better. I actually know people who would never be an astronaut if given the opportunity?
Baffles me.

Just enough room in there to point a camera! Turn the flash off mind...

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Excellent!
Now maybe we'll get close up photos of alien-crafts, man-made UFOs, secret Tesla-like weaponry and planes that indisputably spray our skies with chemicals!!! (let's just hope the amatuer astronaunts make it home in one piece to upload their findings to this forum!)

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I wish them tons of luck.

These guys are gonna win either a Nobel Prize or a Darwin Award.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
They uh, plan on coming back? They have a squad of ships to pick em up in the ocean.. or just gonna wing it?

Good luck! I applaud the will and determination.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Suicide just got fun.

This has to be a joke right? Reminds me of that film "astronaut farmer" bet the MIB's show up and convince these guys not to go with some flash device. Anything that deals a blow to NASA's ego is a plus even if it is a one way ticket to space has my approval.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by theMegaladon]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Back in May, von Bengtson and Madsen successfully tested a static booster powered by liquid oxygen oxidizer and polyurethane fuel. That booster will burn for 60 seconds, providing enough thrust to achieve their 19-mile voyage without exceeding 3Gs, which would be comparable to the G-force experienced by space shuttle astronauts during liftoff and re-entry.

Seems your question has validity.

The possibility of him blacking out does indeed exist.

Perhaps they have his knees bent somewhat, as if half crouched, to encourage blood flow?

It would be a damn shame if the rocket performed perfectly, but the pilot was out cold.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
this is really great...its like that movie that came out a while back...i wonder if they have come across any resistance from the government about shooting this thing out into space....hopefully their plan includes making it back to earth to tell us all about it.....it would be the greatest story to tell your grandkids....yeah your grandpa and his friend got this crazy idea to launch ourselves into space....what a great accomplishment for a few private citizens to undergo.....will definitely keep an eye on this one....great thread for sure...

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

The two are vying to get one step closer to becoming the fourth group in history to put humans into suborbital flight -- the other three groups have been the space programs of the United States, Russia and China.

They would be the 5th not the 4th. Scaled Composites made history about half a decade ago by being the first privately funded group to send a human into "space".

If these guys don't even know this bit of info then I'm skeptical of the entire operation. I wish them luck and hope they succeed, but how can they when thay can't even count to 5 ?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

I assume that they can count to five. These were the words of a journalist

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by theMegaladon

Yeah but remember in "Astronaut Farmer" he came back totally fine...after observing some awesome space of course. So...on a serious note, hopefully their journey will go as well.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
It sure would be funny to hear the astronauts in the space station if no one informs them of the manned launch!! "See I told you we weren't alone"!!!! Or, look we traveled back in time the Russians are coming!!! Good luck to them whatever may happen.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
well if this was done in the 50-60's the Feds and NASA would of placed a stop to this. Thank Obama for the opening of the private sector.

I hope they are successful.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
not going to happen. there are things in space they don't want us to see, i say they will be shot down with a laser or a missile half way up.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
instead of sending a dummy... they should probably be sending a dog.

just my opinion of course, BUT what do i know.

good luck to these guys, s&f

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join