It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need "CPU" assistance!! BAD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Please..can someone tell me WHY my computer would all of a sudden start connecting to the internet? It's been doing this for a few days now. And It was definately off as I used the phone before I left the house and was gone for 2 hours and came back and it had been connected for 1 hour and 45 minutes??? Noone else was home and we havent changed anything on our computer? Please help..we only get a certain amount of minutes per month and I'd really hate to see it wasted
Sincerely Melissa

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Explorer is evil.

You should never leave it unattended.

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I kinda gathered that....and though you didn't help, atleast It got the serious look of my face

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 08:18 AM
link   
do you have p2p programs, like kazaa?
Or certain programs that need updates every now and then?
Propbably programs like that auto-connect at an unregular basis... I guess

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I have no idea why it would do that, but to prevent it, just unplug the phone jack from the back of the computer, or the wall if you are going to be gone for extended periods of time.

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 12:36 PM
link   
magestica,

You might check to see if you have it on automatic dial-up. If you do take it off. Otherwise do what William One Sac said, "unplug the phone jack." That happens to me all the time in this Area.

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 12:41 PM
link   
right click on the 'internet explorer' icon on your desktop...
go to 'properties'
click on the 'connections' tab
then click on 'never dial a connection'
then 'ok'

...hopefully, that was the problem.

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Hi, just call your local Internet provider tech service department and explain the problem and they will walk you through the fix. You should also check to see if you need the latest windows "updates" from microsoft. They made some changes to Explorer (They fixed that hole)

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I checked the settings and it was set up to auto-connecet-which it's been that way for a while-so why all of a sudden would it connect on it's own, I have no clue?
But I haven't updated in a long time, so you are right too that could be it. I like Williams idea though for sure-just un-plug the phone-now why didn't I think of that?

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 03:04 PM
link   
If you have an external modem, you should have an "on/off " button. So, you will not have to remove the plug. Just push "off" when you leave.

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Well...

Originally posted by Tyler
Explorer is evil.
You should never leave it unattended.

I think where Tyler fell down here is that he failed to provide any resources to back up his opinion...Being short & curt is one of his more "enduring" traits here.

Here's a resource that might help you to understand *why* Explorer is evil...
www....#microsoft.com/

He's right about one thing...Don't leave it unattended unless you unplug your modem from the computer. Unless, of course, you happen to just take a break while waiting for it to complete a large download...

Personally, I've got broadband cablemodem...If I don't want to be online for certain tasks, I'll either leave the modem turned off or unplug my computer from it. Then I'll shut down uneeded "internet-use" TSR's (Terminate/Stay Resident programs) in order to free up more computer resources. If I want to get back online afterwards, I'll hook up the cable & just perform a Restart from the Start Menu so that my TSR's re-initialize (I've got too many to want to start them up individually, so a restart is the quickest & easiest way).

[Edited on 16-3-2003 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Mar, 16 2003 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Melissa

I am actually hacking you're computer, Muahahaha..

Just kidding sis, hehe

posted on Mar, 16 2003 @ 02:16 AM
link   
... You may unfortunetly install a trojan program and somebody connect to your computer.

SOLUTION :

Back-up your files,
Format your disk,
Install linux (or your favorite OS)

new topics

top topics

join