It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New easy to install AFFORDABLE solar technology.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This article looks almost too good to be true.

A solar power company has created solar panels that are easy and cheap to install for the homeowner and they put out AC POWER!

GreenRay Solar offers amazingly simple, inexpensive solar panel technology for your home or business

Not everyone gets excited about the idea of installing solar panels at their home or business. Sure, solar panels may help to cut costs in the long run and establish some level of "off the grid" self-sufficiency, but they are typically expensive and require complex installation and maintenance efforts. But GreenRay Solar, a Westford, Mass.-based solar company, has developed a revolutionary new integrated, simplified solar technology called the SunSine AC Module that produces up to 25 percent more energy than most current technologies, but at a fraction of the effort and cost.

Each SunSine panel is its own individual appliance, in other words, working fully and completely by itself. But the panels can also be attached to one another very simply, and operate at full capacity in a network as well. In contrast to most DC systems that have to be specially configured based on size and climate to power a single central converter, GreenRay's system works optimally whether you have one panel or 20 panels, and in any climate conditions. Once attached to the main electrical distribution panel, SunSine AC Modules are configured to good to go right out of the box.

Natural News

Just imagine, affordable solar power ready to use right out of the box, just plug it in to your home's power system and its ready to go. I'm sure its not quite that simple but, it beats paying out for the wazoo for some electrician to install some whole complicated DC to AC power rectifying system.

Here is the website of the company : Greenray Solar

I hope this stuff is real, it could be a great and affordable way to finally get off the grid.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I am just thrilled that you found this!!
We have wanted to add solar for years, but it was just too outrageously priced and complicated. I'm gonna e-mail them and see if they have anyone near me I can talk to about it!

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
well i went to the web site and looked it over but no ware is there info on pricing or shipping. so i wrote them a email asking about it .
ps maybe something else on the web with this time to go surfing

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

But wait!! Theres more..
With every purchase you receive a set of 6 steak knives....

Nah, joking..
Could be good but the site doesn't give prices so how do you know they are affordable..

Also, it does look like an electrician would still be required to hook into your fuse box..

So not quite the DIY kit it seems...

S&F though because I think more should be useing solar..

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Very cool...I book marked it for future reference. I have always wanted solar panels, and this looks user friendly.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The stuff should be real! This one phrase and necessary piece of equipment listed - 'the main electrical distribution panel' prevents me from getting my hopes up to high for this being affordable to the average person ...but maybe I'll check it out. This stuff should have been real a long time ago...like thirty years ago.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

Check under their "news" heading at the top of their homepage. Several articles about the technology, all really interesting. Sounds like real tech, just waiting to see how costly!

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
o i dont know if its so real why no info on were to buy it?
at this point i tryed every thing I could to get to the info but it just isnt there.
now I dont expect thye ill sell many if you cant order the panels.
ps on the one photo of a panel it shows the PLUG so this would be something that you could hooking a out let through a braker totaly off the grid .
Of corse no power at night but say a small panel just enough to run say 15 amps you can carry anyware .
(batters not included ,Nore needed lol)

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

The main electrical distribution panel is just your ordinary electrical panel where you go to reset tripped breakers. Its no big scary complicated thing you should be afraid of, although, I wouldn't recommend poking around in there if you don't know what you're doing.

Being an electrician myself, I could probable install one of these myself pretty easily. The average homeowner may need a little help though.

The thing I'm most impressed with is that these things put out AC power! That eliminates expensive batteries to store unused energy and expensive voltage rectifiers to change the DC to AC power.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
well i am afraid there responce is just a auto generated emali as taht is what i got.
For something so great there is no contact info other then auto email reply.
looks like it isnt real

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Thank you for that explanation, FortAnthem. I have a lots of southern exposure and sunshine where I am...can't wait for this reality. I actually bring a few of my solar lights in at night to use as night lights. It's a bit of a hassle but I like the idea and so do the kids.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
well i am afraid there responce is just a auto generated emali as taht is what i got.
For something so great there is no contact info other then auto email reply.
looks like it isnt real

Its also late at night on a holiday weekend.

Maybe they'll get back to you on Tuesday when everybody gets back to work.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Perhaps someone on here can answer this solar panel question. I have been wanting to install these things for years, but I have one major fear I have yet to find addressed. Does anyone know if there is an extra fire risk associated w/ these things? And specifically, if there was a EMP event (man-made or solar), would they a) become useless and/or b) pose a fire risk?

I would be so thankful if someone knowledgeable could clue me in.

And thank you for putting this article up here! I will be watching these folks to see if anything comes from it. I have also heard of a new type of business who will in essence rent the panels to you, for a greatly reduced installation cost (just FYI). But full ownership is of course ideal.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I had a similar idea about 4 years ago I was going to take a sanyo solar panel and hook it straight up to an inverter. Only issue was the Inverter I had was 12vdc and the panel put out 42vdc. so I would need a DC transformer as well. It would have most likely burned up the inverter though. but I would have had about 200 watts AC. Never thought about linking them in a series.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Looks pretty sweet.. however, bear in mind, with an AC output you cant store excess electricity in normal batteries. So these would not work in an "off the grid" situation unless you installed an inverter to convert to DC current for storage.. As is, they would simply feed the excess power created back into the grid, reversing your electricity meter and thereby reducing your net power bills. However, you would still need to take power from the grid at night time.
Well that's my impression from a quick glance.. great find however and if the price is right, definately worth a look.

S&F

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Funk bunyip

reversing your electricity meter and thereby reducing your net power bills. However, you would still need to take power from the grid at night time.

If its like here in Australia it doesn't work like that...

Here you first need one of the new "smart meters".
The meter does NOT go backwards..Charge you put back into the grid is metered and credited to you..

Problem here in Australia is the Electricity companies are NOT paying the same as they charge so customers are being ripped off..

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Funk bunyip
Looks pretty sweet.. however, bear in mind, with an AC output you cant store excess electricity in normal batteries. So these would not work in an "off the grid" situation unless you installed an inverter to convert to DC current for storage.. As is, they would simply feed the excess power created back into the grid, reversing your electricity meter and thereby reducing your net power bills. However, you would still need to take power from the grid at night time.
Well that's my impression from a quick glance.. great find however and if the price is right, definately worth a look.

S&F

You make a good point about not being able to store the AC efficiently. I hadn't thought of that.

I've been thinking a lot about solar lately. I went through some online calculators which indicated that to buy a system outright to cover most my needs would run me about $30,000. But I figure I could start small, get a few pieces at a time, and save a lot. I could rewire the house for some 12dc outlets and use LED lighting. Boat and RV stores have a lot of 12v appliances as well. Just buy more panels, componets, and batteries as I go. I think DC is going to be the way to go for solar.

Besides, I get a little leary when they say it's cheaper than regular panels, but don't tell you how much.

"If you have to ask how much it costs ..."

XL5

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
In Aus, if the power company doesn't pay the same as they charge, bring the cord from the solar panels inside and use it to power some lights or the TV.

My fear is that the inverter laying under the panels gets really hot and in night, gets cold and does the inverter in with cracked solder joints and blown capacitors. I think the panels would also need a phase sense wire as well.

The only way they would start a fire under any condition is if they were not tested and you wired them up BEFORE the fuses on the fuse panel. However they should have internal fuses and/or current limiting protection.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

Funny thing is; most of the electric appliances and gadgets in your house have to convert the AC voltage into DC to make the gizmos work.

We use AC because its easier to transmit over long distances. DC actually is much more efficient but, because you can't transmit over a distance, it lost out to AC long ago.

If it becomes more efficient to provide every house with DC power through solar power, I wonder if industries would be able to make the switch?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Next to useless for people that want to go off the grid.

When i go solar it will be on a motor home and i will be useing a 48 volt system and inverter.
48 volt inverters are cheaper per watt output then 12 volt inverters as long as you are not looking for pure Sine Wave inverters.
Also you want Stackable Power Inverters. This allows you to run just the out put wattage you need without the heavy battery drain of a large inverter.

The only need for a pure Sine Wave inverter is electronics like TVs or computers. you don't need a Sine Wave inverter to run lights refrigerator fans AC unit. and if you use LED lighting system you will not even need a inverter for lights

Or in the case of a computer there are special dc power supplies just for this use.
www.powerstream.com...
www.powerstream.com...

One of the big reasons solar systems are expencive is people are being sold systems that are not using system energy properly.
only use AC where needed and if you can use DC it will be more efficient.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join