It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1880 very descriptive UFO sighting

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by -PLB-

I think as you and I have both previously posted, it remains a mystery..

You can leave in the word "earthly" if you wish

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

why would you think its anything other than earthly?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Why would you rule anything out??

I'd say that goes without saying

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
After a discussion with a marine biologist friend of mine, who also posed the question to two other more experienced marine biologists who have considerable knowledge on bioluminescence, they confirm that marine phosphorescent wheels or Poseidon's Wheels are an extremely rare occurrence, there are very few reports out there on this phenomenon, I would hazard a guess that most if not all have already been posted here already.

There is also no known photos of these wheels either, I was hoping there may have been a scientific journal or similar where they have been investigated, but it turns out that marine science is still a vast, untouched field.

My marine biologist friend also mentions that (I believe Doomsday Rex mentions this as well) the spoke effect is caused by the ships wake as it passes through the water and the disturbance on the waves is what agitates the bioluminescent animals (algae).

Whirlpools are also another possible candidate for the wheel like shape, the turbulence within can create symmetric spoke like patterns.

So I know all this has been pretty much mentioned in the thread, but it at least confirms that it isn't some made up theory as some alluded to by some in this thread.

[edit on 6/9/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Mate nice work..
I did say yours was a credible explanation but I still think it will remain a mystery...

I do hope that one day they get a pic of what you describe..
It would look awesome..
Actually a vid would be better...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

i think we need a name for the phenomenon that causes ufo belivers to associate anything they dont know about to alien spaceships.

Norway spiral, hassdalen lights & now wheels of posieden.

I think it illustrates how bereft of material ufo believers are they latch onto anything even when its nothing to do with aerial phenomenon, makes them look desperate. If there was any decent evidence they wouldnt need to do this.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by yeti101]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Please don't put words in my mouth...

I say it remains a mystery..

I didn't say I thought it was a UFO, I'm just open to it being anything..
Earthly or otherwise...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
i think we need a name for the phenomenon that causes ufo belivers to associate anything they dont know about to alien spaceships.

While Quixotism generally refers to an unrealistic belief in chivalrous or romantic ideals, I think it may apply here as well.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeisterFahrer
ok, but explain two rotating circles on each side of the ship, rather than one large rotating cirlce with the ship in the middle.

Only if you explain how God manages to fit in those gaps.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PPGrocks
but how do you explain this large wheel coming up out of the water and rising above the water level....sounds a little strange to me...

Sounds strange to me to, as nothing of the sort was mentioned in the article.

Originally posted by PPGrocks...and it is just crazy how these skeptics actually think in some way that we are special...[

Because it's skeptics that are saying aliens are braving the spaces between the stars to study us. Right...

Originally posted by PPGrocks
the thread I saw the other day that showed us a picture of earth from 114 million miles away just looked like an average star like the hundreds we see in the sky every night....some people need to get off their high horses and realize we are not alone....

That is quite a leap of logic there. There are a lot of stars in the galaxy, therefore there might be alien life, therefore this reported phenomenon must be aliens! Seems you are missing a few steps along the way.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM
[Please don't put words in my mouth...

I say it remains a mystery..

I didn't say I thought it was a UFO, I'm just open to it being anything..
Earthly or otherwise...

For someone "open" to other ideas, you sure are fighting hard against any other idea. What do you really think?

[edit on 6-9-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

For someone "open" to other ideas, you sure are fighting hard against any other idea. What do you really think?

What, can you show me proof of what this occurence was??

If you want to know what I think then read my posts...

But then don't come back with a BS response that I'm not open to an earthly explanation..
I most certainly am, I just haven't seen concusive proof of one yet..

Proof as expected by debunkers like yourself for example..

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

what evidence do you have that it's non-earthly?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I most certainly am, I just haven't seen concusive proof of one yet...

In cases where we have no conclusive evidence, we look at what is available and build the best explanation we can from it, pending future evidence.

To say that this sighting is completely unexplained is insincere. As we cannot go back in time to study the sightings ourselves to draw any definitive conclusion, we must look at what evidence is available to us now. The evidence is that it resembles a known, though rare and little studied, phenomenon, the Wheels of Poseidon. Though the exact cause of this phenomenon is not yet understood, we do know it has something to do with bioluminescence. However, you want to ignore all of this so that you can claim it is completely unexplained. Why?

Proof as expected by debunkers like yourself for example..

Oh, you called me a "debunker", the worst four-letter insult in the unthinking believer's vocabulary. It doesn't offend me, it is something I wear with pride.

I am not asking for "proof" (what was that you said earlier about people putting words in your mouth?) I'm looking for the most cogent explanation best on the best available evidence, and in your case, I'm asking for sincerity. Without sincerity, one cannot have a mature, rational discussion. And there is a distinct lack of it in your posts.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

I hardly think its fair to say ANYTHING as a blanket statement, can apply to all ufo believers. I myself believe steadfastly that there is something more interesting than atmospheric effects out there to see, but until I see some testable science which proves it to be non terrestrial or in some other way not of nature as we know of it, Im hardly going to suggest such a thing.
Its this sort of spurious and generaly unfounded generalisation which causes arguments on threads, and its pointless. Just use more specific language, and the possible problem goes away!

On topic now, where the wheels of light are concerned, that must have been an awe inspiring sight to see. This particular case seems to be a cut and dry natural phenomenon but the description of it is fantastic. Its always staggering to me how far the english language has fallen since the days which produced the report in the OP. I have read countless accounts of UFO sightings, government conspiracy, and all manner of other strange events, and yet those early accounts are often far more detailed, and seem to create a clearer image in the mind, of the phenomenon described.
Some say that a picture or a video of this occurance would help the credibility of the explanation , and often I would agree with them , however there is a factor to consider here which sways me from that view. The marine world is the least explored and least known of the landscapes of Earth. Its secrets and mysteries are deep , and the difficulties surrounding exploring those depths are themselves quite fathomless. It took hundreds of years for science to discover what sailors had known for years, that enourmous squid exist and are more than just a folk tale, handed down by the likes of the Vikings and by famed seafarers down the ages. This was only discovered VERY recently. Then you have phenomena like the "Green Flash". Its said that when the conditions are just right, the dawn brings with it an explosion of green light , an eerie thing to witness. It is not often photographed , because in order to see it, one must be in the right place at the right time, and traditionaly being both there, and in possesion of a camera at one time is incredibly improbable.

www.robtibbles.com...

Visit this link to read about Rob Tibbles , a gentleman who happened to be in that perfect moment, and to see his pictures of the event.
Before it was first photographed in colour (published either 1932 or 1952 depending on what you think a green flash is) many believed the phenomenon to be some invention of old sea dogs, thought to be a handy laugh to be had at the expense of less experienced sailors.
It just goes to show, that this world is full of mystery, and that there are many more to solve before we exhaust the plethora of incredible, fantastic phenomena which have baffled mankind since the development of congitive reasoning!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

yeah ... sort of like ..... a single photograph.

Which in this case ... doesn't exist.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

what evidence do you have that it even exists?

A photo perhaps?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Originally posted by GeisterFahrer
ok, but explain two rotating circles on each side of the ship, rather than one large rotating cirlce with the ship in the middle.

Only if you explain how God manages to fit in those gaps.

You realize you made no sense at all?

If the ripple effect is coming from an engine (as someone pointed out could have happened), there would not be two perfect circles on each side of the ship - the ripples would have created one large circle with the ship directly in the middle.

Ever drop something in water? Does it make two perfect circles on each side of the pount of impact?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/33d95161e2f9.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2916d452bdf6.jpg[/atsimg]

What he describes in spokes on a wheel.... it reminded me of this picture...

www.alienufotruth.com...

This is Ezekiel's wheel. Ezekiel described seeing this in the sky. Although the story in the OP states that this UFO was under water, and Ezekiel's sighting was in the air. The similarity is still crazy. So what did they actually see?

Could be alien, could of been something natural too... but when was the last time someone saw something like that?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Ezekiel also said the four living creatures had their faces covered by a "terrible crystal"

Glass helmet?

And the likeness of the firmament upon the heads of the living creature was as the colour of the terrible crystal, stretched forth over their heads above. Ezekiel 1:22 KJV

[edit on 6-9-2010 by GeisterFahrer]

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join