It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1880 very descriptive UFO sighting

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
this caught my attention:

In Nature, 37-187, and L’Astronomie, 1887-76, we are told that an object, described as "a large ball of fire," was seen to, rise from the sea, near Cape Race. We are told that it rose to a height of fifty feet, and then advanced close to the ship, then moving away, remaining visible about five minutes. The supposition in Nature is that it was "ball lightning," but Flammarion, Thunder and Lightning, p. 68, says that it was enormous. Details in the American Meteorological Journal, 6-443—Nov. 12, 1887—British steamer Siberian—

www.sacred-texts.com...

and this:

Vast wheel-like constructions. They're especially adapted to roll through a gelatinous medium from planet to planet. Sometimes, because of miscalculations, or because of stresses of various kinds, they enter this earth's atmosphere. They're likely to explode. They have to submerge in the sea. They stay in the sea awhile, revolving with relative leisureliness, until relieved, and then emerge, sometimes close to vessels. Seamen tell of what they see: their reports are interred in scientific morgues. I should say that the general route of these constructions is along latitudes not far from the latitudes of the Persian Gulf.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by GeisterFahrer]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

But why do you assume that all these phosphorescent events are similar or occur with the same frequency? That is a bit like saying a tornado isn't a meteorological phenomena because it doesn't look like other meteorological phenomena and doesn't occur that often.

In all reports I have read, including the one in the OP, the observers describe it as a phosphorescent phenomena. The magnitude, shape and color made the observers so dumbfounded. All it means is that it is a rare event.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
The Patna was mastered by a J. Avern in 1880.

I have found some geneology sites which suggest that his full name was James Avern.

So at least the ship and the Captain appear to be confirmable as valid.

*edit to correct date info*

[edit on 9/6/10 by Hefficide]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

Because we know that phosphorescent algae exist on earth. There is no reason to believe it comes from outer space.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MY2Commoncentsworth

how do you figure that ? it could be a craft made by a civilization from the moon for all we know.

It's not like either of us has been off this tiny planet and our government lies about the existence of ET's.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by -PLB-

The journal I posted a link to explained that if what was seen was marine life, when it reached the surface, the marine life would have disintegrated.

What that means is that if it were marine life, it would not have followed the ship for 20 minutes, nor would it have rotated or spun.

I find it interesting that the scientists of the day also thought it could have been glowing marine life, but ruled that theory out.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by -PLB-

And I take it these little creatures can swim at 50 ms ??
(as per your quote]
Thats 180 kmh about 100 mph for you yanks

Sheesh, Phelps would have no chance

[edit on 6-9-2010 by CynicalM]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

this whole thing is very intriguing. According to the link I posted, the OP's article was not the only reported sighting of these spinning wheels in the Persian Gulf.

So, if marine life is and has been ruled out .... what the heck was it?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

The idea is that vibrations from the engine and or water displacement of the ship is causing the phenomena. So not the creatures are moving at those speeds, but waves are.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by -PLB-

Sorry, don't buy that..

There was no engine on this sailing ship and it's motions would not make circular vibrations as described..
I would expect them to be wee elongated at best..

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

This was a steamship - it did, indeed, have an engine.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Just out of curiousity, does anyone realize that the Russian Navy declassified their USO encounters last year?

So ... yet another government disclosure .....

rt.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

oops, sorry it did have a steam engine.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Here is a link to a more modern and traceable occurance of the marine lightwheel by a US Navy ships crew in 2009.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
ok, but explain two rotating circles on each side of the ship, rather than one large rotating cirlce with the ship in the middle.

If, of course, you think the engine was causing the ripples that is ....

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I agree it may not be the most expected thing to happen, but so far this is the best explanation I have seen. It does make sense to me. Why do you think it is not possible?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Thanks for the link. I still don't buy all the jargon about bioluminescent micro-organisms moving at the speed of sound ....

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

Take a look at this report: www.knmi.nl...

I don't know why all those different shapes occur. But I do know that with altering frequencies of vibration you can create all kind of shapes. See for example this: www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by -PLB-

Mate, I'm on the fence with USO's UFO's but I'd have to say there are the best explanation given what I have read so far...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

The problem I have with any kind of craft or ship generating the lights directly is both the reported size and the fast changes in geometry. It goes from circles to straight parallel lines that seem to go as far as the horizon. So it must be a craft or ship affecting the sea that causes the phenomena. And then it could be the ship itself affecting the sea, or a UFO. But in any case, the phenomena seems to be coming from the sea itself. The only thing that is a mystery is what exactly causes the phenomena to initiate. The article linked above proposes that electromagnetic energy initiates it.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join