It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS recommended reads

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

bookmarked, thanks for the link.
some of the best books are quite old. ill have to search around the site for some books on eastern philosophy

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tweakedvisions

I read it. It costs about $45.00 each volume, though you can buy earlier editions cheaper from some sites. I doubt those other sites would include the CD-ROM either.

It definitely makes a strong case for the falsification of most of our science of the last century. Really hits Einstein's theory of relativity hard too. Most scientists were sceptical of it until they discovered that it was the only way to explain away scientific evidence for an unmoving Earth, then they all jumped on board the bandwagon.

Its an expensive book but I would say its well worth the money.

I haven't gotten around to reading volume II yet although I do have it in my personal library.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
ill check the library first, see if they have it. but it definitely does sound interesting. its a new, old way of thinking haha. if its proven to be true, it would definitely turn a lot of things on their heads

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The Prince by Machiavelli and The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky (I think I spelled that right). These are two books everyone should read. Oh, and of course 1984 by Orwell. Can't forget that can we?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'm just posting this because I don't want the thread to die. Please don't let the ATS book club die

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a bit of fiction to start.
i like garry jennings. i enjoy good historical fiction and this guy can write.
the journeyer is an account of the marco polo travels. local customs, high adventure on land and sea, trade routes etc....
he also wrote aztec which is seriously worth a read.
this was followed up by, i believe tree more. i've only read the first two. aztec autumn being the second.
rituals, traditions, customs, adventure etc......

jon krakauer is also worth a read, i mean basically, anything the guy writes.
into thin air is the account of the everest tragedy in 96.
he also wrote 'into the wild', which many might have already viewed the cinema version.
then there's 'under the banner of heaven, about the fundamentalist mormons. more inside the link. like i said, anything this guy writes is good.

lets see, oh yea.
the creature from jekyll island. g.edward griffins truthful account of the federal reserve.

black elk speaks. which is available to read right here, along with more native american oriented writtings.

well, that's enough for now.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

i also like jon krakauer's Into the Wild. because of the movie, im sure most of you know about this book. i personally didnt like the movie, but i do like the book. for those of you who dont know what its about, ill explain it a bit. into the wild is about a young man, christopher mccandless, who after graduating college gives all of his savings away and precedes to take a trip from east coast to west coast, then eventually makes his way up to alaska. he survives over 100 days in the alaskan wilderness with just a 10 pound bag of rice, a .22 caliber rifle, some ammo, and a field guide of the areas edible plants. there were a few other things he had but they didnt assist him in his survival.
thats an extremely basic summary of the book, theres more to it than just that, but i dont wanna spoil it for any would-be readers

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

i personally didnt like the movie, but i do like the book

this is usually a pretty standard quote for me.
can anyone point out a movie that was better than the book?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I'll name three, The Godfather, Gone With The Wind, and Jaws.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Guns, Germs& Steel by Jared Diamond
Shock doctrine by Naomi Klein
Destruction of the European jews by Raul Hillberg
The creature From Jekyll Island by G.Edward Griffin
The New Rulers of The World by john Pilger
War is A Racket by General Smedley D Butler
Media Control by Noam Chomsky
The Israel lobby and US foreign policy by John J Mearsheimer
Empire by Niall Ferguson
Web Of Deceit by Mark Curtis

Here is a few random books i picked out from my shelf, all good reads. Im not a fan of fiction at all though.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

"Man on Fire" was wayyyyy better as a movie than a book.

I would like to nominate a book that is one of my most treasured and is considered controversial by many people.

"The Origin of Species" (On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life.)

By Charles Darwin, 1859

I know nearly everyone in our society has heard of Charles Darwin and the Theory of Evolution but not everyone has read his book. It is an amazing book and if you have never read it I highly encourage you to do so.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

now im sure i could easily guess this one, but... whats 'The New Rulers of The World' about?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0500b01af88d.jpg[/atsimg]

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions
By Thomas S. Khun

The most important book since Newton's Optics,
it is where the word paradigm comes from. Khun
shows how massive change takes science by skipping
a generation and just letting the old hold outs fade away.

David Grouchy

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
L.Ron Hubbard------Mission Earth series. 10 books great story. Sci-Fi

I love the ATS book club idea.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
One more book that I think is VERY ATS related is a unique theory about our reality. It is called "The Fractal Geometry of Nature" by Benoit B. Mendelbrot. He is the person who coined the term "Fractal" and he saw an association between mathematics and Nature. The book is amazing and provides insight into what we see around us every day.

Reading this book changed my life (lol I know it sounds corny).

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

l ron hubbard, i cant help but laugh
ive never actually read any of his works... its just the whole scientology thing
he might be an amazing writer though, i actually assume he is a great writer in the science fiction field.

edit to say thank you

[edit on 9/5/2010 by tweakedvisions]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Not one particular event, the subject as a whole though is about the new western imperialism, it's tactics, how it uses propaganda and it's interference in other countries etc. The backing of General suharto in indonesia, the iraq war, the war on terror and the increasing big brother state etc etc Very good book, you can pick it up for cheap on amazon. I enjoyed it tremendously.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The Emperor Wears No Clothes - Jack Herer

If all fossil fuels and their derivatives, as well as trees for paper and construction were banned in order to save the planet, reverse the Greenhouse Effect and stop deforestation; then there is only one known annually renewable natural resource that is capable of providing the overall majority of the world's paper and textiles; meet all of the world's transportation, industrial and home energy needs, while simultaneously reducing pollution, rebuilding the soil, and cleaning the atmosphere all at the same time... and that substance is -- the same one that did it all before -- Cannabis Hemp... Marijuana!

its amazing how useful this single plant is, yet is still highly demonized by a large number of people. it seems that in the past years people are loosening up to cannabis though.

i know theres a few places on the internet where you can read the book for free. if i find one, ill add a link. there is a lot of good information in the book. i would recommend this one to anybody, even my grandmother!

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by idonotcollectstamps

i know this will be a book i enjoy, ive noticed the link between math and nature for about as long as i can remember. im also a big fan of fractals, i can stare at those for hours!

reply to post by Solomons

im thinking that i need to set up an amazon account. everybody here has given great contribution, thank you all for helping me expand my library

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
breakfast of champions -- kurt vonnegut

the rainbow conspiracy

communion

fear and loathing in las vegas -- hunter s. thompson

the han solo trilogy

the grapes of wrath -- john steinbeck

i'll probably come back with some others later, i'm having abit of a block

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join