It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Jesus Christ did for anyone that might accept

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I decided to post this after some deliberation but I have spoken with people who do not understand this and I have came across others on the boards over the last year or so that do not understand this either, simply because nobody has mentioned it to them before. In this day and age of information and with how old the Bible now is, I think its something that everyone should be aware of regardless of race, belief, location etc.
That way they can make an informed choice should they wish.

In a nutshell, im just trying to show exactly what that choice is and what it offers to anyone that will choose it.

I have been a Christian now for just over a year and have been eagerly reading scripture. To most Christians I am still in my early years but I wish to simply share a finding I came across when looking at Jewish customs at the time of Jesus Christ's period on earth.

Im going to try and make this easy to read and it includes some bible texts as well to make it clear to understand for anyone that wants to understand what it means to accept Jesus Christ. This might be a little long but ive seen longer to be honest so please bear with me if you want answers

If you look at Jewish wedding traditions back in biblical days and even the words used in the bible it is literally a marriage between Jesus and his church, ie, anyone that accepts the offer proposed as opposed to the world view of bricks and hundreds of denominations of religion.

There are 7 biblical traditions of the marriage if it is Jewish and the bible explains exactly what accepting Christ means. Please bear in mind that I am not Jewish and apologies if my spelling is off but this is what I have found from my own research using the bible, translating each part as best as possible and the customs used during these times...

The Match (also known as Shidduch)

1st - The father gets a matchmaker to help them pick the bride, this is called "the match" in english and Shidduch in traditional Jewish language.

John 15:6 "You did not chose me, but I chose you"

John 6 v33-37 "All that the father gives to me will come to me... No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him"

God matched us to Jesus in other words and the bride must accept the fathers proposal. This is why you need to pray a sinners prayer to accept Jesus into you life.

The Bride Price (also known as Mohar)

2nd - The Bride Price, this was decided between the two parties and the groom would pay the price for his bride.

1Corinthians 6:20 "You are not your own. For you have been bought with a price.."

1Peter 1:18 "Knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things... but with the precious blood.. the blood of Christ"

Jesus died for everyone, that was what we were worth and he paid it so that we might accept him, love or what?

The Love Gifts (also known as Mattan)

3rd - The Love Gifts, this is where the groom would offer the bride gifts that were voluntary as an expression of love.

John 10:27-28 "My sheep hear my voice and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of my hand"

John 14: 27 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.."

John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrightousness"

John 15:11 "I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete"

Jesus gives eternal life, peace, forgiveness and joy as gifts for us accepting his offer of salvation.

He did not have to do this, it was completely voluntary.

The Dowry (also known as Shallen, spoken as "Shelloween")

4th - The Dowry, this is where the father of the groom would give gifts to the bride, specifically to help equip her in a new life with the groom.

John 14:16-17 "And I will ask the Father and He will give you another helper...That is the spirit of truth"

This is a gift from God to help you live for Jesus.

Romans 12:6 "We have different gifts, according to the grace given us"
This is an actual person specific gift given to you to serve Jesus.

2Corinthians 1:21 - 22 "Now He who established us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as pledge"

This word Pledge, translated into Greek is ARRABWN which is the word for engagement ring.

This is the gifts that God gives as the Father.

The Marriage Contract also known as (Ketubah)

5th - The marriage contract, this was a legal document outlining the bride price, the promises of the groom and the rights of the bride. At this point in the marriage ceromany the groom would offer the bride a cup but she did not have to take it, if she did take it she was saying she agrees to marry forever.

1Corinthians 11:25 "In the same way, He took the cup also after supper, saying "This cup is the new covenant in My Blood; do this as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me"

He is saying that this is the new contract signed with my blood, he paid the price with his blood, do you accept?

The Betrothal (Kiddushin)

6th - The Betrothal, after the marriage contract was signed, this meant that they were legally married but they still did not live together. Two things had to happen at this point,
1) The groom had to go away and make preparations for their lives together. During that time the Bride had to demonstrate their purity and prove that they would not sell themselves out to other suitors.

2) The groom would go back to the Fathers house and had to build an addition onto the Fathers house called the Bridal Chamber. If a Jewish Father had 5 kids, 5 additions would be added to the house if they got married. They lived in mansions over time as families grew. The father had to be satisfied that the Bridal Chamber was good enough or too his liking before they could move into it.

John 14: 2 - 3 "In my Fathers house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you and if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again, and recieve you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also."

If it took God 6 days to create the universe, can you imagine what is waiting after over 2000 years of making??

The Taking also known as (The Nissuin)

7th Stage - The Taking, once the bridal chamber was completed and the Father had inspected it, he would tell the son to go and get his bride. This could take a week, a month or years in the making as the Bridal chamber had to be perfect and to the Fathers satisfaction with the craftsmanship etc. Nobody knew the hour that the decision would be made because only the Father knew.

The Bride would wait, with no contact with the groom during this time and no idea when the groom was coming to take you away. When the groom came (anytime, during the night or day) you had to be ready to leave for good, the bridegroom would blow a horn and shout, that heralded his arrival for the bride and she would run out to join him, she would be taken away to the fathers house.

1Thessalonians 4:16,17 "For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout..then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the lord in the air, and thus we shall always be with the Lord"

This is why Jesus is returning for his bride, the church, believers in Christ.

I hope this is easy to understand for anyone that wishes to read it that has not heard it before, if it helps make sense of things then I offer a prayer for you to accept Christ into your life if you wish to do so and do not know how.

“Father, I know that I have sinned. I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me.
I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins.
I accept Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.”

God Bless you all.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Interesting perspective and detail, thanks for writing that up. It's not quite the way that I view things, but I know a number of Christians who hold similar views, so thanks for speaking up for them.

In the end, accepting Christ and living in accordance with his teachings is the most important aspect of Christianity. What brings you there, and what you believe, so long as it is not in conflict with his teachings, that is not really vital.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by adjensen]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Agreed, I'm not religious but live my life "hopefully" by the same moral standards that are preached..

If I was God, would I want Man to do any more than that?
Do you need to pray?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Nice breakdown XXXN3O!
S&F...

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

Theologically, there is a significant difference between Christianity and "living a good life", but, for me at least, living by Christ's teachings, though simple, is very difficult to accomplish without his help.

God says that he wants a relationship with you. If you wish to live your life in a manner that you personally judge as being good, that's fine, but you will not have that relationship (with the benefits that come with it) if you ignore or reject God.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Are you saying I can live a perfectly moral life but still not get to Heaven just because I don't pray?

What of the many millions in the world that don't even read and have never heard of Christ? Are they doomed also??

Nah, don't buy it..

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM

Are you saying I can live a perfectly moral life but still not get to Heaven just because I don't pray?

What of the many millions in the world that don't even read and have never heard of Christ? Are they doomed also??

Nah, don't buy it..

Romans 1:20

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

Ecclesiastes 3:11

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

Romans 1:21–23

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images

Deuteronomy 4:29

But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.

There would be no need for anyone to share the gospel if anyone who did not hear it was granted what it offers. It would mean it is better to not hear it than to hear it which is completely contradictory to what the bible teaches.

The bible states on numerous occasions that anyone who seeks God will find him.

If you want to know the truth, ask in prayer.

Salvation through works does not work, if it did, there would be no point in a bible or Jesus.

Just answering your questions but if they are rhetorical then feel free to ignore.

Its your and anyone elses choice.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

No offence but to me they are words from a man, not God..

Do you believe everything you read?

If God is all you say then surely he would in some way show himself to everyone..Then we would know it is His will, not the will of men..

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

No offence but to me they are words from a man, not God..

Do you believe everything you read?

If God is all you say then surely he would in some way show himself to everyone..Then we would know it is His will, not the will of men..

No I dont believe everything I read but I believe the words of the bible.

I came from a background that was nothing to do with any type of religion but thats another story.

If God were to appear right now in front of everyone, state to the whole world that he exists, that would make God a dictator which would mean he would break the promise of free will. That cannot happen as you have free will but this is yet another reason that he sent Jesus Christ, another human being, to show the way.

You have choice.

PS: I wouldnt take offence at all chief.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

As I said, theologically, you are correct. By rejecting Christ's sacrifice, you reject God's presence in your life, and you reject God's presence in the next life. Being with God is something that he grants through his grace, we don't earn it through our own actions.

Saying that you live "a perfectly moral life" means nothing if it is you who decides what is moral or not -- Christ has two simple commandments, to love God and to love everyone else as yourself. It is highly unlikely that you live in accordance to Christ's teachings, as few (none, many would say,) Christians are even able to do so, which is where the "saved by faith, rather than works" part comes in.

Beyond theology, there are many who believe in the "second chance" option of purgatory, so if it is your intent to continue to reject God, you'd best hope that those guys are correct.

This is unknown, but it is generally accepted that those who live by Christ's teachings have accepted him, whether they know of him or not.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

Also, I think its worth pointing out as well because many people ponder what happens to children that die before they are even mentally aware...

Deuteronomy 1: 39

Moreover your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, and your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go in thither, and unto them will I give it, and they shall possess it.

Hebrews 11: 13-16

These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland. And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return. But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them

2 Samuel 12:22-23

So he said, 'While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, 'Who can tell whether the Lord will be gracious to me, that the child may live? But now he is dead; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me

God loves everyone and heres even further proof taken from texts of the bible and pieced together as should be read, its worth hearing because your heart can feel it as the scripture says...

I say proof because the Bible is God inspired scripture, God's message to mankind fulfilled by Jesus Christ.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

IF...you believe the bible then God did send Jesus to earth to show the people of the time the miracles God could perform..

Jesus was supposed to have performed many miracles, walking on water, feeding the multitudes etc etc...

But that was 2000 years ago and my memory is not that good...

I'm just saying if God is real then why doesn't he do the same today?

Show us some miracles to help us believe..

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

IF...you believe the bible then God did send Jesus to earth to show the people of the time the miracles God could perform..

Jesus was supposed to have performed many miracles, walking on water, feeding the multitudes etc etc...

But that was 2000 years ago and my memory is not that good...

I'm just saying if God is real then why doesn't he do the same today?

Are asking these things for yourself or for everyone else.

The reason I say this is because I felt the same at one point until I prayed to God to see.

If you want the world to see God that is an oxymoron because the world is not going to choose God because things are happening right now.

If you want to see that God exists its something that you must seek with your heart as it states as well.

It is your choice and everyone elses.

You cannot make the choice or choose for everyone to see it.

I hope that makes sense.

Pray to God from the heart if you want to see.

I say this because its what I did and I am grateful for the answers I have been given.

If your as eager to know the truth as it seems from your posts, you will get an answer.

You may not like what you are taught or shown but thats the point, God is the perfect father, teacher and guide. Just be ready to take it on if you do.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

This is unknown, but it is generally accepted that those who live by Christ's teachings have accepted him, whether they know of him or not.

Now you're just confusing me..

Its one or the other, not both...

I say its the way we live that matters, not who we pray to..
You say I MUST accept God, then come up with the above quote.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

My Brother, there are miracles all around you. How infinitely large is the universe, and infinitely small the microverse, and both are bound to each other by precise measurements which defy any chance of mere randomness. Who arranged things in such precise order that we could calculate its movements? What a Miracle! Man has yet to do such a thing.

What about the absolute feeling of joy that overcomes a father at first sight of their child? Wow! What a miracle!

The feeling of our first kiss!

The warmth of a spring time sunrise.

The touch of a babies hand.

My goodness Brother, there are miracles all around. We just take them for granted because we have figured out to explain them to some small degree. There are enough wonders in a single grain of sand to occupy the entire lives of our most brilliant scientists, yet we see no miracles! Pah, blind is man and undeserving of any further proof.

But, there are more to come...

Not a Christian, but Jesus is my Brother of God, as are you.

With love,

your Brother

[edit on 4-9-2010 by IAMIAM]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Now you're just confusing me..

Its one or the other, not both...

I say its the way we live that matters, not who we pray to..
You say I MUST accept God, then come up with the above quote.

No, it's the same thing.

You know of God's offer, and your knowledge allows you to accept or reject it.

Your question is in regards to people who do NOT know of God's offer. As I said, this is unknown, but most believe that, even in the absence of understanding God's plan, there are some who tacitly accept his offer by choosing to live by Christ's teachings independently of him. God's grace, the same grace that makes the offer to you, saves that person because God is just and wouldn't reject a person because they were ignorant of his offer through no fault of their own.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by adjensen]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Welcome to the family!

It's great to hear that, praying for ya...

OT

PS: This one helped me a lot back in the day...please listen if you have time/desire

www.tonycampolo.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
reply to post by XXXN3O

Welcome to the family!

It's great to hear that, praying for ya...

OT

PS: This one helped me a lot back in the day...please listen if you have time/desire

www.tonycampolo.org...

Ive listened to Tony quite a few times from links in your posts.

Ill pray for you too brother.

God Bless.

PS: Billy Crone is one to listen too as well.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

OK, I'll listen to...

Thx!

OT

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

My Brother,

I want to congratulate you on finding your way. If it brings you closer to God, stay the course. I am a firm believer in Jesus Christs words, though I do not believe he is alone as a Master. This does not make us at odds with each other, for if you live in love, as Jesus lived in love, all are your Brother.

I did want to ask you a question. I am sure you have contemplated the crucifixion of Christ in your journey. What was the greatest lesson in that sacrifice to you personally?

If you don't mind answering of course.

With love,

Your Brother

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join