It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aucklands Volcanic Field

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Mainly for the benefit of XPLodER, who on the 7.0 Christchurch thread seemed to be confused as to how many extinct volcanos there were in the Auckland area.

Anyone who has been to Auckland will know about the volcanic cones, you can't miss them, in fact until the Skytower was built the first sign of Auckland city when you were coming from the south was One Tree Hill volcano.

This old map was drawn by Dr. Ferdinannd von Hochstetter in 1830 showing all the cones and vents.
Of cource the city, with a population of over 1 million, is now built over the top of most of them.
I grew up in Mt. Roskill and lived just south of the 3 Kings (there is a huge Mall there now on the north side of the ridge.)

If you don't think Auckland is a hilly city, try cycling to the top of as many volcanic cones in one day that you can
You'll need a mountain bike for some of them.

Heres the map (there is a bigger clearer version here)

They don't get many quakes up there these days, perhaps 2-3 a year, mostly in the Hauraki Gulf off Whanagaparoa Peninsula and last year there was one on the north end of Waiheke Island. They are usually minor quakes 1-2 Magnitude.

edit:
can't seem to get the scroll bars up on the image .... help please

[edit on 4-9-2010 by muzzy]

[edit on 5-9-2010 by muzzy]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Excellent work Muzzy, thanks for the maps.

I walked on One Tree Hill never knowing it was an extinct volcano... and I would be more concerned for the middle of the North Island with it's active volcanos and massive water-filled ancient cauldera nearby.. sitting on crust 1/50th the average thickness.

Methinks another large Quake in the North Island that may cause more activity with the three live volcanos is immenent (spelling?)

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Awesome map muzzy! Thanks for finding that. S & F for sure.

It is amazing the volcanic history of that region. Definitely must keep vigilant.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

That's great map!

To get the scroll bars just delete the "ats" from the "astimg" tag. Figuring that out bugged me for a while.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Three_moons

Thanks

I fixed it.
Yeah I'm a big fan of Hochstetter, he's done some other good stuff too.
I'm a bit of a Cartographer (map maker) wannabe .
Nowadays we use computers.
How on earth did he do that when they didn't even have planes, let alone satellites ?
Captain Cook is another idol of mine.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by muzzy]

top topics

join