It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skinny chicks: an Evil plot to dumb down the next generation?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
online.wsj.com...

People should consume, on average, no more than 2,000 calories a day, according to U.S. dietary guidelines. Eat fiber. Avoid saturated fat. And keep your sodium intake under 2,300 milligrams a day.....

Indeed, people who are 10-to-15 pounds overweight appear to have no greater risk of dying than those of so-called "normal" weight. Other studies have shown that those who are overweight are no more likely to die from cancer or cardiovascular disease. Also, being a little overweight may help stave off osteoporosis. And it can make you look younger, too. ...

Indeed, researchers and doctors are starting to understand that eating healthy foods and getting exercise can matter more than the number that appears when you step on the scale.

www.wired.com...

Being a bit overweight doesn’t raise your risk of dying from cancer or heart disease, and could actually protect you from some infections, say government researchers.

The findings, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association and based on 2004 mortality stats for 2.3 million U.S. adults, are the latest pieces in the confusing scientific puzzle of body, weight and health.

www.bbc.co.uk...
Underweight affects health!

newsroom.blogs.cnn.com...

Study done in Portland, Oregan followed over 11 000 Canadidans for 12 years and found that those who were overweight were 17% less likely to die off.
Nature should tell you something. Keeping fit and trusting your body to tell you what nutrients you're missing is vital, but take a look at nature, and then the artificial world around you, you'll get teh picture.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Ok, so when someone puts together some facts on large bones girls and small boned vs. IQ maybe I'll listen.

I'm a US size 3-4.
I live in an area where most young women are US size 0.

I work hard, I've got my share of muscle, and BIG BONES.

I look like a linebacker next to some of these young women but you'll not find a tick a fat on me.

IQ wise? I'm not saying they're stupid, but I'm not the dullest spark flicked from a Bic either.

IMO there's no truth to the study... Unless all the skinny chickies were studies were blond...

peace

[edit on 5-9-2010 by silo13]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This thread is absolutely ridiculous.This is super paranoia.Fat birds are smarter because they try harder.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I think the OP is miss leading Hip to waist ratio is the study not overall fat content. Women statistically with larger hip to waist ratios have easier births and the study showed higher IQ.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
IDK I can eat like a horse and I have been superskinny my entire life as well as my Hubby and we are pretty super smart and so are our kids. My daughter is also superskinny and was honor roll most of her academic life and was in honors classes and advanced, so IDK, our hips to waist ratio isn't that much either. I think this scientist or whatever conducted this whole thing is a hack! I say most of her academic life cause she is still only in her sophomore year of high school and this means she hasn't finished her academic years.

And me and my daughter are blondes as well.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

I don't think it was the OP. I think it was all the posters who came in and took the phrase "fat-bottomed" to mean morbidly obese and started going on about "fat chicks" while just ignoring what the study, and most of the OP, was actually talking about.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I think threads like this may infact be responsible for dumbing down the next generation, not 'skinny chicks'

good grief

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

The camera does not add 10 pounds. That is an old excuse. Bad poses, wardrobe are more to blame. I've worked around many models. Yes, they are thin most of the time, but as I said-thin and curvy are not opposed concepts. There are thin and curvy women. I showed one earlier. It has nothing to do with malnutrition. These women wouldn't be curvy even if they were at a healthy weight. Why? Because Curvy as defined in this study is a WHR of around .7 or less. That has nothing to do with weight and everything with your bone structure. Eat as much as you like, it won't make you curvy.

I have met and dressed curvy size zero ladies.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Damn curvy size 0 ladies!!! I think most ladies wish that that the size 0 curvy models were really dumb because it just isn't fair to have it all!

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

That's very true. I think the stereo type the media is pushing is the anorexic look or the photo shopped look that is unattainable in other words the barbie look. Skinny long legs a bust that could suffocate some one and hips that could birth an elephant in comparison to the tiny waist. Look at celebrities or models on the run way, most of them, key word being most, look as though they have an eating disorder. Many young girls see this and go I should do this and become skinny too. Our female role models are twigs so of course naturally big boned young girls are going to think they are fat and starve them selves until they are stick thin.

If you look in ancient time women with a bit more meat on their bones was idolized. Why? It showed health, and that they could provide a meal to offspring, and they had stronger bodies, which in most cases is true. If you were to take a thin thin woman and compare her to someone with a bit more meat to them you would say well the one with a bit of meat to her could fend for her self and appears stronger. I think the media really needs to push that being a health weight doesn't mean under 120 pounds. It means a healthy weight for your size not too skinny but not too overweight. Instead thin is in, and the less you weigh the healthier you are. Which is not true by any means. I'm nearly 6 feet tall and have an average frame, there is no way I could be as skinny as the models in magazines without A) Starving my self to the point of death B) photo shop C) Plastic surgery.

reply to post by stephanies-chase

I agree there should be a law against size 0 curvy people its not fair to the rest of us. If I want to be that tiny i'd have to give up the majority of my curves bye bye DD's and say hello to A's.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Xiamara]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by stephanies-chase
reply to post by antonia

Damn curvy size 0 ladies!!! I think most ladies wish that that the size 0 curvy models were really dumb because it just isn't fair to have it all!

It should be noted the women I met who were size zero and curvy were normally between 4'11 and 5'2. They were short. 35-25-35 is gonna look different of a 5'2 lady as opposed to a 5'10 lady. Proportions are what we are talking about here. They look different on all heights. Women get all hung up on the size tag on their stupid dress. Proportion is what makes the look. Anyone can look good once they understand this.

That's very true. I think the stereo type the media is pushing is the anorexic look or the photo shopped look that is unattainable in other words the barbie look. Skinny long legs a bust that could suffocate some one and hips that could birth an elephant in comparison to the tiny waist. Look at celebrities or models on the run way, most of them, key word being most, look as though they have an eating disorder. Many young girls see this and go I should do this and become skinny too. Our female role models are twigs so of course naturally big boned young girls are going to think they are fat and starve them selves until they are stick thin.

You and I must not be in the same circles. Generally in fashion the hips are photoshopped to appear smaller. Wide hips are not prized in fashion models.
beverlyhillsbranche.blogspot.com...
Note the top heavy look. This is the norm in fashion. This is why you don't see curvy models. It has never been in fashion among couture houses-ever. Not even in the 50's. The beginning of modern couture (with Coco Chanel and Dior) saw the entrance of slim hips as fashionable. I will not speak for men's magazines as those photographs are generally og glamor models. I have worked with some of them, but it is more for sexual purposes than those of fashion. I would expect the Jessica Rabbit look to be widespread among these publications.
While I understand your sentiments I think it's wrong to bash skinny women in an attempt to make one feel better. It is discourteous.

Finally, while it is said wide-hipped women give birth easier this is not true. Fat depositing has to do with DNA/bone structure. External measurements have nothing to do with internal point measurements. Therefore a woman can have wide hips and a slim birth canal. Even slim hipped women can have a birth canal sufficient enough to pass a child. C-sections are done because a child is in transverse lie (horizontally and trying to deliver from this position) or there is a medical problem which constitutes the need for immediate delivery. It has nothing to do with a woman's hip size.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by antonia]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I guess your right about the models but from the kardashians, and such they play up the larger hips and butt and skinny waist. I think though the tinier proportions with the top heavy look is more dominate Especially with the example you showed. Its unfair to women.

As for the proportions very true. The taller you are the larger your frame is. I wish people would go back to the Marylin Monroe look. Its classic and its how women should look.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara
reply to post by antonia

I guess your right about the models but from the kardashians, and such they play up the larger hips and butt and skinny waist. I think though the tinier proportions with the top heavy look is more dominate Especially with the example you showed. Its unfair to women.

The Kardashians have nothing to do with fashion. The only one with the classic curvy figure is Kim, the others have straight figures. Fine looking women to be sure though.

As for the proportions very true. The taller you are the larger your frame is. I wish people would go back to the Marylin Monroe look. Its classic and its how women should look.

I don't think we need to go back to anything. I think women need to accept there is beauty in all shapes and quit lording over one another. Those who starve themselves do so out of ignorance and shame. They deserve our sympathy.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by antonia]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Such a classy post man. My gf is definately like that youtube video only white. I tell her all the time there is nohing wrong with you. She's 5'9 and i'm 6'1 only i weigh 155 which as someone mentioned above is BELOW my healthy functioning level. I'm suppose to be almost 200lbs at 6'1. Anyways, basically what I'm sayin is weigth fluctuates as you grow up and as long as your active, eat smart, and feel healthy your weigth will be at it's healthiest. Which is something I'm getting better at as I get older.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I was just saying in gerneral they are role models (not good ones) that girls look at, I don't watch it I've get heard her referenced in regards to my friends butt, " its larger than Jlo's and Kim Kardashian's combined"

Very true, I love the dove commercials for pushing that movement, very few companies seem to do that. Love yourself for who you are. Its a brilliant movement that no one is capitalizing on. So many clothing lines could make a fortune catering to all shapes and sizes instead they choose the skinny movement oh well... I have hope.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I agree that the media hypes up anorexic, impossibly skinny women, and that it sets a bad precedent.

But what I've seen a lot on this thread is "They don't have the right idea about how women should look, I do, it is [insert poster ideal here]."

I guess this bothers me. I don't think women should look any certain way. I think people should treat their bodies with respect, and that if they treat their bodies with respect and live a healthy lifestyle, then I respect whatever their body is. I would think a woman who is large but who bikes and hikes all the time and eats good food would be just as attractive as a super skinny chick who also bikes and hikes all the time and eats good food, because they are both treating their bodies with respect. Those models, they DON'T treat their bodies with respect. I think everyone should just be who they are, not who anyone else wants them to be, whether it is TPTB that want them to be a certain way or if it's some random person on ATS who wants them to be a certain way.

I also agree that intelligence is based more in environment and predetermined genetics, NOT the size of your waist.

Lastly, I want to say I am glad that we are able to have a civil discussion about women's bodies and that we are all accepting that women don't need to be rail thin to be attractive. As seen from everyone's answers, everyone has a different idea of what they find beautiful - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and society has tried to make beauty be from THEIR eyes and not ours. We should trust what we believe to be beautiful and go with that, not trust what other people perceive as beautiful and make that our idea of beautiful.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I don't like skinny girls, they're straight ugly. For real when a woman is all skin and bones it is a serious turn off. It makes them look sick or diseased and just plain unhealthy. I'm with you on the fat bottom girls.
That is how a real woman is sposed da look, with a nice round jiggly, yet firm... mmmm

*drool*

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
That the shape of one's buttocks would contribute to determining intelligence really boggles the mind, yes?

And breast size determines creativity, and eye color determines compassion.

Nonsense.

Peace Out.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Take a variety of vitamins: Multivitamin, calcium, iron, vitamin E, fish oil,
etc. all week. Just eat a variety of fresh fruits, vegtables, meats, and dairy products. The skinny girls don't have the feet and knee joint pain issues, or the backaches from large breasts. Thin people live longer with fewer health problems. Stay away from sugar soft drinks period. Coke is bad...
Exercise... even if it's lots of walking. This is what all of us gals over forty are doing after having two to three kids. Losing weight is really, really, difficult.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Take a variety of vitamins: Multivitamin, calcium, iron, vitamin E, fish oil,
etc. all week. Just eat a variety of fresh fruits, vegtables, meats, and dairy products. The skinny girls don't have the feet and knee joint pain issues, or the backaches from large breasts. Thin people live longer with fewer health problems. Stay away from sugar soft drinks period. Coke is bad...
Exercise... even if it's lots of walking. This is what all of us gals over forty are doing after having two to three kids. Losing weight is really, really, difficult.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join