It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oval Office rug gets history wrong

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
King, rightly, attributes the quote to Parker

He did not! King used this quote in many of his speeches over the years and didn't attribute it to anyone! That's nonsense!

MLK Speech

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

You can't even bring yourself to say it, can you? The "rug" didn't do anything. Whoever provided the quote to the manufacturer did. According to the article, that would be Obama.

Yeah, you caught me. I cannot bear to say it. Whatever that means, sure.
OK, OBAMA did not paraphrase anyone. King did. Feel better?

King, rightly, attributes the quote to Parker, as should Obam. Paraphrased or not, it is Parker's quote, apparently. Just because it is third hand, oe not negate the rule. Sorry to disappoint.

Show me what rule you are talking about because it is not the one you already posted. The rugMAKER quoted King and thus put King's name to the quote. If you want to discuss whether or not King paraphrased correctly, I am all in support of you starting that thread.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by cindyremains

Well, sarcasm being the lowest form of wit, it should apply evenly on it's skin.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

King, rightly, attributes the quote to Parker

He did not! King used this quote in many of his speeches over the years and didn't attribute it to anyone! That's nonsense!

MLK Speech

I'll admit my error, based on a quick search of King's speeches (those limited ones on the mlkonline website anyway) revealing no mention of Parker.

I based my assumption on this line from the OP's source:

King made no secret of the author of this idea. As a Baptist preacher on the front lines of racial justice, he regarded Parker, a religious leader, as a kindred spirit.

which clearly indicates King having given credit to Parker. And, though having listened to some of King's speeches, I have not committed them to memory.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by WTFover]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
reply to post by cindyremains

Well, sarcasm being the lowest form of wit, it should apply evenly on it's skin.

Obviously you are looking for facebook. I would post a link but if you cannot find it yourself, you do not deserve to get back on. One line off topic updates about your opinion of things is not exactly what ATS is all about, is it? Lobster is peasant food. I can do it to. It has nothing to do with the topic though, does it.

If you have something to say, please say it. If you want to update your status, try not replying to me for your excuse.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by rogerstigers

The quote is not King's. Its that simple. Were you to attempt to attribute a similar play on another's words as yours you would be considered to have stolen it.

Clearly King did not do that in that he often attributed the quote properly. The boneheads in the White House made a mistake - its that simple

Nothing like this is done by mistake. Rewriting history is a part of any totalitarian regime's goals.

[edit on 9/4/10 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

Well then wake up and smell the coffee!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join