It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oval Office rug gets history wrong

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
They attempt to be inspirational, but are so lacking in genuine leadership and inspiration that they fail miserably.

What? The quote is real. It's MLK. Why do you say the above?

It doesn't matter to the OP or anyone else who see's this as an "issue" BH. This is how it works in their minds. They decide they "dislike" someone and because of that their bias gets the better of them. Even to the point of arguing about the origin of quote on the President's rug......

on the rampant ignorance

Seriously though....If President Obama begins to "publicly" show that he eats "Cracker Jacks" would you then say "Obama is a rascist... because the food he eats has the word "cracker" in it..."

Seriously...this is getting VERY old....Quit with the partisan-attacks that are 1) not an issue and 2) baseless and completely IDIOTIC.

THE COUNTRY ELECTED THIS MAN.....DEAL WITH!

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by rogerstigers

The quote is not King's. Its that simple. Were you to attempt to attribute a similar play on another's words as yours you would be considered to have stolen it.

Clearly King did not do that in that he often attributed the quote properly. The boneheads in the White House made a mistake - its that simple

Nothing like this is done by mistake. Rewriting history is a part of any totalitarian regime's goals.

[edit on 9/4/10 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You got me there, my friend.

I writing a book. I think I'll start it with "It was the worst of times, it was the best of times". I'm going to call it "A tale of three cities" Old Charlie's been dead for a while now - he won't mind

And when someone quotes "It was the worst of times, it was the best of times" who would they credit with that?

When they refer to the book titled "A Tale of Three Cities" who will they say wrote it?

Do you honestly think anyone would care if you did?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9197e583d331.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Hey, I heard Obama doesn't eat ribeye steaks either. He's a terrible leader!

Obviously anyone that supported or supports him just did not really care about what it takes to be president. He refuses to re-prove he is not Kenyan. He does not go to the right Christian churches in front of cameras often enough. He uses teleprompters. How can people defend this man. At least when the last guy was in charge, we got attacked, started some wars, imploded the economy, etc. We didn't have time to worry about such petty issues so I say Palin/Bachman 2012 all the way! Then we can get back to discussing real issues.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by cindyremains]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

That's.....that's un-Mericun!

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindyremains
He refuses to re-prove he is not Kenyan.

You want to turn this into another birther thread?

Thing is, he doesn't have to prove he's NOT anything. The one making the claim holds the burden of proof.

He does not go to the right Christian churches in front of cameras often enough.

What??? You're cracking me up here!

He uses teleprompters.

What???

I say Palin/Bachman 2012 all the way!

Oh, Ok... *BH slowly backs away from the computer.*

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Obviously anyone that supported or supports him just did not really care about what it takes to be president. He refuses to re-prove he is not Kenyan. He does not go to the right Christian churches in front of cameras often enough. He uses teleprompters. How can people defend this man. At least when the last guy was in charge, we got attacked, started some wars, imploded the economy, etc. We didn't have time to worry about such petty issues so I say Palin/Bachman 2012 all the way! Then we can get back to discussing real issues.

Discussing Real Issues? You mean like the "Million participants" who were at Beck's rally? (Bachmann's quote) or perhaps the finer points of quitting a job half-way through like Mrs. Palin? Heh....

Palin/Bachmann all the way!

(losing ticket right there)

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I got a sense of sarcasm from that poster...But perhaps I was mistaken?
Can never tell with right-wingers...they can "think" the darnedest things

But yes...I think it's sarcasm

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ElijahWan

I think you're right. Sorry about that cindy! After some of the stuff I've read here, I thought you were serious!

*embarrassed*

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Reply to ElijahWan
Sorry, I see you did get it. Thanks for seeing my post for what it was.

To BH, I understand that this is ATS and I guess it might not be that odd to see somone post what I did and mean it. I was being sarcastic.

The point is that for 8 years we had nothing but legitimate complaints. We got attacked. The economy imploded. We invaded countries based on lies. I can get more specific with Katrina, etc. These things were all BAD THINGS. I mean these were actual legitimate bad things. Now, two years into Obama's presidency the same people that supported that president already want those days back because of such dire issues as
-this birther nonsense
-teleprompter usage
-being photographed at church
-a quote on a rug

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

For those who think this is a small thing

How about those of us who think King actually said it and have proof to back it up?

King was paraphrasing the quote when he said it, but it's still accurate to quote king.

Do you people ever look this crap up before your overlords tell you to go post it?

[edit on 4-9-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Yup, the same way the quote above is mine, not Abe's.

Exactly - and if we ever wanted to quote YOU, we'd write in what you wrote.

If we wanted to quote Abe, we'd write what he wrote.

Seriously..I know you see it this way but are too hard headed to fess up.

I accept your apology.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
So can we all agree that quoting someone's paraphrased quote of another on a rug is not an impeachable offense?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
So can we all agree that quoting someone's paraphrased quote of another on a rug is not an impeachable offense?

LOL, nor is diddling your secretary. But silly things like that never make a difference in politics.

Regardless, you are right...this is another instance of the MSM getting it wrong just to stir the pot.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Is the quote attributed to MLK on the carpet? Does it list MLK as the author of the quotation or is it simply thought the President believes this? Or, with all due respect to Theodore Parker, is this much ado about nothing?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Rules on paraphrasing quotes

•Cite the author, the source, and the date given in the text to credit the owner of the quotation. Remember: Though the words of the paraphrase are your own, the thought behind it isn't. To not mention the author's name is plagiarism.
quotations.about.com...

This is the closest rule I could find quickly.

So, is the quote erroneously attributed to Dr. King? Absolutely. Do I care? Absolutely not. Will the rug probably be removed in January 2012? I certainly hope so!

But, you know those who so quickly jump to the defense of Obama, no matter the accusation (BH) are being as ridiculous as those who want to condemn him for things that don't matter. He really is just a man, capable of making mistakes and being wrong.

I'm really surprised someone hasn't accused the OP of being racist, because he just doesn't want a quote from a black man, on a rug in the Whitehouse!

ETA source

[edit on 5-9-2010 by WTFover]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

King did the paraphrasing, not the rug.

Read the rule again.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
But, you know those who so quickly jump to the defense of Obama, no matter the accusation (BH)...

I have made accusations against Obama myself. I don't defend him "no matter the accusation". This one is just so stupid. KING paraphrased the quote. Not Obama. Obama rightly quoted King.

THIS accusation that Obama somehow did something unsavory on the White House rug is ridiculous and yes, I'm going to defend him against lies. That's just the kind of person I am.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

reply to post by WTFover

King did the paraphrasing, not the rug.

Read the rule again.

You can't even bring yourself to say it, can you? The "rug" didn't do anything. Whoever provided the quote to the manufacturer did. According to the article, that would be Obama.

King, rightly, attributes the quote to Parker, as should Obam. Paraphrased or not, it is Parker's quote, apparently. Just because it is third hand, oe not negate the rule. Sorry to disappoint.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I can't believe that we are allowing the POTUS to spend thousands of tax-payer dollars on a rug in the first place. As American children will go to sleep tonight in a tent somewhere without dinner, our dear beloved government sees it fit to throw money away on something as idiotic as a rug.

Message to Obama: We can't afford the luxuries that your accustomed to. We have children starving to death and families losing both their jobs and their homes. Your not a King, rather you are a public servent.

--airspoon

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join