It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto Uprooted : Germany Bans Cultivation of GM Corn

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Monsanto Uprooted : Germany Bans Cultivation of GM Corn

Germany has banned the cultivation of GM corn, claiming that MON 810 is dangerous for the environment. But that argument might not stand up in court and Berlin could face fines totalling millions of euros if American multinational Monsanto decides to challenge the prohibition on its seed.

The sowing season may be just around the corner, but this year German farmers will not be planting gentically modified crops: German Agriculture Minister Ilse Aigner announced Tuesday she was banning the cultivation of GM corn in Germany

breakthematrix.com...

comments:
Good!!! Maybe more nations will follow.
The evil GMO conspiracy by Monsanto
is out of the bag. And here comes the
results. And the winner is .......

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Quoted from the OP Source - "But that argument might not stand up in court and Berlin could face fines totalling millions of euros if American multinational Monsanto decides to challenge the prohibition on its seed."

It's about bloody time! What I don't quite understand is why Germany or any country, would be liable for fines for not using a dangerous "corporate" product? If this is the case and they can be fined, then it is more than obvious that the governments, which are supposed to be autonomous and self-directing, are simply corporate tools. But we knew that already, it's just a rather blatant slap in the face.

I wonder if Monsanto's CEO and executives eat the #e that they sell? I somehow doubt it, since sterility, genetic mutation and early death due to autoimmune disease are only on the table for us peons.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle
What I don't quite understand is why Germany or any country, would be liable for fines for not using a dangerous "corporate" product?

kinda sounds like Obamacare
does it not? Where we have
to purchase a product or get
fined or imprisoned.
very sad indeed.

edit to take out the extra "get"

[edit on 4-9-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Wow! About time... I still don't understand how anyone thinking clearly would see the benefits of having one corp. Controlling virtually all the staple crops in the world. They will fight it and I agree with the previous post- if Germany gets fined for banning the product then truly there is no representation for the people. Just protection for corporations. GO GERMANY!

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
[color=#33FF33]GO GERMANY!!!
[color=#FF6600]
God please let there be enough good people in Germany to take Monsanto down. This could not happen in America where too many PROFESSIONAL POLITICIANS have their sucking lips glued to the rectums of corporate America.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
God please let there be enough good people in Germany to take Monsanto down.

I think it would take more than just one country
to take Monsanto down. Plus this ban does NOT
include other GMO seeds, just corn.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Good for Germany, I am truly proud, however this will not hurt Monsanto, at all. I don't think Germany is a large producer of corn in the first place, relatively speaking. This will hardly even put a dent in Monsanto, especially when they can just tighten the ropes here in the US.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Germany hold much power within the EU...if they do this and win then that will set a precedent within the EU community and hopefully others will join which would seriously hurt monsanto. To be clear i don't actually think GM veg/fruit is bad for you, it is the destruction it causes to the environment that worries me...especially the 'super' crop seeds that need Monsanto pesticides to grow, which in turn ruins the soil so that ONLY Monsanto GM crops will grow in it.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Take a look at this thread discussing GM and Monsanto:
The African GM Food Conspiracy

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
What I don't quite understand is why Germany or any country, would be liable for fines for not using a dangerous "corporate" product?
kinda sounds like Obamacare
does it not? Where we have
to purchase a product or get
fined or imprisoned.
very sad indeed.

In a way, I suppose. They are both similar in that they are both draconian measures that are designed to inflict as much physical damage to the general population (a term used in prisons) as possible while sucking an ever increasing amount of income from tax payers pockets.

Personally, I think it is time to remove these political @ssclowns from office and enforce the monopolies and combines acts. Unfortunately, democracy is not working and will end in fascism. It is a real shame that we are not quite to the point where enough people are aware of what is going on. When people talk to me about these kinds of subjects in the "real" world, they are generally where I was in 1978, they have a lot of catch-up to do, but I am finding a 20-25% level are quite aware and seriously pissed-off with the government, corporations and banksters.

This could go the way of the French Revolution and I have no problem with the visual impact or the smell of the aforementioned criminals getting exactly what they deserve. Even if it is a long time in coming, it may be well worth the wait ;-) But like any invasive disease, one has to remove all the infected organisms, ALL OF THEM.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Do you realize how many people love Monsanto?

They award scholarships and have mentors that seek out the brightest students.
They build wings at colleges and universities.
They fund community projects and fund raising for charities.
They have a lot of iron clad supporters.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
It's a start. First the GM sugar beet decision, now this. I didn't believe in true evil until I researched more on Monsanto. Definitely time for some monopoly busting to come around.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
... think it would take more than just one country
to take Monsanto down. Plus this ban does NOT
include other GMO seeds, just corn.

Following the links to the full story at:
spiegel.online full sourced article

MON 810 was approved for cultivation in Europe by the European Union in 1998 and is currently the only GM crop which can be grown in Germany. The plant produces a toxin to fight off a certain pest, the voracious larvae of the corn borer moth. The crop was due to be planted this year on a total area of around 3,600 hectares (8,896 acres) in Germany. The cultivation of MON 810 is already banned in five other EU member states, namely Austria, Hungary, Greece, France and Luxembourg.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg
It's a start. First the GM sugar beet decision, now this. I didn't believe in true evil until I researched more on Monsanto. Definitely time for some monopoly busting to come around.

Then this might help you in your opinion on Monsanto
. I saw this last night and was completely turned off.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

What the hell are you talking about?

Regardless, Germany has done the right thing. Monsanto can go take a flying leap off of a short cliff.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
Good for Germany, I am truly proud, however this will not hurt Monsanto, at all. I don't think Germany is a large producer of corn in the first place, relatively speaking. This will hardly even put a dent in Monsanto, especially when they can just tighten the ropes here in the US.

--airspoon

I'd like to add that there are several corrupt governments around the planet that would be glad to accomodate Monsanto regardless how dangerous their products are, if Monsanto hasn't gotten to some of those countries already.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

It's a good thing we've joined the pack of countries banning this stuff. Nevertheless, I doubt it'll do very much to curtail Monsanto. They are so big and have such spending power that they'll come up with an alternative should more countries ban it.

Germany does have a lot of pulling power in the EU and will hopefully act as another example for other countries to follow.

I would be seriously amazed if the US would ban this stuff, but Monsanto is too deeply entrenched over there.

Besides, we live in a climate where the seeds of profitmongery, greed and recklessness thrive. Should Monsanto really be screwed down the line, anoher villain will pop up.

We need to hope for a change in weather

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Err yeah sorry did i miss something here? Since when does a private company have the right to sue a country because they ban a product? If Monsanto can do that then expect a massive slew of court cases from drug companies trying to overturn the bans on their products.

I'm not anti GM because quite simply GM exists in most crops and is perfectly harmless, however i don't like companies throwing their weight around.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

Mountain Meg: A good start to learning about Monsanto is to download the Documentary:
The World According to Monsanto [from Top Documentary Films]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Germany should contract Israel to assassinate the board of directors at Monsanto. Its pretty extreme i suppose, but corporations really need to know there place with regards to a nations sovereignty. And as evil as i believe Israel to be, there pretty much the only nation with the balls to not realy care about those sort of consequences.

But then America probably wouldnt appreciate most of the FDA and EPA and no doubt a large number of supreme court big wigs getting whackd. What can you do eh.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Johnze]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join