It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Do not Believe. Do not Follow. Do not Consume. Do not Watch.

page: 1
6

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Since for some reason I've gone half-retarded and can't link youtube videos anymore, I'll just drop the entire link to this.

www.youtube.com...

This is an 8 minute video from a lecture given by Terence McKenna on what he thinks our world and society is going towards and how we can fix it.

Through dogma, lemming-ness, over consumption and under production we've completely torn apart every great aspect of what makes us human. The ability to generate free thought is prohibited by dogma. The right to freedom is prohibited by sheepishness in the masses. Our identity has been cast to the way side as we buy more crap we don't want, need or like and our individual creativity is hampered by the idea that there is nothing more to create and do.

I'm pretty sure that paragraph paints a good picture on what is wrong with us as a species and society currently. But as McKenna says in this lecture, we're not hopeless yet. But we may be soon. Which is why we really need to shape up.




posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Good vid--thanks for the link. He's on to something in my opinion, but I have my doubts that the masses will be willing or able to break through the matrix of propaganda to free their minds and make a real departure from consumerism. We may have to wait for the dollar to collapse so it will be thrust upon us. It looks like this will happen very soon anyway, so the faster people stop worshiping the collection of objects, the easier it will be for them when objects are not as easily obtained.



posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The truth is more obvious than anything you have ever heard of.

Reality may just be the complete opposite of what we decide and instinctively see.

Some may question weather humanity is furthering away from nature. Natural occurrence. But only to be surprised when they step out of the individual perspective, and see the natural course has and always will remain.

To bluntly award ourselves with nature defying logic is primitive.



posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC
 


And there's another guy preaching a dogma.

"Do not believe. Do not follow. Do not consume. Do not watch" -- well, don't listen him either but do your own decisions, damn it.

-v



posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
reply to post by SpectreDC
 


And there's another guy preaching a dogma.

"Do not believe. Do not follow. Do not consume. Do not watch" -- well, don't listen him either but do your own decisions, damn it.

-v


Can you bring up the part where he said you need to follow this and that all other ideas are wrong?

No?

Huh...for something your claiming was dogmatic....well, it isn't dogmatic...at all in fact.

He's offering an idea; that's it. If you have a problem with the title of the thread, well I'm sorry you believe the relevant topics discussed being used as a title bothers you so much.



posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC
 



Originally posted by SpectreDC
Huh...for something your claiming was dogmatic....well, it isn't dogmatic...at all in fact.




Dogma is the established belief or doctrine [...]
Dogma

All this guy is saying is nothing new. It has been said before by various of "teachers", hecne it is an dogma. It is an established idea how (some people think that) people should act/behave.


Originally posted by SpectreDC
Can you bring up the part where he said you need to follow this and that all other ideas are wrong?


It is all there implicitly if not even explicitly. "Do not do this, do not do that" says it all. Anyway, who is he to tell other people what to do?

And, would his ideas be carried to it's logical conclusion, there wouldn't be socities, no technology and all this fancy pollution which causes cancer



Originally posted by SpectreDC
If you have a problem with the title of the thread, well I'm sorry you believe the relevant topics discussed being used as a title bothers you so much.


May I ask you why you posted this clip? "To spread information you believe in?" You - and him - think that this would be correct approach to life, not believing, not following, not this and not that. Can't you see the error of your way? You are even doing the opposite what this guy tells...

So what if people are inherently born as herd animals, as social beings? What if this lemming-like activity is natural behaviour for us? But now I am going too far and perhaps violating my own dogma...

My intention was not to offend, but to point few directions. For now, I have nothing more to write. See you around.

-v

[edit on 5-9-2010 by v01i0]



posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0
 



Originally posted by v01i0


Dogma is the established belief or doctrine [...]
Dogma

All this guy is saying is nothing new. It has been said before by various of "teachers", hecne it is an dogma. It is an established idea how (some people think that) people should act/behave.


v01i0 - I'm surprised that you got away with this back in September but your partial definition of Dogma doesn't cut it. Take a look at the complete definition at least as held in Wiki.


Dogma - Wikipedia
Dogma is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, ideology or any kind of organization: it is authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted, or diverged from, by the practioner or believers.


All established beliefs or doctrines are not dogmas. According to the complete definition, they only qualify as a dogma if held by a group or organisation and are not open to question.

Hopefully, you're not this lax with definitions in general otherwise your posts will be a trail (and a trial) of verbal mayhem!



posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
here is your video





posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Nice timing with this video. Seen lots of McKeanna lots of times but this was the right time for me to see this. Everything has its time and place.

I feel if a person could take this to the extreme which is certainly something I believe is worth considering the outcome could be very interesting. Maybe you would just dissolve.

Maybe you could just transform into Omnium.



posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull
 



Originally posted by JohnySeagull
Nice timing with this video. Seen lots of McKeanna lots of times but this was the right time for me to see this. Everything has its time and place.

I feel if a person could take this to the extreme which is certainly something I believe is worth considering the outcome could be very interesting. Maybe you would just dissolve.

Maybe you could just transform into Omnium.


I'd never heard of McKenna before but will follow up his work. These are very wise words and I recognised them as "truth" even if I didn't really want to.

He's very down on a long string of ideologies -

adayinthelife: 5 negative commandments
You want to escape fascism, communism, socialism, existentialism, positivism, all of this stuff.

- but leaves out the biggest killer of all - capitalism. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though and just imagine that it was included in the "all of this stuff" catch-all.



new topics

top topics



 
6

log in

join