It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enjoying those hamburgers on the grill this Labor Day Weekend?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Hmm, then so why isn't there Waco day? Or Kent State day? Just curious...

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Yep, I was expecting a PETA or Animal Liberation Front piece.

Have a great Holiday all.

Not so much PETA or ALF...just logic and common sense. Have a good one!

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2010/9/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Hmm, then so why isn't there Waco day? Or Kent State day? Just curious...

There are. You are able to create any "holiday" you want.

Just because it's not mainstream, doesn't mean you can't celebrate it.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Excellent post........one of those, "I wonder what the origin of _________ is".

There's a TV show in that concept just waiting to happen.

Too funny that the Govt. creates Labor day after killing workers on strike. Such a typical thing for them to do.

That's like Sarah Palin starting a 'Moose Day' after she got back from shooting them out of her helicopter.

It's just a MASSIVE slap in the face to workers.

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2010/9/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Dear Sir or Madame....

Very good thread, and I appreciate the refresher on Labor and Labor day.

However, I take issue with the idea that their are low paid low end workers being taken advantage of by making them work Labor Day, while the rest of the country sits by the ocean or the grill.

If everyone was off, who would sell you gas to get back home from the beach? Or clean your hotel room while you are out? Or sell you the buns you forget to buy last Friday, so you can complete your cookout?

Everyone is off except the necessary services...Fire, Police, Medical....waitresses, convenience store atendants, grocery store staff, the guy on the corner selling late season watermelons, construction and landscape workers that are making up time because of rain, etc.

Those that are in these posotions...myself included... are there by mutual agreement. We know the deal when we sign on. In the retail and service industries...we usually work 7 days a week...even holidays. we do this because this is when we make the money and the sales.

How about farmers... it's labor Day weekend...but they are busy taking advantage of the weather here in NC...cutting hay, pulling tobbacco, still gotta feed those cows and pigs and horses and goats and chickens.

My point is this... people that don't like the position they are in...then do something about it. If you can't now....then try to do the best you can and improve later. Many, like myself go into it knowing there is an opportunity here...

Labor day...many Mom+Pop stores are closed...so my store is open to sell gates and fencing and feed and animal medicines. Others see all those tourists at the beaches and lakes...they see money...blood worms, fishing line, gas, beer, cigarettes, steaks, charcoal, beach towels and bumper stickers...

But what about the poor schlump that is at the bottom... I can't think of a better motivator to move up, increase knowledge and skills, or open a business theirself.

Many of us laugh about Labor Day...because it is just that..Labor day. And we gladly accept it, next week when you poor schlumps are working...I'll be sitting on the less crowded beach, paying after season rates, and having my fun in the sun.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
It is a worthwhile exercise to dwell in the mind of a mad man: Slavoj Žižek

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
[

When we think of Labor Day what do we think of?

The unofficial end of summer
Hot dogs and hamburgers
Day off of work

to myself its also the fortnight long weekend that begins football season

the hot dog & burger tradition reminds me that we are celebrating the lowly worker class who do not normally partake in pheasant-under-glass & caviar.

our loose knit extended family will consume salmon patties or chicken breasts stewed in Salsa... washed down with sparkling grape drink

viva 'Labor Day' that has been hijacked from its original diversion into a high-class bread & circus ritual

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Great thread OP, good to know about these things, even though I'm a Kiwi I found that very interesting, lied to again...actually that makes me wonder about the meaning of NZ's Labor Day

Have to look into that?

REPLY TO - AlreadyGone - you had me snorting beer, good onya mate...

It is very interesting to look into some of the origins and meanings behind these "established" holidays, not sure if you've heard this before...

Let me ask you some questions first,

Why does Santa Claus wear a red and white costume?
Why does Santa Claus have little dwarf/Gnome like helpers?
Why does he Climb down a chimney?
Why does he travel in a sled pulled by Reindeer?
Why do we hang decorations in a pine tree at Christmas time?
Why do we hang socks in front of the fire at night, at Christmas time?

Now llet me tell you a story to help shed some light on the answers...

The pine tree is a very common tree in the mountainess villages and wilderness areas of siberia.
A convenient mode of travel between these mountainess villages is a sled, pulled by reindeer.
These villages have truncated roofs on their houses, meaning their houses have a large pyrimid shaped roof with the top cut off, this acts as an outlet for the smoke from their fires and also as an entrance, in that they climb in and out of their houses through the hole in the roof - the chimney. This is because in winter they can't use the front door as theres 13 feet of snow on top of it...it's cold in Siberia.
As in many native and isolated villages or "tribes" they have someone who is the "medicine man" or "wise one" and what's often refered to as a Shaman, of whoms job it was/is to see things others can't and venture into other worlds/dimensions to seek answers from the gods, spirits, angels, pick your word, using a plant medicine.
Now in these mountainess villages, it s the shamans job, once a year, at a certain time of year, to jump on his sled and head out into the wilderness, being pulled by the reindeer to search amongst the pine trees for a special type of mushroom, called the Amanita muscaria, which just happens to be red and white, having small white dots all over the top of it's umbrella. While the shaman is collecting these mushrooms he hangs them in the pine trees to dry while he continues to pick more mushrooms.
Once he has filled up a couple of sacks of mushrooms and taken the dried mushrooms from the pine trees, he heads home.
When he gets home he lights the fire and hangs all the mushrooms that didn't dry during the day in "socks" in front of the fire to dry overnight.
Then early the next morning he travels to all the peoples houses climbing down their chimneys delivering his presents in the form of dried, ready to eat Amanita muscaria mushrooms, leaving various amounts according to the number of people in the household.
When his sacks are all empty, he heads back home to have his own christmas treat.

Incidently, people often see little people, dwarfs/lepracorns (is that the right spelling?) fairys or Gnomes while under the influence of this entheogin.
And we often see little Gnomes and fairys associated with/or in pictures with the little red and white mushroom?

Hope you enjoyed the story and have answers to some of the rituals, customs etc, associated with Christmas.

Of coarse, Xmas is a cake recipe of borrowed ideas, not to mention the Santa - Satan thing...Oh too late I did

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Mythkiller]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
reply to post by Ahabstar

Thanks for this history lesson! I never really considered the origins of this holiday. I just always considered it sort of strange that on a day when laborers' efforts were celebrated, me and many other workers were excluded. And that's why, on Labor Day, I don't shop, I gon't go buy a bag of ice to chill our drinks, Or stop at a gas station to put fuel in the tank of my Jeep. I plan ahead. And I always hope, that eventually, others will do what I do, plan ahead, and maybe stores and restaurants will eventually close their doors on Labor Day, so almost everyone can take a special day off from their labors, and just enjoy a day with family and friends.

I agree with this sentiment. Guess I never really thought to actually "boycott" capitalism for a day though. Thanks for the idea, I will now! In fact, we have everything we need for our get-together tomorrow except for the corn on the cob. However, that is going to be bought tomorrow from a local Amish road side stand. The Amish do not participate in anything the rest of us do and they will be out there tomorrow (as oppossed to today, Sunday) to make money and I will hungrily oblige them lol!

Ironically, I myself worked for many years in various jobs where Labor Day was just another day. My husband still does and the get-together will not start untill 3pm because we will be waiting for him to get home from work.

Side note: Hubby works in the Housekeeping department of a department store at the mall! Real labor being overlooked in the interest of capitalistic greed!

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Great topic!

I thought I'd throw in some info about the "Haymarket Anarchists" (Chicago, USA) since I live right down street from the monument to them.

(I was reminded of this driving home from the grocery store as there as a van stopped on the street in front of the adjacent Jewish cemeteries - which I nearly rear ended!)

Let's remember too - to be careful driving on the holidays. Please do not drink and drive.
(Nor park in the middle of the street!)

Haymarket Affair

Another good read about worker strife is "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair.
Many of us had to read this book in school, but others might not be familiar with it.

"May Day" is still very big here also. Always a big gathering downtown.

S&F for this great thread to remind us of what our ancestors went through.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Great info on the holiday OP. I want to thank all who have to work tomorrow - hope you get a day off soon to make up for it. Lol, I thought this thread was going to put down hamburgers - don't need that guilt right now - its time to grill. Happy Labor Day US!

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I have nothing really to add, just LOVED the OP and now off to read the responses!

Excellent thread.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Whiffer Nippets

I am glad you brought up the Haymarket Affair. I had considered including it to further add to the background information, but thought it best to save that as a follow up post. So in sense you have saved me from having to go into it and how it is also related.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
in canuckistan, labour day only applies to banks and politicians. pretty much every one else has to work to pay of the bi-yearly tax increases.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join