It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is physicist Stephen Hawking right that physics, not God, created the universe?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

At which point Mr Hawkins' theory that a random collaboration of 'nothingness' conspired to create something appears correct. So if I were to put my theistic and philosophical hat on, I would suggest that God is 'nothingness' - God is 'Entropy'.

Perhaps this is the unifying link between religious theory and science? Which is kind of what Mr Hawking is getting at, but most religious interpreters are too stupid or incapable of understanding this - and MUST intepret this idea with MYSTICISM. Sad really.

Anyhow, folks - please try and keep to the topic at hand, the Guardian poll results.

Parallex.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by Parallex]

[edit on 4-9-2010 by Parallex]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

Not trying to bash your thread or anything, but maybe you should change the title of the thread if you want people to talk about the Poll rather than Hawkings comments. May help things stay on topic.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mc1km
Who created physics?

Bingo.

2nd line.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Who created physics?

Bingo.

2nd line.

Maybe it was a "god" , but who created the "god'? see where this goes?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

How does a computer boot? When you press the boot button, or use your remote, or automate it to start automatically, what happens? Everything is setup for you automatically so that you may do what you wish to do on it. That is why you see that loading screen loooooooooool..

Hawkings is not a genius if he doesn't have the ability to compare..

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
I must disagree with your point about the UK being a 'Christian' country. A democracy is defined by it's majority. We may have a Christian monarchy, and Christian-impeded government and judiciary, but that does not mean the country is Christian. That's what is known as propaganda from a powerful and dangerous Church.

In this democracy, we continually elect candidates and governments that vociferously uphold the monarchy, and consequently uphold the official status of the UK as a Christian country.

If people are unhappy at the direct link between church and state, then they'd vote for candidates who express a secularist/republican ideology.

However, candidates that support this way of thinking are practically non-existent.

I'm sure the majority of people in the USSR weren't actually communist supporters, but would you deny that the Soviet Union between 1917-1990 was a ''communist country'' ?

Originally posted by ParallexOur country is secular, tolerant, open-minded and free.

Our country is effectively secular, in the fact that religious institutions play little part in the running, or day-to-day life, of our country.

But, the UK is not a secular country. The separation of church and state is essential in being classed as a secular nation.

I agree that we are a very tolerant nation, renowned for ''playing with a straight bat'', but I'd dispute your claims that we are ''open-minded'' and ( particularly ) ''free''.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I think He's wrong. But that's just me.

Outside the universe, I think, is simply timelessness, or eternity. My idea is this universe is a meta universe created by God outside of time.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
At which point Mr Hawkins' theory that a random collaboration of 'nothingness' conspired to create something appears correct. So if I were to put my theistic and philosophical hat on, I would suggest that God is 'nothingness' - God is 'Entropy'.

This is the thing, though...

There's actually no evidence that ''randomness' or ''chance'' actually exist, other than the colloquial human interpretations of those words.

The idea that the universe could spring into existence by ''chance'', is just as illogical as saying that it could spring into existence by ''design''.

They are both human created words to describe something that is not humanly defined.

The concepts of ''chance'' and ''design'' have absolutely no evidence to support them.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

created by god? who created god? If we are working along the same lines, god has to have been created.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
How can there be past, present, or future if there is no such thing as time? How can something be created in infinite?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Wrong. The scientific community NAMED physics. The entity that created it was most certainly not man.

Though im sure Hawking believes in his heart that he did.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

so what was it and what created that?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by 547000

created by god? who created god? If we are working along the same lines, god has to have been created.

Only true if you think of God as a man and refuse to allow your mind to explore the unknown.

To believe in God requires faith. If you don't want to believe in God, no sweat off my back.

This is another hawking fanboy thread full of people making the wildest accusations since the days of witch hunting.

Garbage. Absolute Garbage

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

reply to post by 547000

Only true if you think of God as a man and refuse to allow your mind to explore the unknown.

To believe in God requires faith. If you don't want to believe in God, no sweat off my back.

This is another hawking fanboy thread full of people making the wildest accusations since the days of witch hunting.

Garbage. Absolute Garbage

Ahhh my favourite Troll - good to have you back!

Have a look at my avatar - above it you will see my purpose here on ATS - I am the convictor of convictions. Especially blind ones - as these are normally the worst, most bigoted and damaging views anyone can hold.

You sir, propound blind faith as if it is a good thing. You sir, propound your views as absolute truth and everyone elses as "Garbage, absolute garbage!"

Keep your evangelism to yourself, it's filthy.

I notice you didn't even once question the statistics?

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Im not arguing if Hawkings is right, but whenever people use the logic that you need to have a creator for the Universe to exist, you must also by that same logic ask who created the creator. Surely a fair assumption

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

reply to post by Snarf

Im not arguing if Hawkings is right, but whenever people use the logic that you need to have a creator for the Universe to exist, you must also by that same logic ask who created the creator. Surely a fair assumption

These 'people' refuse to answer that question - they can't so therefore they avoid it and get nasty when pressed. Also, they avoid confronting the statistics about their flawed mindset.

Standard religious fightback.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Take a look at this simpsons clip: www.youtube.com...

A loop wouldn't require a god, or put in equation:

Zero divided by itself still equals one.

[edit on 4/9/10 by Vio1ion]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well, we know the universe is not eternal, that it definitely has a beginning and so an end. But whatever caused it had to be outside of the parameter of time. I think that thing is God.

Whatever was the cause of the beginning of the universe and time exists in eternity, beyond time. So whatever the prime cause is didn't have to be created because there is no point in time it came to be. Eternity is eternity, it similarly exists in the past, present, and future all at once. One day to it can be a thousand years, or tomorrow can be yesterday. If it is not bound in the dimension time, it can see everything all at once, and if it is not bound by space, it can do anything it wants. It can know the end from the beginning with clarity, and can see all things inside the meta-universe at once.

At least that's what I think. If there was nothing, even gravity wouldn't be there to pull itself out of its own bootstrap.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vio1ion
Take a look at this simpsons clip: www.youtube.com...

A loop wouldn't require a god, or put in equation:

Zero divided by itself still equals one.

No, anything divided by zero is undefined. There can be any number of zeroes in a zero or any other number. The limit as two quantities approach zero is not necessarily zero, because one can converge faster than the other.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by 547000]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Who created physics?

Bingo.

2nd line.

Maybe it was a "god" , but who created the "god'? see where this goes?

He wouldn't be God if He was created.

He'd be part of creation like you and I.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join