It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the matter with Kansas? - Outstanding documentary!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

(I strongly recommend watching number two)

This is exactly what I have been saying. This is what I have been saying for months. I even created a thread that says virtually the same thing. I cannot stress how much I think you need to watch these clips. The first two videos are very important, especially number two, it hits the nail on the head of what many of us on ATS have been saying.

Numbers 3 and 4 are about a clip for his movie.

[edit on 9/4/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I think this is a very educational and important set of videos for people to watch.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This is a very great documentary, I am giving this thread one last bump.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Can you please give a synopsis of what its about.

People at work usually can't turn the volume on - - and my computer sound is jacked up.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I agree, please post a few paragraphs of what this is all about, because most people wont devote the time to watch it all then.

And please link to your other threads about this topic, whatever it is.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
OK I watched the trailer for the documentary, What's the Matter With Kansas, and added it to my Netflix que. It is about how Kansas went from Democratic to Republican, on the thesis it was at their detriment fiscally (and of course to the republicans gain).

The film maker then goes back several years later to see how the conversion is doing the populace.

I am eagerly awaiting this film.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

What's the Matter with Kansas?(BOOK)

According to his analysis, the political discourse of recent decades has dramatically shifted from the class animus of traditional leftism to one in which "explosive" cultural issues, such as abortion and gay marriage, are used to redirect anger towards "liberal elites."

Against this backdrop, Frank describes the rise of conservatism and the so-called far right in the social and political landscape of Kansas. He finds it difficult to understand the overwhelming support for Republican party politicians, given his belief that the economic policies of the Republican party do not benefit the majority of people in the State. He also claimed that the party fails to deliver on the "moral" issues (such as abortion and gay rights) which brought the support of cultural conservatives in the first place -- in his view deepening a cycle of frustration aimed at cultural liberalism.

Frank also claims a bitter divide between 'moderate' and 'conservative' Kansas Republicans (whom he labels "Mods" and "Cons") as an archetype for the future of politics in America, in which fiscal conservatism becomes the universal norm and political war is waged over a handful of hot-button cultural issues.

What's the Matter with Kansas?(FILM)

What's the Matter with Kansas? takes viewers to the heart of Middle America, which twice helped elect George W. Bush. The movie shows how Kansas, once home to left-wing movements like the Populist Party, became very conservative in the late 20th century.

Abortion is a particularly volatile issue in Kansas, and pro-life activists had long staged protests around Dr. George Tiller's abortion clinic, because he was one of the few doctors in the country who performed late-term abortions. The largest of these protests, the Summer of Mercy campaign in 1991, sparked a conservative takeover of the state's Republican Party.

The movie features a variety of Kansans, most of them conservative, but focuses on three main characters.

Angel Dillard is a mother of two, and a lifelong Republican activist. We first meet her at the Kansas State Fair, where she is volunteering for the Kansans For Life booth.

Brittany Barden is a tireless veteran of several rounds of Republican campaigns. Her mission is to return America to its roots as “a Christian nation.” She’s 18 years old.

Donn Teske describes himself as “a red-neck Kansas farmer.” He also says corporate greed is “not very Christian.” He fights to save his family farm and others like it.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I am so glad you liked the film. I heard the movie is not as great as the book. I went to add it to my Blockbuster qeu and it wasn't listed as a movie for Blockbuster. I am angry!

But I will be trying to find a copy of the book online somewhere.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Fear Trumps Compassion.

Like in times of crisis - - many "find religion". Its not so much about a loving god as it is Fear of God.

new topics

top topics

join