It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Bubbles Reported in the Susquehanna River

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Investigators from the Department of Environmental Protection were in Bradford County [PA], trying to find answers to the bubbles rising out of the ground along the banks of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River near Wyalusing. Neighbors are concerned it may be caused by methane gas coming from nearby natural gas drilling.
WNEP news article and broadcast news video

Chesapeake Energy has recently drilled natural gas wells near the area where the bubbling water has appeared. Residents insist there wasn't a problem until drilling began about a mile upriver and have reason to believe it's related. Three nearby drinking water wells have tested positive for methane within the last month while other nearby wells show signs of contamination which have caused homeowners to change their water filters more frequently within the past few weeks than previously.

This is related to the Marcellus Shale deposit and about 20 miles from Dimock, PA, the place that prompted Josh Fox to make his documentary Gasland which has been discussed on ATS at least a few times. Chesapeake Energy states that no fracking has begun at these sites and that their wells are several miles away from the river that's bubbling. The PA DEP is analyzing samples collected from both the river and nearby drilling sites.

Are these naturally occurring gas bubbles or are they directly related to the nearby gas extractions? What risks, if any, does this pose for the millions of people downriver who rely on this water for daily consumption? The Susquehanna River also has many agricultural uses associated with it. Lancaster County for example, which is considered to be "some of the most fertile agricultural land in the United States" is also part of the Susquehanna River watershed.

DEP Investigates Source of Bubbles in Susquehanna River

Susquehanna River Basin Facts

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I wonder as to the ramifications of this. And if it's not gas, what is causing those bubbles?

Wasn't there a similar issue within the past 3 months or so in Wyoming, or maybe Colorado, involving gas, or oil? I can't even remember, geez my memory sucks.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Is it small bubbles or large chugging turbulent bubbles.

If it is small bubbles, then it’s the normal sediments decomposing. It’s about that time of year where the sediments have heated up to about as hot as they are going to get and decomposition rates are at the top end.

We have a modest sized lake up stream a bit, that gets a lot of sediments over the winter. It is getting to the point that it has several feet (over ten feet) of sediment in it, and it’s due for a cleanout. If you look at the lake right now, there is constant bubbling all across the lake. It looks like there is thousands of little aerators running full blast under the water.

That is natural methane bubbling up from the decomposing bio mater in the sediment.

If the layer of mud close to the river bottom is impermeable, then the gas generated under the mud layer will seep out though the dry ground around the river and bubble up around the sides.

(SHTF mode)
It could also be a sign of crust fracturing/deposit disturbance that may be preceding a mega earthquake.

(/SHTF mode)

[edit on 4-9-2010 by Mr Tranny]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
This whole thing seems wrong to me. Just based on my gut instincts.

On one hand, we can't trust the DEP because they want to fine the corporation, for a payout. So they are pretty bias and I don't trust them.

On the other hand, we can't trust the corporation, because they will lie to save their money.

That's why we would have to get a neutral group that's smarter than all of these people to tell us what exactly is going on. And I would actually seek the advice of the USGS.

Having them survey the area and report, I would trust their knowledge if this were a Naturally Occurring Event, or an accident caused by poor drilling techniques on the corporation's end.

I bet they could give a more accurate guesstimate. These things are really complicated issues and need close investigation.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
A few years ago there were several farms and ranches in southwestern Colorado east of Durango . This area had Natural gas bubbling up in the stream and ponds and in their water wells . Which had never happened before some families had lived there for generations . The cause was from gas wells being drilled in the area the extraction method it appears to have caused natural gas to leak into the formations around the wells .

It was in litigation I really don't recall hearing the out come of it all . its been 10-15 years ago .

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Lostinthedarkness]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Looking at the video I'd say they're small bubbles. I question your sediment suggestion if it's dependent on depth since the initial frame of the video appears to be shallow enough to see the bottom of the river. If I'm understanding you correctly, this doesn't appear to be the cause and your latter thought is more likely. Maybe even your final thought is correct. When's the last time the east coast had a mega quake?

reply to post by muzzleflash

The article did mention that a dozen or so residents were getting their tap water privately tested although the results won't be available for about a month. Unfortunately it doesn't mention any independent studies from the river itself.

reply to post by Lostinthedarkness

If you happen to come across this information I'd be curious of the outcome and also if it has any connection to what againuntodust was referring to.

top topics

join