It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, What happens to you if/when religion is proven false?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I can't imagine how a diety might be disproven, but I can imagine the founder of a cult or sect being revealed as a fraud.
Were I in that position, I'll assume I'd still follow the leadership of my religious hierarchy.
I'd rally with the rest of the troops when a moral enemy was chosen, preferably one in a convenient neighboring state.
I'd work diligently to help shift focus from the pain of that recent revelation.
I'd probably regain some sense of moral superiority as I helped smite the wicked.
If things go as my leaders hope, we may actually survive unscathed.
We might even earn a legitimacy among other faiths that had eluded us before.
I guess I'd forget that I was ever duped.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Not if Santa was real

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Every thing I put down is the answer! that is what happens when God is proven not to have ever been, In some peoples minds he don't and this is what we have! Now do you see what happens?

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
You don't have to prove to me that religion is false. Try proving spirituality is.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Rede2go

But there's no evidence for Santa, just as there is no evidence for God. If there was evidence for God they wouldn't call believing in God a matter of Faith.

You see when we have objective evidence that something is real we can believe in it without faith (example: The Sun) but for something there is no evidence for faith is involved (example: Aliens, Santa, God).

The reason many people have started to make fun of the religious is simple, their beliefs are silly.

Let's take an example, Christianity. Most Christians believe that God sent one third of himself, which was somehow both him AND his son, to die and rise from the dead in order to forgive sins which stemmed from a woman, who had been made from a rib, eating fruit taken from a talking snake. None of that has evidence to back it up, not to mention the fact is laughably absurd.

So you're right, if Santa or God were proven real there would be no reason to make fun of them. But seeing as how we've been to the North Pole and haven't seen Santa, and scoured the Heavens and Earth for God without any luck at producing viable evidence I'd say its fairly safe to poke fun at those who cling to faith in these subjects. After all if I said there was a giant space penguin named Martin it would be impossible to disprove entirely, since space is so large but it would also be foolhardy and silly to believe in such a being without evidence.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Pascal's wager is a great answer to your question and I agree with him

"Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing."

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

When the time comes for you (the end).
My hope, someone helps you accross the sea of fire. A
love one from your family. One who knows your weakness,
and still does love you, even tho they have already pasted
on.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
You say I believe blindly, but I tell you the truth: What I witnessed and experienced I know and God knows. What I witnessed coordinated what the New Testament claims, so I believe it. I don't believe blindly but for reasons. You just don't happen to accept those reasons because you disbelieve that God could reveal Himself to whoever He wants without revealing Himself to other people, because you don't believe in Him in the first place.

[edit on 3-9-2010 by 547000]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

What about those that experience something that confirms Hinduism or Judaism or Scientology or Shamanism?

Do you reject their experiences or do you accept those belief systems as equally valid?

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Equally valid, what God decides for you is what God decides for you. For me Christianity is the path and I would be a grand fool to deny it after I got which I sought.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

when(religion is proven false)
Do you like to be given lots of love?
Do you prefer to be hated more?
The word say love is the answer, comes from
our father.
I like the love personaly, us who love our fathers
are hated. My father written you a letter please
read his love for you.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
reply to post by Discotech

My faith is not blind though. I have sought evidence for God and found it. It's not objective evidence though, so I can't prove to others what I know, and they would not believe me anyway.

Sounds like you're a schizophrenic, listening to the little voice in your head that tells you that "I'm God".

You have evidence of God? Nearly every religion on the planet has claimed to have some sort of evidence of God, but none of it has ever been proven, and never will, as the concept of god is a faith based concept based on a bedtime story, not reality.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Well that's very accepting of you... only Christianity states that the those who do not believe in Jesus will be damned for eternity does it not? Why would God lead others astray? Or is Christianity only broadly true, as in only the parts about love and the nice bits are true and all the stuff about lakes of fire is poppycock?

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 19rn50

Sea of fire...sounds warm...I reckon if I die and am met with a sea of fire, I might skip the whole boatride all together..

As far as love...what is love? Its such a completely bland word when used and abused soo much...oh, love everyone, love yourself, love God, love plants, love bugs, love nothing, and everything...

love in this context is soo spread out that it is ultimately turned into a filler word with no substance..
Ya, I love you cockroach, but still going to step on you...but hey, I love ya anyhow, whatever that means.

I see my life revolving around some things...that being:

appreciation for what is (which is actually what most say love is...but its not love, its appreciation for all things black and white)

Curiousity for what may be

Acceptance for what was and cannot be changed

Beneviolent happiness

Personal control

Friendship and love (family/lover flavor, not the meaningless love, but the personal love).

If I strive for all of these, then religion has no hold over me...I create my own religion based on these tenants of personal commandments...I feel by following that, I am more true to myself, and my soul and body line up to manifest a truth within my existance...if after its all said and done and I find myself chatting to St. Pete at the pearly gates and he asked me why I didn't follow the bible or whatnot, well, thats simple...I didn't feel like living a lie that is detatched from my personal spiritual path...if a god demands people live a lie based on fear after, then guess what...its not a good god that is running the show anyhow and I dont reckon I would want to be hanging out for an eternity with such a egotist.

it either understands the creation, or it doesn't...and a understanding God would know that its important to be true to self verses pose and unquestioningly kneel to a book of faith alone.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Originally posted by 547000
reply to post by Discotech

My faith is not blind though. I have sought evidence for God and found it. It's not objective evidence though, so I can't prove to others what I know, and they would not believe me anyway.

Sounds like you're a schizophrenic, listening to the little voice in your head that tells you that "I'm God".

You have evidence of God? Nearly every religion on the planet has claimed to have some sort of evidence of God, but none of it has ever been proven, and never will, as the concept of god is a faith based concept based on a bedtime story, not reality.

Nope, no voices in my head. I'm pretty sane, to tell you the truth.

Just because it can't be proven objectively doesn't mean it's not real. I sought subjective proof of God if objective proof is unavailable. I received my proof after asking for it. I figured, I might as well give this religion thing a try and see if it is as they say, rather than asking for tangible evidence from religion first. It is as they say, there is a God, and it's not just a transient feel-good thing either. Many people will not know it till they die.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by 547000

Well that's very accepting of you... only Christianity states that the those who do not believe in Jesus will be damned for eternity does it not? Why would God lead others astray? Or is Christianity only broadly true, as in only the parts about love and the nice bits are true and all the stuff about lakes of fire is poppycock?

I wonder if Jesus was a christian...
I mean, if he was a man, well...he then knew himself/christ and therefore needed to accept him to be saved...

Wouldn't it be ironic if all the chistian stuff was true, but with the twist that Jesus ended up in hell because he forgot to ask himself to bridge the gap between his mankind self and God...

just a interesting thought...ok, back to your regularly scheduled dogma.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

ok, I think I broke through the code.

The ouija board channels your own subconscious beliefs and fears...so when it was chatting about God and whatnot, it was not some all knowing wise spirit...it was your previous innundation manifesting itself.

Is there more to the board? meh, one can speculate, but it is most certainly colored with your subconscious belief system...a buddist using the board will get buddist confirmations also.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by 547000

Well, if it is as they say, then I don't think God will judge them harshly. How can a righteous judge judge unrighteously? Especially since they had experiences that lead them there, and didn't just believe because it was the done thing. I don't know if there is a Hell or not; I just know that there is something special about that Jesus fellow.

I really don't believe that there is a Satan. I believe in the Jesus part though, that He was the Son of God, but I also believe you should worship God, not Him. My views are unorthodox.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by 547000]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
reply to post by 547000

ok, I think I broke through the code.

The ouija board channels your own subconscious beliefs and fears...so when it was chatting about God and whatnot, it was not some all knowing wise spirit...it was your previous innundation manifesting itself.

Is there more to the board? meh, one can speculate, but it is most certainly colored with your subconscious belief system...a buddist using the board will get buddist confirmations also.

I wasn't using an ouija board.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Well, to answer the OP, the first thing I would wonder about is what would happen to my soul (and those of all people) when I die. If there's no omniscient deity of any kind that will bring souls of the dead into some form of everlasting life (for good or bad) then where does the life force go upon bodily death? That's what I'd be most concerned about. Then I might have to consider the notion of reincarnation (which I personally don't believe in), but then again, that tends to be a spiritual belief as well and the rhetorical question of the OP seems to preclude all of that.

Now, if you mean that organized religion ceased to exist, I'd probably miss what few church functions I manage to attend (which is tough to do when you have to work on weekends) but that's about it.

Threads like this really have a way of bringing out those who disparage (perhaps that's too kind of a word) people of faith, or simply the idea of someone having faith in one or more deities. Some liken the belief in God to the belief in a child's fairytale, which is insulting. Essentially this can be done with many things - for instance, there are political views that some people have that make me shake my head, and wonder how on earth someone could support such ideology. But, and here's the big but - those people are entitled to those beliefs, however nutty they may sound to me or some others.

When I was in college I studied Wicca, and actually attended some ceremonies led by a local practitioner, but I eventually decided that Wicca wasn't for me and I have stuck to my Christian beliefs ever since. That religion isn't what I personally believe but I'm not going to poke fun at them or any other faith or even lack thereof.

Part of the problem is that those who ardently push a point of view (and yes, this includes many Christians and peoples of other faiths, as well as some atheists) end up repelling those they would wish to "convert". If you want people to follow you (whether into a chosen faith or to even reject faith in favor of atheism) 'tis far better to encourage rather than condemn.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join