It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, What happens to you if/when religion is proven false?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
If that were to honestly happen, I would feel very sad for all of the believers. I really would. It's healthy to believe in something. It wouldn't be good to take that away from people. As hard as it is for me...I want to believe.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

This is a hypothetical question posed overall to gauge some thinking into the plethora of attention the common person gives dieties around the world and how it interferes with them.

So, the senario is simple, you get complete and full evidence that the religion or general dogma you follow is false...lets say it comes to you in a way that leaves you no doubt (say a time travelling device fell onto your lap, and out of curiousity, you checked out all the religious stories to find out none of it happened..just some leaders making stuff up to control the cults and whatnot..).

what if going back in time and getting stuck back in time is what created religions in the first place? (hypothetically??)

one would have done what billions of other have not been able to do, .... or what billions of others have been unwilling to share with others out of fear of how the world might change, how societies working parts may fail if this were to become known to everyone simultaneously worldwide.

interesting topic,
et

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by femeile mironosite

Seriously...you signed up to ATS for the specific purpose of posting a off topic post in this forum?

This is not some apologetics forum, this is a theoretical question...if pondering a simple question got you so emotionally moved to sign up for something to simply post a love jesus rant, what does that say about your security in your own faith? You can only take care of yourself.

Now, Welcome to ATS...how about keeping things on topic...how would you respond if you got a time machine and found out jesus was a made up person by some old hebrew scholars that needed a new hero...would you be completely crushed or would you still have a core spiritual desire for being a moral and better person?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
It never will be because the term 'religion' is an umbrella term that defines personal philosophies; it's etymology connects it with religare "to bind fast", via notion of "place an obligation on", a code of personal principles, in the same manner that 'science' comes from scientia, which is Latin for knowledge, and 'art' is artem, Latin for "skill as a result of learning or practice". There are lots of 'religions', 'sciences', and 'arts'.

The day 'religion' is 'disproven' as 'false', is the same day that individualism has been destroyed.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
To OP:
I can't answer your question because I have no doubt in my mind already that God is real. I can't prove it to anyone else but I know this to be true.

i]reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Luke 16:19-31 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’ 25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’ 27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father’s house, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’ 29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’ 30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ 31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ “

[edit on 4-9-2010 by LAinhabitant]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by 547000

What about those that experience something that confirms Hinduism or Judaism or Scientology or Shamanism?

Do you reject their experiences or do you accept those belief systems as equally valid?

Lol, you'd reject ALL of these experiences before even having knowledge of what was experienced.

I don't see how that time travel scenario would be evidence. Think of Descartes, and his demon/lucid dream arguments about reality. Who's to say that the time machine wasn't a "deceiving machine"

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Hypothetically, I would become rather nihilistic.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by cLOUDDEAD]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

Originally posted by gate13
the theory of evolution can not be proved true. A story based on assumption.

At least God is a story not just based on faith but scripture is based on eye witness accounts.

so when the ever changing story on evolution is proved which it wont (just an assumption :lol
then we can start talking about
There is no GOD

How can eye witness accounts contribute to God being real?
www.usbible.com...
www.messiahtruth.com...

Looks like I just proven you wrong!

havnt got time to read threw your link but i will in due time.

one of them talks about astronomy

"Up until 1492, the biblical view of a flat earth was a commonly accepted belief."

Isaiah 40:22: “There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth,” or as other translations say, “the globe of the earth”

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I really think alot of people are missing the point of the OP. "How would YOU feel...", not to bypass any level of critical thinking by quoting biblical passages but to actually think about it with your mind.

I couldnt say really how I would feel because I always question everything and I do not give my self to a specific faith. However I am agnostic, which is I believe in the possibility 'something'. So in saying that, if I was prooven that there really is nothing I would be incredibly depressed. I would feel hollow and empty. It would not be fun.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Whether God created Man or the other way around, the purported existance of God (or whatever names we may recognize) was of primary importance to Man. Without the faith in or the fear of such a supernatural being I feel we surely wouldn't have made it this far.
And if you believe Man is basically good and would not have obliterated himself before now then consider standing at a busy intersection while watching all the cars running amber and red lights; our basic tendancy is to cheat and without those 'rules' created to govern Man we are basically screwed!

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by cLOUDDEAD

Of course I'd reject the experiences of OTHERS as evidence a supernatural entity was real.

Would you assume aliens are real merely because people claim to have seen them or been abducted?

Would you assume Athena was real if she was seen by someone?

It would be foolhardy in the extreme to accept the unproven claims of anyone. No matter how real the experience was for them someone else's supernatural experiences cannot serve as the basis for my beliefs about what's real or else I'd end up believing in thousands of different contradictory things.

reply to post by 547000

My views are unorthodox.

Keep them that way. The last thing the world needs is another blind follower accepting what they're told

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
newsflash
there are over 5000 diffrent religions,so at least 4999 are (prove)false
i still believe in a higher power witch u CANNOT proof wrong cuz u cant even begin to understrand wat religion is about

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Religion doesn't change spirituality. When people are FREED from certain religions they'll be angry at first at having been decieved for so long. Then they'll discover their own spirituality ... which may or may not include a diety.

It'll free some .. it'll chain some with anger.

Everyone will act differently when the real TRUTH is revealed.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I can't call myself a devotee of religion or anything for that matter. Personally, I don't think anything earth shattering would happen to the hardcore devotees of any particular belief (or non-belief). If someone can subscribe to any particular type of belief adheres to it full on, then it's safe to say that they'd believe in another kind of belief in the drop of a hat.

People aren't as hardheaded as they look. A bunch of Christian fundamentalists can switch to being atheists if their peers are into atheism. Same goes to atheists surrounded by Christian fundamentalists.

It's all about going with the flow. Whatever religion you adhere into, may that be Islamic, atheist, Christian, Shamanism, lion alien worshippers, Sphagetti Monster devotees, witchcraft people, Scientology, or whatever, when push comes to shove, peer pressure almost always win. The opposite reaction abandoning of abandoning one's belief is true as well.

Insta-belief change.

It's only when someone from the other side of the fence attacks another person's religion that they become defensive. Somehow it strengthens a religion by having an opposition. Kind of like Evolutionists vs. Creationists.

When the survival mechanism of the group doesn't kick in, the process of group think will die off.

That's just my viewpoint from a neutral position.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by Unregistered]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Messiah_Tooth_Fairy

I too made a similar discovery and felt the weight being lifted from my shoulders, the guilt that the oppressed religious doctrines tried to brainwash me with was released. I was free from the bondage of religious dogma.

I was 12 when I found out Henry VIII created my families religion the Church of England so he could divorce a wife or behead another wife or just have a mistress or three... So I took up the Baptist faith only to find out at 17yrs of age from the local pastor at our youth group that if a child is not baptised he/she will go to hell ("even a baby", I asked..."yes" was the reply) Home in tears to the gentle words of my dad...find your faith he said, God is a God of love and would not torture a child for eternity in hell...by the way he said... what if there is no hell? so on with my quest...Now aged 47 and a member of the 'hug a tree tribe' My God is not in a church, but living in my heart which is my temple. My God is the wind and the rain the light and the dark, the ying and the yang, the stars and the earth, the good and the bad. If God created everything then God for me is in everything.

If all religion was found to be false. I imagine some industrious person would very quickly invent another religion. People like to follow someone or something. They give their money away to religions and someone out there always finds a way to get that money.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Unfortunately, there is simply no definitive answer or assumption(s) that can be made as a blanket statment in the event that religion(as a whole) were to be proven false, or true for that matter. Despite any proof or evidence that works for or against religion(even the type that is concrete), it will always be looked upon by some as undeniable proof, some will waffle on the fence, and some will find a way to discredit. Infact, thats just how it plays out now. So, in essence, there would be no overwhelming change in the overall hearts and minds of men(and woman) if "proof" was given one way or the other.

I am curious though......

What kind of 'proof' could possibly be given to 100% sway opinion to belief or disbelief? If God/Jesus himself came down and started to preform miracles in plain view of the world, do you think everyone would embrace religion? You do not think some would be uninspired claiming 'aliens' or something? And as for discrediting to the point of proof, what could possibly do that?

link   
dp....

[edit on 4-9-2010 by HomeBrew]

link   
tp... :/

[edit on 4-9-2010 by HomeBrew]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomeBrew

I am curious though......

What kind of 'proof' could possibly be given to 100% sway opinion to belief or disbelief? If God/Jesus himself came down and started to preform miracles in plain view of the world, do you think everyone would embrace religion? You do not think some would be uninspired claiming 'aliens' or something? And as for discrediting to the point of proof, what could possibly do that?

I can only speak for me, but I was a hardcore atheist, but my opinion changed instantly when I experienced invisible stigmata after asking for proof to God such that it would sway my belief that there is no God. Then many months later I experienced the presence of a light, and though I couldn't see it, I could feel its presence, and that light radiated love and bliss to a magnitude I've never experienced in my life, almost infinite in nature.

So for me it would be direct experience of the divine or something to give me a scrap of personal evidence that there is a higher power. I don't need objective proof that everyone else approves of, but some personal evidence that there is something higher that is listening to my prayers.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Well this is the old problem with skepticism. I believe than religion is false until one has religious experinces to back up their belief. I do not see how anyone can prove religion to be consistently false. Yet the strength of a single religious experience can give someone sufficient belief for the rest of their life.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join