It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rupert Murdoch is now influencing the British Government...again!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I can't believe this is actually happening.

Rupert Murdochs News International is infiltrating the British government.

In light of the New York Times article, this is hitting the headlines in the UK today.....

BBC article

Former editor Andy Coulson is now an aide to the British Prime Minister, David Cameron.
"Mr Coulson became David Cameron's communications director in 2007 and is now a senior No 10 aide."
[edit] No surprise to hear The Sun newspaper switched allegiance to the Conservatives in September 2009. As a former News of the World editor was already on board with the Conservatives, before they won the election. Smell a rat?

Would you let a former editor (who denies knowledge of phone-tapping) into Downing Street?
Bare in mind the Murdoch publication (News of the World) has a terrible reputation for tapping in on phone calls, and spying on celebs whilst on holiday. It is also famous for setting up celebrities, members of the royal family etc, by means of entrapment. Remember the recent Sarah Ferguson incident accepting money for the privilege of meeting her former husband.
Sarah Ferguson accepts cash from News of the World

So why does David Cameron hire him? Why is the British Prime Minister hiring a former editor of a Murdoch publication which is renowned for poor, scandalous, gutter journalism.
Does it not speak volumes about Britains new leader?
Does it come as any surprise to hear that Downing Street, even as I type this, has made no comment on the whole incident?

I am lead to believe in the US, Murdoch claims this is nothing but a publicity stunt in an attempt to harm Murdochs publications. RUBBISH!

I ask ATS members in the States to fight this, and fight the corrupt Murdoch empire. Do not subscribe to his newspapers, TV stations etc etc. Fox news? Are you serious? Our equivalent is Sky News, a joke.

Former Prime minister Margaret Thatcher changed the regulations in the 80's, and yes Murdoch visited her in Downing St. Shortly afterwards riots broke out at a major printing plant for Fleet St (the home of UK newspapers) was closed and moved to an automated site. Did not go down too well with the unions.

Just before the recent UK general election, the Sun newspaper (Murdoch's News International) switched allegiance from the Labour party, to guess who? The Conservatives. Who is in power now? The Conservatives. Who is advising the Prime Minister? A former Murdoch employee. It stinks.

Murdoch controls a 1/3rd of the worlds media now, in fact, through his Fox, Sky, and Star networks, he is probably controlling and influencing half of the worlds TV consumers. I am frightened for this.

We in the UK are being sold "Sky Television" as a means of watching exclusive shows long before the terrestrial television networks can broadcast. Well no wonder, these shows are all produced by 20th Century Fox, which is a News Corporation company. Murdoch.
So the people in the US have already "paid for" these programmes, and yet Murdoch tries to sell them to us for a fee, and on top of that, there are too many ad-breaks. I thought the ads paid for television programmes?

Prior to Thatcher changing the regulation, if a TV channel was subscription based then it would be ad free. Sky is subscription based and not ad free. Money Money Money for Murdoch.

Murdochs son spoke to the UK last year and said the BBC and it's licence fee is strangling quality journalism. WHAT? Go anywhere in the world and the BBC has respect for what it stands for, and the truth it reports. Who the hell do the Murdochs think they are?
In response to this, the BBC's director general said Sky should stop focussing on marketing and focus more on producing home grown television. Sky's marketing budget is bigger than the budget the BBC receives from the Licence fee!
Sky television is just another outlet for spewing out all the Fox programmes made in the US, it's a money making venture and he IS NOT making programmes in the UK for the UK, unlike the BBC.

Sorry if I have gone off track, but I hope you understand the point to all of this.

Murdochs former News of the World editor (who had to resign due to being caught out with the phone tapping scandal) is now an aide to the British Prime Minister. He denies any knowledge of phone tapping? Really? Why should I believe you? You worked for Murdoch.

Please take the side of the New York Times and fight Murdoch. He must be STOPPED from influencing the powers that be, as he already has too much power and influence.

[edit on 3/9/2010 by Thistled]

[edit on 3/9/2010 by Thistled]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Well at least we(Americans) are not alone in dealing with this psychopathic lunatic elitist. Now he's trying to corrupt, divide and destroy your country like he has been doing to ours.

Good luck!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

He's been doing it since Thatcher changed the legislation in the 80's. It's just that now, one of his editors is in the British government.

He is getting worse, and getting away with it.

I wonder how much Murdoch has donated to the British Conservative Party?
He's donated $1mill to the Republicans has he not? Yep, no doubt the Conservatives will be counting his pennies.

I would put money on it, all Conservative MP's who are now in power, all have FREE SKY television.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

That would not surprise me in the least.

Your news broadcasters invite your MP's on television for interviews right? Just watch Sky News and see how many Lib Dems or Labour members go on compared to Conservative.

It's sick how everything is being corrupted by big business.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
We all know that the uber rich have their tentacles deep into the governments all over the world. Governments hire people from specific players in the private sector. On the flip side officials and bureaucrats go back into those specific sectors once they leave the government. But the two way ties are neat tidy. This cozy two way relationship is clearly cultivated by the billionaires for their own benefit.

The New Yorker ran a brilliant expose recently about the Koch brothers, American billionaires, who are secretly funneling millions of dollars to fund the "Tea Party" movement in the states. Why? Because the tea party plays into their hands as they want to dismantle government and its environmental and social programs almost in its entirety.

www.newyorker.com...

Tea partiers are oblivious to this influence. In Canada Murdock's ex employees are being streamlined to take over control of our media watchdog, the CRTC, so that a Fox news type station can begin to do here what they do there.

Thanks for starting this thread. It helps when we can begin to show exactly how these billionaires are taking control via the backdoor.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
With the bad reporting from the New York Times, their inability to do proper journalism and investigation, and many times flat out lies.....

There is no way in HELL i would support the New York times.......just another MSM propaganda machine

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
"and the world did give worship to the image of the beast"

Murdoch to me is sly tongued devil whos love for power and money outweighs his humanity. Turn off your tv's and throw them out, except for Doctor Who, everything else over there is complete rubbish. I mean whats on tv..

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Don't forget he tried this crap in Australia too.

A little rundown on who Rupert Murdoch is:
Who is Rupert Murdoch?

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
These guys get their money from many different sources. Not watching their media is one thing to do. Another, and more difficult thing is to determine what products and/companies fall under their control and do not purchase those products.

Something as simple as buying "Dixie cups" contributes to the billionaires who are trying to turn America into a dog eat dog lawless society with every man for himself. Brawney towels is also controlled by the same guys through a chain of companies under the roof of a conglomerate.

We don't often make an association between the products we buy and the unscrupulous billionaire who profits (and in turn uses those profits against us by buying out politicians; etc. etc.)

One day I would like to see a clear chart of what crook owns what company so that I have some sort of ability to choose what I buy/who I support or don't. Its about the only infuence we have; or it will be once they silence the internet.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

In this instance, the New York Times is telling the truth. It's making waves in the UK just now. Check the BBC article link in the original post.

With hand on heart PM Camerons aide "knew nothing about phone tapping". This means the British government is in bed with Murdoch now.

Want more proof? Look at his times homepage, nearly all the ads promoting the new website feature imagery of David Cameron, and yes, you've guessed it, The Times is (unfortunately) now a Murdoch publication.

The Times (UK) homepage
Oh look who gets the big picture on the frontpage?

UPDATE: All ads on the homepage this morning featured David Cameron, but now suddenly they have disappeared. I wonder if this in light of the news in the UK today of his aide. Hmmm. Murdoch publications being told to back off on the Cameron propaganda? Perhaps.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

And I'm lead to believe he is no longer welcome in Australia. Wonder why?
Of course, he is now an American citizen isn't he.

Did he not have to pledge allegiance to the US in order to begin his onslaught of swallowing up the American media?

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Great post, interesting points and questions highlighted. It shows that Rupert Murdoch cares more about power/money than he does the well being of his loyal subscribers.

Not to mention how rediuclous and over exaggerated the football coverage is. It's way over the top and just pure distraction for the alpha-males of britain who only cares for football and beer.

My friends parents hate him and refuse to pay for his services, shame my parents are as clued up as his.

Good post, S+F

Peace

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I completely agree with this post.

Murdoch has too much power and influence and really needs to be brought down a few notches. Then again, any human being with a lust for power tends to abuse it so its no surprise.

And lets not forget that nasty piece of work Cameron and his coalition who is screwing as many poor people as he can. Yes I know its the tory way and its to be expected - still doesnt make it right! He is just as responsible - he could always say "no".

this country is corrupt throughout, everywhere seems to be rife with corrupt people just abusing their positions for financial gain. Then I look at the mess other countries are in and despair for the future of the good people and other species on this planet.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

Not to mention how rediuclous and over exaggerated the football coverage is. It's way over the top and just pure distraction for the alpha-males of britain who only cares for football and beer.

Something else which meanders in and out of the media every so often is the debate about "subscription TV" and "national heritage" sports events.

I grew up in the 70's, and there was an abundance of "heritage" sport on TV, but since Murdoch came along with subscription sports channels, we are left with nothing. Murdoch pulls in on the revenue of his wempire (wicked empire) to outbid the other stations, and always wins. It's called Sky Sports in the UK, and it has the rights to nearly all our heritage sports.
This is another reason why some premiership soccer players are earning over £37,000 a week! Yes, a week.

Murdoch has killed sport "for free" on British television. It's gone. Now the economic bubble has burst, and more people are having to think about how much money is in their pocket, I hope his subscriptions take a tumble, and I mean a big tumble.

There is now a culture of people in the UK who subscribe to Sky television, completely unaware of Murdoch and what he is doing with their money.

Bring down his wempire, and we will reclaim our heritage sports for all to watch.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
UPDATE

So it IS NOW CLAIMED former editor of the News of the World DID ask a journalist to tap into the former Deputy Prime Ministers phone line.

"A former reporter on the paper told the BBC he had been asked to hack into phone messages by Andy Coulson, then editor, now an aide to David Cameron."
Source: BBC news

Man, I can't believe it. This guy is an aide to our Prime Minister.

Time to bring down Cameron and his new coalition.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Really interesting, i grew up in the 90s so i was pretty much bred into this subscription based TV, Sky being the most prominent i can remember. (not that i have been interested in subscribing myself)

It really does stink that corruption like this can go on, There's nothing we can do though (except protest and make people aware) Because where there is money, there is always power.

There needs to be some sort of legislation separating these two entities, a more deserved and righetous route to political "power".

[That's another word i hate being used in British goverment - "power" It shouldn't be called that, the goverment are here to serve the people, not control them and abuse "power".]

Virgin Media seem to be going down the same route too but i'm unaware of any state/goverment involvement on their part.

Thanks again for all this information, it really is eye opening.

I feel a Sky Smear campaign coming, keep exposing and sharing information like this.

Peace

A&A

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

Virgin Media seem to be going down the same route too but i'm unaware of any state/goverment involvement on their part.

Virgin Media is a Richard Branson company. I am not sure if he still owns it or not.
I don't think there will be any state involvement on their part as the Conservatives have blocked all his plans. Remember his bid to run the lottery in the UK? Which was the fairest in terms of everyone is a winner. Well, he lost. His proposal would have given the most to good causes, and less to government. But Camelot won the contract, and their board is /was full of Conservative supporters.

I think a Sky smear is on the way,
as it is time Murdoch woke up to the fact that not all the people in the world support his wempire and everything he stands for.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
UPDATE

It is almost midnight in the UK, and still no word from Downing Street with regards to this. (apart from they are standing by Andy Coulson)

Either they are hoping the dust will settle and we can all forget about it, or they are standing by their man. I will not let the dust settle on this matter.

Either way, the British Prime Minister is working (if that is what you want to call it) with a liar, a man who was responsible for gutter journalism, add to that the sleaze and dirty tactics which they employ to achieve the smear. Disgusting. Are Conservatives not supposedly above all of that? Doesn't look like it.

This is totally outrageous, and I call upon the people of the UK to challenge the ethics and morals of Cameron and his coalition. They would rather work with those responsible for dirt and sleaze than deal with the real issues which face the country.

Instead we are constantly told how they are tidying up the mess left over by the previous government, and yes, they will work with Murdoch and use his newspapers / TV as a means of reiterating this.

For the record, the British people are becoming increasingly tired of these accusations, and to be honest, it's time to change the broken record. It's the same old tories, of the old boys network, who are looking after their own, and will employ whatever dirty tactic need be to discredit an argument.

Shame on you Cameron. You DO NOT deserve to lead the country, and if it wasn't for the coalition, you would still be second place.

Can't you tell I am getting angry now.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
UPDATE

A new twist in the Andy Coulson story.

Mark Thompson is The Director General of the BBC, (he is thee top man) visited Downing Street yesterday, although he claimed the meeting was arranged a few months ago. The agenda? To discuss how the BBC will deal with broadcasting a series of programmes with regards to the impending cuts the Conservative government are about to impose on the nation.

Article from BBC news website
I think it has been suggested to the BBC not to criticise the "state" when it comes to producing these programmes. I.E. Don't make the state look bad or we will hurt you.

I read into this with a cautious approach. The whole incident stinks of the Andy Coulson affair, which dominated the main bulletins on Friday 3rd September.

I can't help but smell a rat. I sense Andy Coulson has advised PM Cameron to summon the BBC boss to discuss the whole incident. Please bare in mind, the BBC licence fee talks are set to take place next year, and now the Conservatives are in power, sweeping changes are afoot. In opposition, they have been calling for the licence fee to be scrapped, and for less regulation on the state broadcaster. Sound familiar?

Click the link to the article below, and see if it jogs your memory.

BBC article on James Murdoch 2009

That's right, you can go right back to the 1980's when Rupert Murdoch visited Thatcher in the UK and all sorts of things started to work in his favour. Ever since, Murdoch has been lobbying the Conservatives and influencing ministers.

Let me sum up what I think happened yesterday in Downing Street.

Prime Minister Cameron, clearly under the guidance of Andy Coulson, summoned the BBC boss and threatened him with a serious overhaul of the BBC, if they did not back off. Which is exactly what the Murdoch wempire wants. It needs a radical overhaul of the BBC if Sky Television is to be the dominant force in UK television.

Murdoch has won, Cameron is in power and is going to change legislation which will mean the death of the BBC. With regards to Conservative politicians appearing on BBC programmes, has anyone in the UK noticed how more often than not nowadays, we hear the news presenter say "we asked so and so to come on to the programme but they declined" or "so and so refused to comment". But, if you flick over to Sky News (Murdoch news channel) you will see all the Conservative MP's falling over themselves to get on the news.
Am I the only one seeing the connection here?
What makes me laugh is the fact Sky has just over 7 million subscribers, so if I was an MP and wanted to get my message out to the masses, I would use the BBC, as it is available IN EVERY HOUSEHOLD in the UK, Sky IS NOT. Doh! Stupid politicians.
This is just snobbery on behalf of Conservative MP's who accuse the BBC of being slightly left of the divide, and of course, Conservatives "don't do" left. You will find all the right wing viewpoints on the Murdoch networks / publications etc.

I tend not to feel sorry for the high and mighty in this country, but yesterday I actually felt sorry for BBC boss Mark Thompson. Imagine being summoned by your Prime Minister knowing that the agenda is all influenced by Rupert Murdoch.

Some will say Andy Coulson resigned from his position at the News of the World, he no longer works for Rupert Murdoch, therefore you CANNOT make such allegations.
Why not? That's the ethic of the News of the World newspaper. You CANNOT argue with that.

Why is a former tabloid newspaper editor (with the worst reputation in the UK) sitting in Downing Street "aiding" the Prime Minister?

You will love this, it's a real winner for Murdoch.
Andy Coulsons official title is........

"Director of Communications"

You know what that means don't you? We'll have to subscribe for press releases.

new topics

top topics

join