It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocking!! Cop lets 11 Year Old Girl Die in Car from Asthma Attack

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Did the cop even know about the child's condition? Was the child even alive during the time the driver was dealing with the cop? I couldn't figure any of that out from the article.

Also, after he detained the driver, he still would have had to call EMTs onto the scene and wait for them to arrive. This is the reason why it would have been better for the driver to wait.

[edit on 3-9-2010 by AdAbsurdum]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Hell I am a mortician and know CPR.

Every responsible person should know the basics. Because by not knowing the statement you are making to the world is...

" I want to be saved but cant be bothered even trying to learn to save you"

In N.Z. it does take a while for an Ambulance, but that is because we do not have many hospitals. We just do not have the population density to have dozens like some cities.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdAbsurdum
reply to post by oozyism

Did the cop even know about the child's condition? Was the child even alive during the time the driver was dealing with the cop? I couldn't figure any of that out from the article.

Also, after he detained the driver, he still would have had to call EMTs onto the scene and wait for them to arrive. This is the reason why it would have been better for the driver to wait.

[edit on 3-9-2010 by AdAbsurdum]

Watch the first link I posted, it is a video..

The news report has more detail, and a witness says how the cop told the mother with a smirk on his face that he don't do CPR.

Kind of sad really..

Once again, my point was, why didn't he arrest the mom and take the kid to the hospital with the fast car of his that the TAX PAYERS paid for?

It is an insult, and yes she did tell him..

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Watch the first link I posted, it is a video..

If I could I would. I can't and there are others who post here who will also be unable too, that's why I am asking you.

Once again, my point was, why didn't he arrest the mom and take the kid to the hospital with the fast car of his that the TAX PAYERS paid for?

That isn't how it works procedurally. He has to wait for EMTs to get on scene. Our tax payer dollars don't buy police cars so they can play ambulance, that's why we have ambulances. That is why the driver should have stayed put.

It is an insult, and yes she did tell him..

What is an insult? Where and when did she do this? Why was a good samaritan performing CPR on her on the way to the hospital... Why was he even going with her to the hospital? Did he offer his car so they moved her again?

I live in Denver, if the cop messed up I'll be demanding his head on a spike. I just don't see that yet.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
calling 911 would have been faster.

We all know how easy it is to drive while paniked and sufficating surely if she would have died half way there and smashed into bus filled with newborn babies this whole discussion would be differnt.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAbsurdum

I think you get the point right? Why was he following her? Instead he could have put them both on his own car that America paid for, and chase the hospital like he is chasing a criminal.

Don't you think it is odd that cops get to the scene of a petty crime to lock someone up, but can't help a mom save her daughter by taking them to the hospital?

Please don't talk about procedures, I can guarantee 100% that the cop wouldn't have lost his job if he had driven the little girl to the hospital, infact he would have been regarded as a hero in the eyes of the family and thousands of other Americans, not to mention non-Americans when they hear the story.

I would say sorry even if I wasn't there, "I'm sorry for your lost"/ But the police officer was there, and he is hiding like a coward.

That is my point.

Thanks for the discussion

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

I think you get the point right? Why was he following her? Instead he could have put them both on his own car that America paid for, and chase the hospital like he is chasing a criminal.

Could have, but he didn't. Hind sight is 20/20. For what ever reason, he may might of thought it wasn't a big deal.

Don't you think it is odd that cops get to the scene of a petty crime to lock someone up, but can't help a mom save her daughter by taking them to the hospital?

No, because that's what cops do. EMTs take people to the hospital. It isn't some vast conspiracy to me. Birds fly, fish swim, cops arrest people, EMTs take injured people to hospitals.

Please don't talk about procedures, I can guarantee 100% that the cop wouldn't have lost his job if he had driven the little girl to the hospital, infact he would have been regarded as a hero in the eyes of the family and thousands of other Americans, not to mention non-Americans when they hear the story.

And what if the girl died on the way there? We would be shouting that he should of waited for EMTs just like we are shouting that the driver should of waited. That's why procedures exist. They aren't created just willy nilly. There is a precedent that creates those rules.

Also, I am not too concerned with what non-Americans think of my country. I immigrated here in 2003 and honestly, despite Her imperfections, I am glad I did.

Thanks for the discussion

No worries.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Seems if the cops left after finding out the child had died.....they know they did wrong. Was the mother wrong for wanting to get help for her daughter? Could she have waited? Would we still have the same outcome? We'll never know, but we do know this "cop" is at least party responsible for her death........no charges for this coward though. Just another example of why not to ask for help from them....uncaring, unless they are generating revenue.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
this is all because the nypd is paying their officers poor salaries, and are accepting pretty much anyone into their ranks.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This is disgusting.

My question is it seems that these types of interviews of greiving families are nearly always minorities. I'm sure similar events happen to white families. What is up with the media? Or is it only minorities that are victimized in this fashion?

Of course the girl probably never would have had the asthma attack if the air in NYC weren't so filthy and polluted.

[edit on 3-9-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by utahjay

"It doesn't make all cops bad. Don't break the law and they won't be on your case."

utahjay, If only this were true. What a naive statement.

One wonders if you actually think about what you are saying before you hit the reply button! Really! Deny Ignorance.

[edit on 3-9-2010 by maya27]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

What I want to know is, if it is compulsory for COPS in the US to learn CPR.

Does anyone know>?

That's exactly what I was thinking... I France where I live, it is, and a cop would be in alot of trouble in France for not helping a person in danger, especially as it would not put his life in danger...

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

According to the video, not only are they not sure who the "officer" was, no one is sure it was a police officer. May have been a private security guard.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

You have a great point. It would have been much better to wait for an Ambulance because the ambulance can get there quicker, and likely help the girl right there faster than they can get to the hospital (unless it was with in a couple minutes driving)

But when you're in that situation logic is not your first step, emotion is.
And there's nothing wrong with that when you're daughter is sitting there struggling to breath and desperately needs medical assistance.

The cop should have taken the girl at the very least to the hospital. He could have easily gotten her there in time with his car. But he chose to let her die..

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The Police's actions (or inaction I guess) are totally inexcusable.

That being said, this story should be a lesson to everyone that you need to become as self-sufficient as possible. If CPR would have saved this little girls life, why did NO ONE in the family know CPR?

Their daughter had asthma and the parents didn't know CPR?

The problem here isn't just the Police, it's this sense of dependency people have on authorities. If you don't trust ambulances to show up to your house in 5 minutes, then you better have a Plan B. Plan B should not be endangering other people's lives and depending on the Police. Plan B should be proper training, proper supplies, knowing your routes (so you don't go the wrong way down a one way street), practicing your routes BEFORE an emergency happens.

If you don't have a Plan B, you are putting the fate of your daughter in the hands of some a--hole cop on a power trip and possibly putting your freedom at risk if you strike a pedestrian in your blind panic to get your daughter to safety.

Parenting is about being responsible for the well being of your children, not acting like a slave to authority.

[edit on 3-9-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I think that in my area the average time is six minutes..

I'm pretty sure that cops are also required to do CPR. But I think many of them also have First Responder Certifications from the State and the NREMT.. I know that a lot of the security around here are required to have a First Responder Cert. Which makes sense since they will be literally the first responders if someone has an issue at their place of employment be it medical or otherwise..

A ambulance based on chance was probably closer than usual since they were out on a street, and ambulance generally post in different locations on street corners.. So the ambulance could have easily been two street downs when this parent took off.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Mendez is expected to face administrative charges of failing to take proper action and report the incident, but he has not been charged with a crime.
here

Turns out they do know who he is, and yes he is a cop, and it only took him 4 days to step forward and admit it.

On Tuesday evening, Police Officer Olfonso Mendez, 30, was forced to turn over his gun and shield and was suspended without pay for his role in a traffic stop that may have resulted in the death of Briana Ojeda, police said.

Why did he fail to report the incident? Why did it take him 4 days to step forward?

[edit on 3-9-2010 by ThatDGgirl]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Here's the thing about it.. An emergency inhaler could have easily saved this girl, with no call to 911, no blind panic. Just a few puffs and she could have lived.

No need for CPR even.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

But there's no reason he could have not taken her to the hospital. Even though it's an EMTs job to do that, I can't think of a reason they wouldn't. But I've not had am cops training.. only an EMTs training. Cops do more than just arrest people. They are supposed to help people. I would not expect him to have provided her any care, I doubt he could have, but he could of put the girl in the car, the mother in the back and taken the girl to the hospital.

If there's anyone thats an LEO that has reason why they couldn't.. I'd love to hear it, because I am curious about it.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I have said it a million times on ATS before...

The only good cop is a dead cop.

They are the largest organized street gang in the country. They take what they want, intimidate who they want, beat who they want and kill who they want.

Who is there to protect us from the police?

The cop who stood there and let the girl die engaged in a violent act. An asthma attack is a HORRIBLE way to die. He would have been more thoughtful and more humane if he had simply drawn his gun and shot her in the head... but if he had done something thoughtful and humane, he really wouldn't be a cop...

Someone needs to hit the re-set button.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join